Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my rather weird problem that has me pulling my hair out. My bike ran fine for about 1200 miles after buying it from my friend who had had no such problems in the five years he owned it. Then, it got hot and started to boil. Fine, so I pull over, let her cool and throw some water in it to get it home. First thing I replace is the thermostat... still getting hot. So I take the thermostat back out and go without... still getting hot. Next I take all the plastic off and drain all the coolant and pull apart the water pump. Looks fine to my eyes, and its a pretty damn basic pump after all. So then I go out and buy some clear plastic hose and stick that between pump intake and radiator output to check for flow. Can't quite get the angle right to rid the tubing of all bubbles, but sure as heck looks like she's pumping plenty of water. So now I am stuck wondering is it a pump problem, gunk in the radiator, or something else. If it was head gasket, I would be getting coolant in crankcase, oil in coolant, and/or be smoking white like a steam engine. I am really hoping to not spend too much $ without actually fixing the problem. Pump is around 150, and I have no idea on the radiator. I don't know if I even want to mess with it if it is an engine problem. Please help if you have ever heard of anything like this before!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
sounds like you went over all the basics, so im kinda stumped to. how what speeds, what type of riding is it over heating at? Is the fan working properly? maybe buy some cheap parts off ebay. if it doesnt work resell them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's the problem, it happens at all speeds. it has been cool out lately and that doesnt even help. it will heat up continuously at a nice easy highway speed as well as at low or high idle... just depends on how fast i want it to get hot. i just got back from having both my cap and my dad's v65 magna cap pressure tested, and both were well within spec. (i have tried both on my bike) i guess that i will just give her another good flushing to see if that helps. if that doesnt work, i guess i am on to finding a different water pump and/or radiator. but please, keep the ideas coming everybody! thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Likely a head gasket. Gasses are escaping into the coolant under pressure from combustion. This makes the coolant pretty much useless right where it's needed most.

It's not a hard fix, Taking the engine out is as easy as: propping the engine up, unbolting it, and lifting the bike off of it. At this point the head is a piece of cake to remove. Might as well do a valve adjust (and maybe even put new valves in if the bike has more than 60,000 miles) while you have it apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts