Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, this is my first post to SBN sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I have an 07 zzr600 the problem i am having is that if i idle for 10-15 minutes (heavy traffic or even looking for a parking spot in a packed lot) my bike starts to heat up, goes from riding temp of 180-190 and climbs over 200 eventually making it up to 230 and finally 238 then HI before i shut her down to cool.

The fans do kick on around 230, and if i can get her up to speed around 30mph or so she will start to cool down, but it is really a problem when riding in traffic, which is sometimes unavoidable.

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Replace the thermostat, and install a switch to keep the fan on at all times. Sportsbikes are not meant to sit in traffic and idle.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Check coolant level as well. Better yet, 6 year old coolant--flush it and install new.

But yes, high compression engines require airflow to keep cool. Fan switch would be a top priority for traffic

·
Experienced Novice rider.
16 Posts
Had the same problem living here in Orlando during the summer days. What I did was flushed the coolant system and refilled with engine ice which helped. But when at red lights I stay away closest to the median and stay fat away from the vehicle tailpipe in front of me. I give it a lot of space since the fans on my bike will be pulling in the hot air from the vehicle in front and thus it will not cool efficiently.
Staying closer to the open side will allow some clean air to flow.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I put a nice manual switch on my fan, solved the issues for me. I run Engine ice and a muzzy fan to help.......Dallas is a suburb of hell so it gets hot here

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had the same issue with my ZX-9... pretty much, the same bike.

A thorough Coolant flush, and make sure you get all the air out of the system when you refill it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts