Sport Bikes banner

701 - 714 of 714 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone looking at getting rid of their old pipe? I am in the military (Army) and moved to Germany in Dec with a Yoshi pipe, but the Air Force guys said they won't inspect it because it is too loud, even with the baffle! I tried stuffing it with motorcycle exhaust stuffing, they said they won't even look at it with it in there. I'm sure I should be posting somewhere else, but this site is huge and I don't want to get lost in all the posts. i appreciate any help!

Mike
I have mine from a 2008 ZZR 600 with only 300miles on it. Its like brand new. I've had my scorpion exhaust on since then. Give me your zip and i'll look at shipping costs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
exhaust

I got a titanium scorpion bolt on from ebay a few weeks ago. I was surprised at how something simple like an aftermarket exhaust can make my ZZR feel like a whole new bike.
It was easy to put on and is not to loud. There is a slight hesitation around
6k rpm but it doesnt bother me. The can is crazy light weight compared to the stock one.
I was never interested in getting an exhaust because I wasnt going to paying the high prices, but the one I got was listed for $250 or best offer. I got it for $200. It was new in the box.
There is one more if anyone is looking for one.
NOS Scorpion Titanium Exhaust for Kawasaki 2000 - 2001 ZX6R - 5201229 | eBay

·
Registered
26 Posts
There you are sir. However, the pop I was talking about is from the can at idle at a certain angle. If you want the back pressure pop (or whatever it is that causes that) let me know I can make a vid of it... have one already. BTW it's still fkin raining here so she's under the covers (can't match the rev's from the first clip yet).

Click here to watch fisrt-sound-test

Here's a better "pop" :lao
Click here to watch some small whees
How do you pop a wheelie?

·
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
How do you pop a wheelie?
Just an observation..Your definitely a strange one. Asking how to pop a wheelie in an Exhaust thread. Perhaps if you asked the question in the http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/stunterz-corner/ you might get some answers. You appear to be Newbie and IMO you need to learn how to just ride the bike first before you get really hurt. Remember your the guy that couldn't figure out how remove the cotter pin from the rear axle and now your asking how to pop wheelies...You need to take baby steps.

Originally Posted by Pilmo
how do u get the cotter pin out?

·
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Rode today with the insert installed in my Yoshimura RS3 for the first time. It was definetly quieter. I actually think it sounds better, smoother. I noticed the throttle response was improved over running it with a wide open baffle. Also noticed on decel it wasn't poping anymore. It was nearly all gone after installing the European Spec ECU, but now it's all gone.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Rode today with the insert installed in my Yoshimura RS3 for the first time. It was definetly quieter. I actually think it sounds better, smoother. I noticed the throttle response was improved over running it with a wide open baffle. Also noticed on decel it wasn't poping anymore. It was nearly all gone after installing the European Spec ECU, but now it's all gone.

Jay, your getting more back pressure so its more than likely giving you better low rpm response. Top end, is where the Open Baffle will show its advantage as the bike will be able to move that extra air and make better power.

European Spec ECU, as you know I have this too. The difference to me is the bike runs hotter. This will cause better combustion less unburnt gas coming out of the exhaust pipe. I am thinking the ECU was setup this way to help pass more strict Euro emissions laws at that time. I will admit my bike ran better with the install but new plugs and a carb sync was performed at that time so it leaves a little doubt about the ECU.

I am not liking the hotter running bike and will more than likely switch back come summer.

Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jay, your getting more back pressure so its more than likely giving you better low rpm response. Top end, is where the Open Baffle will show its advantage as the bike will be able to move that extra air and make better power.

European Spec ECU, as you know I have this too. The difference to me is the bike runs hotter. This will cause better combustion less unburnt gas coming out of the exhaust pipe. I am thinking the ECU was setup this way to help pass more strict Euro emissions laws at that time. I will admit my bike ran better with the install but new plugs and a carb sync was performed at that time so it leaves a little doubt about the ECU.

I am not liking the hotter running bike and will more than likely switch back come summer.

Whats your thoughts?
If its burning fuel more efficiently I would leave it the way it is. The bike runs hot at a stand still anyway. Its nothing to worry about because our bikes are liquid cooled.

Air cooled bikes on the other hand i would not want to make any mods that would make them run hotter unless your racing the bike and you are not in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If its burning fuel more efficiently I would leave it the way it is. The bike runs hot at a stand still anyway. Its nothing to worry about because our bikes are liquid cooled.

Air cooled bikes on the other hand i would not want to make any mods that would make them run hotter unless your racing the bike and you are not in stop and go traffic.

No Worries..Just a comfort thing...

My bike would run in the 160ish range with the stock ECU. The Euro ECU 180ish range. On a hot summer day that 20 degrees makes a difference in slow moving traffic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
But...... lol, I personally see no reason to make such a modification on my bike because of how well it performs as it is. I'm not even sure if i want to change the ignition timing, another popular mod.

I believe people make these adjustments and gain improvements say in the low end... and lose something in the high end. Or it could be completely all made up in ones mind lol.

Here is my take on it, I believe putting standard mods aside, aftermarket air filters,exhaust, carb shims<if needed>. Your money would be better served performing general maintenance on the bike.

Plugs, carb sync, clean air filter, valve adjustment etc. and if you you feel are are missing some power in the low end or top end a gear ratio change would be a more effective way of achieving how you would prefer your bike to perform at low to high speeds.

At the moment my bike pulls so hard until it tops out i really cant imagine a improvement over the performance that I am getting out of it right now. I raced a mustang the other day and my front wheel was leaving the ground in 3rd gear lol. +4 rear ftw.

All about preference.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No Worries..Just a comfort thing...

My bike would run in the 160ish range with the stock ECU. The Euro ECU 180ish range. On a hot summer day that 20 degrees makes a difference in slow moving traffic.

You want your bike running around 180f anyway. Thats when the power really gets tapped into. 160 is too cold for our bikes. My bike hits 220f on hot days sitting at stop lights. of course the fan has kicked in by that point.

in a hot climate totally normal.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
But...... lol, I personally see no reason to make such a modification on my bike because of how well it performs as it is. I'm not even sure if i want to change the ignition timing, another popular mod.

I believe people make these adjustments and gain improvements say in the low end... and lose something in the high end. Or it could be completely all made up in ones mind lol.

Here is my take on it, I believe putting standard mods aside, aftermarket air filters,exhaust, carb shims<if needed>. Your money would be better served performing general maintenance on the bike.

Plugs, carb sync, clean air filter, valve adjustment etc. and if you you feel are are missing some power in the low end or top end a gear ratio change would be a more effective way of achieving how you would prefer your bike to perform at low to high speeds.

At the moment my bike pulls so hard until it tops out i really cant imagine a improvement over the performance that I am getting out of it right now. I raced a mustang the other day and my front wheel was leaving the ground in 3rd gear lol. +4 rear ftw.

All about preference.
Valid point on the maintenance, but by going up teeth on the rear you are sacrificing gas mileage and range - two very important things if you tour or ride long distance.

Euro ECU results in better throttle response, reduced engine braking, and slightly improved gas mileage.

Ignition advancer sharpens throttle response.

Aftermarket air filter and exhaust open the engine up on both ends, and rejetting (if done properly) can allow for more power with same or better fuel economy.

I have done all of these to my bike, and I keep the carbs in sync, the valves in spec, and the service up to date. I recently took my ZZR on a 5,000 mile, 21 day, 9 state mid-west trip, and I averaged around 45mpg, even though we were running well over 80 mph in the remote areas of the country. That was with full bags on the bike. With just me and the bike, riding conservatively, I can top 50 mpg.

Aside from the cost of gas, range is important when riding out West. Stations can be few and far between. It can mean the difference between riding and walking.

By going up that many teeth, you sacrifice top end for acceleration in most cases. At highway speeds I'd imagine that the engine is screaming.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ya for sure, I still catch myself trying to shift into 6th when I'm already in it from time to time :p. I will be buying another bike purely for sport touring of course I'll never sell the 600:luvpanda and I don't regret going +4 on the Rear in any way.

*edit*This setup is also perfect for track days where all you have is twists and turns that top end doesn't come into play often depending on the track of course. We have a group of us that rent out an entire track.

Jennings track earth map https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Jennings,+FL+32053&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=30.57621,-83.156312&spn=0.010586,0.027122&t=h&om=1

·
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #714
Those clips are so old and there gone. I don't have them anymore.

701 - 714 of 714 Posts