Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's a matter of personal preference on whether or not you want to spend the cash for a jet kit. I have personally talked with several service managers at different Kawasaki dealerships about installing a jet kit with a bolt-on exhaust and they have expressed to me that it's really not necessary to have a jet kit for a bolt-on. They did say that if your going with a full exhaust system that it would be more beneficial for optimum performance to have a jet kit installed. I personally have my main jet needles shimmed. This has helped with smoothing out the mid range power band on the ZZR. It eliminates the factory lean settings. It's also much cheaper than a jet kit. Regards, Jay

http://andrewsimagery.com/personal/shim/index.html

·
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shim Specs: Shims are .020" thick and 3mm ID you can find something close enough at Radio Shack. Radio Shack Model: Flat washers Catalog #: 64-3022

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all...This is a project that I will attempt to accomplish in the near future.

I do have two question about the o-ring under the vacuum valve cover.

Question 1: After shimming, we accomplish the directions in Rocket's post in reverse. Where does the o-ring go back on to? Assuming it falls, it would be difficult to gauge where the o-ring came from.

Question 2: The instructions say they is "one tiny o-ring under the vacuum valve cover. Does this mean the o-ring is only on one of the valves?

I saw a pic of the o-rings on ebay to get an idea as to how small it actually is.
eBay Motors: Kawasaki KZ650, 1000, 1300 - Carburetor O Ring (4) (item 170101240263 end time Apr-06-08 12:35:36 PDT)

Thanks for any inputs.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi all...This is a project that I will attempt to accomplish in the near future.

Question 1: After shimming, we accomplish the directions in Rocket's post in reverse. Where does the o-ring go back on to? Assuming it falls, it would be difficult to gauge where the o-ring came from.

Question 2: The instructions say they is "one tiny o-ring under the vacuum valve cover. Does this mean the o-ring is only on one of the valves?

I saw a pic of the o-rings on ebay to get an idea as to how small it actually is.
eBay Motors: Kawasaki KZ650, 1000, 1300 - Carburetor O Ring (4) (item 170101240263 end time Apr-06-08 12:35:36 PDT)

Thanks for any inputs.
The mod is easy. I wouldn't spend $10 on those when you can go to radio shack and get a ton of them for $2 and not have to pay shipping.

·
Registered
991 Posts

Thanks for any inputs.

Each vacuum valve cover has one of these o-rings. They are smaller than the rubber bands you would use for braces. If you were sitting on your bike doing the work looking down you will see a little hole when you take the vv cover off. Two of mine stayed in but two fell out. One word of advice is to loosen all the screws, then before you pop the cover off, cup your hand underneath it. This is how I caught the two that fell out. Not that bad if you ask me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I avoided doing this for a long time in fear of the orings. While there were plenty of warnings about them, I didn't know what I was looking for going into this project. I did it and took some pictures of where the o-rings are and what they look like. Luckily all mine stayed in place. I hope these pictures help others feel a little more comfortable doing this mod.

·
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bye bye Sticky.

·
Registered
470 Posts
to bad to hear this is not a sticky anymore. this is valuable info. its unfortunate some people dont review stickys or search the forum prior to posting a problem. but regardless a sticky should be anything that is valuable to every rider. which this is. if i didnt see this as a sticky i never would have known that this was possible. my .02

·
Registered
290 Posts
I finally did it and as every one says it is no big deal. I put a paper towel under the o-ring location just in case it fell out but they stayed in place. Since I dont have a local radio shack here in Germany I went to the hardware store with a feeler gauge and found a washer that was .020 thick with a 3mm ID. If Home depot has washers with the same designation an M3 washer is perfect.

All said in done I still cant power the front up in first but good god, it pulls like a raped ape in the mid range. Very noticeable power increase in the mid range and now has a very linear feel to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You should've been able to power up first completely stock. mine does pretty easily. But I am glad to hear you are makeing more mid-range pull. I have yet to do this mod but plan to.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You should've been able to power up first completely stock. mine does pretty easily. But I am glad to hear you are makeing more mid-range pull. I have yet to do this mod but plan to.
With my gear on I am just over 200 lbs, I tend to ride in a forward posistion, and the race shop set my rear suspension full stiff. Sometimes on rare occasions I feel the front come up a couple inches but thats about it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
so while my bike is apart and in pieces I think im going to shim.
I went over to radio crack and picked up the assortment pack #64-3022 but, which ones are .020" thick and 3mm ID out of this big pack? I'm guessing you use a feeler gauge to get the size info? On my way to pick one up from auto zone.

Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When you take your needles out there will be a washer already on there. Use the same size as that one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I went over to radio crack and picked up the assortment pack #64-3022 but, which ones are .020" thick and 3mm ID out of this big pack?
the pack says #2,#4,#6,#8 washers. you want #4 just find which is the second smallest. thats what i did.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the info, they both worked. I bought a feeler gauge anyway to add to my collection. Just waiting on a few more parts before I start her up and take for a spin on the new shim job. It was fairly easy to do and I as well just used a white papertowel to catch any of the o-rings but, I got lucky and they stayed in there HOME!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts