Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a '93 ZX-6. The owner says that the engine sputters after running 30 minutes or so. A friend of mine says the bike may need to have the valve clearances set. I am planning on having the bike checked out by a mechanic before buying it. It has 21k miles on the body and 13k miles on the engine and transmission. I was told the transmission was replaced because second gear was really messed up. He wants $2700 for the bike, what do you guys think?

Several of the early 90's ZX-6's I've looked at seem to have lots of problems with the bikes jumping out of 2nd gear or 2nd gear being very rough. Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
40 Posts
$2700 is an awful lot for a 93 ZX6 (zx6r or ZX6c [the 600R- smaller one that i have]). i paid $1600 for my 94 600R that basically needs fairing work...im just bout down sanding it down and i need to now paint it. it also needs a few little cheap parts and i gotta fix the electrical system...the owner before the guy i got it from jury rigged the electrical system so the high beam switch is another engine kill switch and i dont have any high beams...i got a wiring harness from a 95 600R for $10 so it should be in a few days and that should fix it. the subframe was also slightly tweaked we saw later on, but i found one on ebay for $20.

nonetheless, fixing the bike up wont cost me much and right now ill be able to go around and resell it for more cuz how much its been cleaned up

but $2700 is what you MIGHT want to consider paying for the ZX6R in good/working condition...bout $2200 if its the ZX6C (600R)...with those big problems, ur bound to find a bunch of smaller problems and itll cost more and more money

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Koffee said:
I am looking at buying a '93 ZX-6. The owner says that the engine sputters after running 30 minutes or so. A friend of mine says the bike may need to have the valve clearances set. I am planning on having the bike checked out by a mechanic before buying it. It has 21k miles on the body and 13k miles on the engine and transmission. I was told the transmission was replaced because second gear was really messed up. He wants $2700 for the bike, what do you guys think?

Several of the early 90's ZX-6's I've looked at seem to have lots of problems with the bikes jumping out of 2nd gear or 2nd gear being very rough. Is this a common problem?
Is the ZX6 a ZX6-E1?
Does it have three spoke wheels?
Does the instrument cluster have a fuel guage?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts