Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas about this? I just bought a Kawi xz7r, started fine when the seller showed it. He said sometimes it won't start cuz there is an electrical problem somewhere. So I get it home, it won't start. All I get when I hit the starter switch is a clicking noise. Under the seat is the main fusebox, and that is where the clicking is coming from (a relay inside?). So the relay is clicking, but nothing is happening. Sound like a loose wire going to the starter motor or something? Anyone have an expertise with this? i hate electrical problems...

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
I had that when my battery was nearly dead.

Clean the battery contacts. Scrape off some lead from the terminals, and scrape the other cable's wire plate contact thing until it shines.

You might also have corrosion anywhere along the path to the starter, but I'd check the batt first.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
battery probably wont hold a charge. put it on a battery tender and see if it'll charge up enough to start.

if the battery wont hold, go get a new one. I'm guessing the guy had a bad battery and just charged it right before you got there to purchase. motorcycle batteries typically dont last very long compared to car batteries. make sure you invest in a quality battery tender and put it on it if you dont plan on riding for a few days.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
It's the battery. I had that issue just yesterday .. i got the bike last week. I freaked out and asked him to take it back and he offered to but he did fix it. The battery died cause i left the ignition on w/ the headlights without leaving the engine running.

We even took it to a dealer and they said it can't hold a charge and it's dead. HOWEVER, he had something called a battery tender that juices the battery back up (for 10 hours) and it worked. The tender showed "charged" and now it's working. Get a new battery (i found a lot on ebay for $35 shipped) or use a battery tender.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll try juicing up the battery. But when I turn the key to on, I get the bright neutral light, so the battery already seems to be charged up. Guess I'll just have to rip all the wires up on the way to the starter, ugh.

·
Registered
153 Posts
check the battery fluid level if is low it will do that some times thats what happend to my wifes bike so i just replaced it and then it was good to go

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Jonxmann said:
Ok, I'll try juicing up the battery. But when I turn the key to on, I get the bright neutral light, so the battery already seems to be charged up. Guess I'll just have to rip all the wires up on the way to the starter, ugh.
it takes very little juice to light up the neutral and parking lamps. it takes a lot of energy to actually energize the starter and fire up the bike. put the charger on it and try and let it charge up. try to start it. if it doesnt start it, start it with the charger hooked up.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Measure the voltage when it's just sitting there, and when you're trying to start it. If to drops a lot when you're trying to start it, you know it's dead. Also if it takes very little time to charge it (with a tender), it doesn't have any capacity left.

If the battery is more than 2 years old, it's probably dead.

The reason I suggested to clean the contacts is because the guy said sometimes it won't start. A dead battery will mean it always won't start. Though he probably was understating the issue..

New battery is a good idea anyway, just for the peace of mind that it won't die on you a hundred miles from home.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is the bike in nuetral?Or clutch in?
On the left hand side while your on the bike look at check the wire harness to be sure it clears the header
Check and see if using jumper cables makes a difference?
Check all contacts
Check system with meter

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
that may be something to try. sometimes I get some sort of an interlock after recharging where I have to have the clutch in even with the trans in neutral to start the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just hooked it up to my car and jumped it yesterday, started right up, so it was just a bad battery after all. It's weird because it needs a jump to get started, but then after it's running it'll run all day with no problem. I think I'll just get a new battery to be sure, but I hope it's still not an alternator/regulator/rectifier issue...Anyone ever had to deal with those components going bad?

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
My ZX7 had the same problem. It's the starter relay. Thats the little box where the + / - connections run into, it has a small rubber cover over the connections.

If you lighty tap the relay while hitting the starter it fires right up. Sometimes as they get old the magnetic points wear and cause it to fail. So a slight tap tap tap tells it whos boss. :cheers

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Jonxmann said:
I just hooked it up to my car and jumped it yesterday, started right up, so it was just a bad battery after all. It's weird because it needs a jump to get started, but then after it's running it'll run all day with no problem. I think I'll just get a new battery to be sure, but I hope it's still not an alternator/regulator/rectifier issue...Anyone ever had to deal with those components going bad?
From what you're saying, it's the battery and nothing else. Don't skimp on a new one, either.

Once it's started, the alternator will provide all the juice it needs, as well as keep charging the battery.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yes, the battery is on its way out. they are usually fragile and require a lot of TLC (tender, loving charging). The TLC is pretty easy though if you have one of these:

http://www.batterytender.com/

Whenever it sits for a while, pop the seat and put this on the battery terminals. These batteries like to be trickle charged continuously, not zapped by a jump start. I agree with enos, dont skimp on the battery a cheapie might not last 6 months.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
My ZX7 had the same problem. It's the starter relay. Thats the little box where the + / - connections run into, it has a small rubber cover over the connections.

If you lighty tap the relay while hitting the starter it fires right up. Sometimes as they get old the magnetic points wear and cause it to fail. So a slight tap tap tap tells it whos boss. :cheers

+1, I got the same problem with mine... I think. My girl and I were riding and stopped at a gas station, filled it up, went to get back on, had the key "ON", then the lights went out(neutral/oil). All of a sudden it seemed like I had no power at all with the Key-ON. I popped the seat, fiddled around with some wires, and the lights came back on. I thought I was a lose connection at first, but when it happened again; I touched nothing and after about 10 secs the lights came back on. I was thinking solenoid, when looking for the "suspect" part.

The difference here is when my problem occurs, the gauge lights turn off, and I hear a click under the seat. Is this what you are experiencing with ur ZX7?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The difference here is when my problem occurs, the gauge lights turn off, and I hear a click under the seat. Is this what you are experiencing with ur ZX7?
Yeah, the gauge lights would dim when I hit the starter, and I'd get a clicking noise from under the seat. As far as I can tell, as long as the bike as power it'll start, so hopefully my clicky relay isn't dying like Anti-Hero. Damn motorcycle batteries are expensive too...

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
climb21cj said:
+1, I got the same problem with mine... I think. My girl and I were riding and stopped at a gas station, filled it up, went to get back on, had the key "ON", then the lights went out(neutral/oil). All of a sudden it seemed like I had no power at all with the Key-ON. I popped the seat, fiddled around with some wires, and the lights came back on. I thought I was a lose connection at first, but when it happened again; I touched nothing and after about 10 secs the lights came back on. I was thinking solenoid, when looking for the "suspect" part.

Clean your battery contacts. I mean scrape them clean. Until they shine.

I had something like you're saying on my TL. At first I would loose all electrical for a second or so (while doing 40mph..). Then it got worse and would die until it got jiggled. It would run for 100 yards then completely die. Cleaned the contacts and it never happened again.

Start with the simple stuff. Those contacts corrode and cause trouble.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
enos said:
Clean your battery contacts. I mean scrape them clean. Until they shine.

I had something like you're saying on my TL. At first I would loose all electrical for a second or so (while doing 40mph..). Then it got worse and would die until it got jiggled. It would run for 100 yards then completely die. Cleaned the contacts and it never happened again.

Start with the simple stuff. Those contacts corrode and cause trouble.

Thanks for the tip, will do that right away, it hasn't happened while riding luckily, and i dont want it to either

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
climb21cj said:

Yes. That click you hear is the magnetic relay. For whatever reason it's not getting enough juice to make the connection. could be the battery, could be the relay. Could be anything inbetween, honestly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my 93 zx7r is doing the same thing. when i go to try and start it one single click from the junction box. i can say for sure right now that it is not the battery. well i tried something new yesterday i jumped the solenoid but this time while i was jumping the starter solenoid i pressed the start button to and it finally fired up but was not running right so i turned it off. when i turned it off the neutral light went off and now the neutral light is not coming back on someone please help this is my only form of transportation. thanks james

1 - 20 of 22 Posts