Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
It appears that gstwin.com took the page down. We probably were jacking up his available monthly bandwidth. I have re-posted his article on my site and noted the original author and location. I have virtually limitless bandwidth, so it shouldn't be a problem hosting for a long time.

The article is available here

Enjoy guys and gals !!

FYI, if you ever need to find an old website, use the WayBackMachine

-=<> Aaron <>=-

·
Registered
36 Posts
curse the machine/man who tighted the screws to the farthest right vacuum valve cover.

I feel like hunting him down and set a pack of rabid raccoons on him...

·
Registered
12 Posts
did two shims...quick n easy. Call me crazy but I used Krazy glue to glue the O-rings to the vaccuum caps so I never have to deal with that crap again. Lost one on the first one took forever to find it lol I was pissed.

Much smoother on the bottom end and mid-range..could be a power inrease. I could swear first gear powerup wheelies are much easier.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
did two shims...quick n easy. Call me crazy but I used Krazy glue to glue the O-rings to the vaccuum caps so I never have to deal with that crap again. Lost one on the first one took forever to find it lol I was pissed.

Much smoother on the bottom end and mid-range..could be a power inrease. I could swear first gear powerup wheelies are much easier.
For a less permanent solution, you can get them to stay in place with a smear of petroleum jelly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got done! Runs great and no o-ring trouble at ALL! (just put a little petroleum jelly over them)
Thanks to all you guys showing/telling me what to do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Figure I'd ask here before posting a whole new thread,

How many of you HAD to re-sync the carbs after shimming??

Reason being is that I'm adding the BMC street filter, ignition advancer, and shimming the needles all at once (already have the D&D bolt on). Is this going to royaly F something up. It is an 08 with 4K miles.

All the how to posts for the above have been great but after reading the DIY $5.00 carb sync my brain feels like Helen Keller. Everyones made everything screw up proof except for the carb sync.

please once again how many had to re-sync? Thank you

·
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Reason being is that I'm adding the BMC street filter, ignition advancer, and shimming the needles all at once (already have the D&D bolt on). Is this going to royally F something up. It is an 08 with 4K miles.

All the how to posts for the above have been great but after reading the DIY $5.00 carb sync my brain feels like Helen Keller. Everyones made everything screw up proof except for the carb sync.

I'm running a Yoshimura RS-3, Factory Pro +4 degree ignition advancer and K&N air filter with one shim under each main jet needle. I checked the carb sync, but mine didn't need any adjustment after the shims.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Reason being is that I'm adding the BMC street filter, ignition advancer, and shimming the needles all at once (already have the D&D bolt on). Is this going to royaly F something up. It is an 08 with 4K miles.

After shimming mine i figured i'd sync the carbs since eveything was off. I also have an '08 with 4.5k miles on it, and they were pretty off. My suggestion is if you have the tools you might as well check. It's not that hard and if everything is off for the shimming the vacuum lines are right there.

FYI if you plan on syncing the carbs you are gonna need an Auxillary Gas Tank. It looks like an IV that they use at hospitals 'cept it hooks up to your fuel line. I've found them for $25 including shipping on ebay. I realized i needed on after i took off the gas tank and thought to myself... now how is this gonna run with no gas :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
i have installed a scorpion GP pipe, ignition +4, 2 shims. my carbs didnt really NEED to be synced but i just wanted to know for myself. if your the kind of person that it will eat at you till you know for sure then just do it. i didnt notice any difference in mine after syncing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a viper can already and installed two shims and a K&N filter at the same time and mine wasnt off sync afterwards. Oh and mines an 08 with 6500miles

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had one shim for a while and didn't notice much, added another one today and the difference is noticeable. I have a Yoshi RS3 with no baffle, ignition advancer, and K&N filter. I also removed the KCA valve so that may have something to do with it also.

·
Registered
470 Posts
hey Farsscf. tell me if you have trouble startin after a ride. say it sits for 30-60min then you try to fire her up. ever since i added the 2nd shim she stubborn to start warm. but a little throttle is all she needs.

·
Registered
504 Posts
hey Farsscf. tell me if you have trouble startin after a ride. say it sits for 30-60min then you try to fire her up. ever since i added the 2nd shim she stubborn to start warm. but a little throttle is all she needs.
Will do, of course it is pouring here today after I did this mod yesterday.

·
37 Posts
took it all apart, checked the first carb, the o ring stayed in place....one radioshack didn't have the washer, got some from home depot....toobig in diameter...gonna check other radioshacks tomorrow....

ohhh. one question.....I shot my Akra exhaust last september on a track day...can I put the stock exhaust for a while before I get a new one or is it going run too rich ?

·
37 Posts
Job done

Got the washers from shack, finished the job today :banana everything went like breeze, did not loose any o rings.....but still will be while before I fire her up...the article was great and the suppli pictures for the O ring helped a lot..

41 - 60 of 94 Posts