Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you about this being my first bike venture into the bike world? i have ridden a dirt bike long time ago. When i was a youth, as most of you. thanks for the advice. I know it was the ZX600 a few years ago and seems somewhat tame. So what advice do you all have. thanks ...Mike

·
Registered
361 Posts
the new 05 zzr600 is the zx6r of three years ago. probably not the best starter bike

the previous model 04 was the old zx600e, different bike, commonly refered to as the "e" box, not a bad bike, dated by todays SS bike standards, but I think they are still more capable then a first rider is.

either model is probably more then I would recommend a total noob and neither without safety gear and the MSF course first

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's do-able if you don't get ahead of yourself and take all the precautions. Make sure you take the MSF class and practice in parking lots until your 100% comfortable. Being your first bike, you will most likely drop it in one way or another, which is why people suggest lighter bike with less fairings.

A ZZR600 is definately not the optimal beginner bike and if you mess up, there will be ZERO forgiving features to help you out of the situation.

The best path of action, in my opinion, is to ride a 500 Ninja, GS500, or Ninja 250 (older, cheaper ones) for about 2000 miles atleast to get the basics down on more forgiving bikes, then sell it (and they sell FAST) and buy a newer ZZR600 that would act as your more permanent bike, that you might keep for a couple years.

One last thing: Make sure you buy all your gear beforehand. Jacket, gloves, boots and a helmet are the must-haves (also buy pants if your going to be riding outside of town on the highways).

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
1st bike after MSF

buy small 500cc or less, buy used, buy cheap, buy cash

it's your first bike, not last.

and an '05 zzr600 is NOT a beginner bike.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I started on the 2000 ZX6r and this is the same bike. I got flamed here when I first talked about it being my first bike. It is doable but your really still getting a SS. They are 10ths of a second slower in a few things but with the right rider its faster than those newbs who buy the latest and greatest. Definately not a tuned down bike in the least bit. Just a couple years older technology. The 2000 was supposedly the fastest 600 that year.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
It's still alot of bike for a first bike, I would suggest getting a used EX500 or something simular to start out with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the zzr is too much for starters

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for all the info, I am going today to look and talk to the Kawasaki dealer. I was leaning toward the GS500F but Its ugly as far as color so not sure. I am abit older then the rest of you but If I don't do this now I may never and regret not riding. If I regret then at least I tried. I am single but getting remarried and my lady is not real excited.. So we'll see. But you have been very helpful and I am trying to get the Motorcycle course. But its hard here cause they have it filled in a matter of days. very popular here in WV. I WILL NOT RIDE TILL I GET THE Course.. And may ever do twice. Again thanks ..Mike

·
Registered
597 Posts
Take the course definitely. You don't want to get this bike and then change your mind about the course. Then you'll be in over your head.
Read those reviews. Makes me love my bike even more.
My only problem with the reviews is that a couple years ago it was the most potent 600 sportbike and all of a sudden the only thing that has changed is the name and now it is ok for a beginner. I don't think mankind has evolved so much in 5 years that now this is considered a beginner bike. Sounds funny to me. Anyway, it is an awesome bike and I love it.
For what it is worth, I was at the honda dealership and was talking about my bike with a salesman and he was surprised it was my first bike. (I know I shouldn't have gotten it) anyway, I have been told it was the best bike that year by many and so don't think you are really getting a detuned sportbike. IT HAULS ARSE! Lifted my front tire under hard excelleration in 2nd and I was leaning foward to keep it down! I believe those reviews about midrange power. Anyway, I am just rambling sorry. Good luck with your choice. Take that course no matter what bike you get. It is the best thing I ever did.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
first bike

buy small cc (500 or less) buy used, buy cash

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 04 and let me just tell you that it is extremely hard to just keep the front wheel on the ground when going through the gears, way to much bike for a noob.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
monty'scircus said:
I have an 04 and let me just tell you that it is extremely hard to just keep the front wheel on the ground when going through the gears, way to much bike for a noob.
hm. this is what the friend who rode mine into storage for me (before i took the msf, before i brought the bike down to florida) said about mine why he finally decided it was cool for me: it doesn't wheelie easily at all. He actually TRIED to wheelie it and it didn't...so i'd have to be trying really hard (or screwing up to the infinite power) to wheelie mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my first bike was a 2001 zx-6e. just remember its bout 100 pounds heavier than the other 600's, I learned that the hard way

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Why not look at a cheap used bike that you won't lose money on when you want to upgrade? You could definately do worse, but you could do a lot better...

Either way, keep the sticky side down, the shiny side up, and I hope to see you on the road! :cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks

Well the people around this area seemed like they were not really interested in selling me a Kawasaki SOOOOO I bought a (yes I hear you all now) Harley. as a starter. far off I know but you had to be hear. Seems no sales man around this area in Sports bike wanted to sell unless it was in stock All they had around here was 636's and 6r's. To much for me .but thanks for the advice and bless you all. .... Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts