Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ZZR 600 refuses to start

Hi, can anyone help?
Loaded my 1996 ZZR onto my trailer in order to transport it 120 miles away to attend a group trip. Just before leaving,for my piece of mind I fired up the bike on the choke and it started first time. I knocked off the choke and bike idled for about a minute then stopped. I was happy that it ran fine so left. Tank is quarter full.
Arrived with my group 3hrs later. With bike still on the trailer,turned ignition on and saw that I had left the fuel tap on. Pulled the choke and cranked the bike over and it would just not start. I thought maybe I had flooded it...badly. At one point it backfired and I could smell fuel when I put my head near the fuel tap. The battery ended up dieing adter cranking it on and off for the best part of 30 min.
Left the bike for 24 hours and charged the battery. Went to start the bike again as usual and still nothing, no hint of it firing.
Am I missing something? Could something have happened to the bike while on the trip over? Roads were rough and trailer did jar about a bit?
Needless to say, I didnt start the trip.
Any help would be massively appreciated.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Things I'd suggest:

Check the battery terminals for corrosion
Check the terminals to see if they vibrated loose
Check the voltage on the battery
Check to see if the gauges cycle and the LEDs/bulbs on the dask illuminate when the key is in the on position
Check the fuses under the seat

Check the kickstand switch and
Check the clutch switch *or*
Try and start the bike sitting on it with the stand up and the bike in neutral

Could have been flooded and you killed the battery trying to start it, but if you put the battery on a charger it should at least turn the engine over if it is still good.

Can you try and swap a battery with a buddy just to see? Have you tried to bump start it?

Reactions: ZZRrocket

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mate, thank you for all your suggestions. I cleaned up the battery connections and put a new battery on it and started! Happy days, thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts