Sport Bikes banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product being reviewed - YUASA Smart Shot battery charger/maintainer, Model 12V1500

Product description - For a real powerhouse charger YUASA’s 1.5 amp SmartShot features five-stage charge circuitry that’ll bring a completely discharged and partially sulfated battery back to life. SmartShot’s 28-day charge recycle circuit automatically re-evaluates the battery’s status when it’s set on the shelf for long-term storage.

Product features - 1500 mAh of Pure Charging Power
Fully Automatic With Reverse Polarity Protection providing Mistake-Proof Technology
Maintains full charge indefinitely
Includes quick connect rings and alligator clips
Reaches 14.4 Volt peak, then automatically switches to storage
Solid state 3 LED display tells your charge status at a glance
Input: 120VAC @ 60Hz
Output: 12VDC @ 1.5 Adc
Warranty: 2 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty

For most of us, wintertime is an inconvenience that we must unfortunately deal with. When storing or having you bike sit for extended periods of time, it's a well known fact that you battery life can be drastically reduced if it's not properly taken care of. The best thing for a battery is to keep it fully charged when not in use. That's where this Smart Shot charger comes in very handy.

The unit it's self is nice and compact. It's nice to have a small unit like this instead of a normal, bulky battery charger. The unit has a nice long power cord so that you don't have to park your bike 6 inches away from a power outlet to make it reach the bike. The cord that will eventually connect to the bike is about 3 feet long, which is long enough to allow you to set the charger near you bike instead of trying to balance it on your seat or elsewhere on you bike.

The charger comes with two sets of connectors to attach the unit to your battery depending on your application. The first connector has a pair of wires that connects directly to each of the two battery terminals on the battery. Those wire have a quick connect plug on the opposite end that will connect with the charging cord on the main unit. Installation of this connector in straightforward and there is over 12 inches of cord so that you can route the cord on the bike in a way that the quick connect plug is out of the way when you are riding, but then accessible when you need to store your bike and plug in the charger. This quick connect plug also has a rubber protective cap that is teathered to the cord so that when the cord is unpluged from the charger you can cover the quick connect plug on the bike and keep out all the water or road grime that you might run into on your bike. The other connector is a basic pair of alligator clips with the same quick connect plug for those times when you may want to take the entire battery out of the bike and set it on a workbench to charge it. Simply attach the appropriate clip to the appropriate battery terminal and connect the plug to the plug on the main unit.

Once the connectors are attached to the battery by either method, and the connector is plugged into the main unit, the Smart Shot does everything else by it's self. There is nothing more you need to do. When the connection is made to the unit, it will first run a "Test Mode" to check for highly sulfated or shorted cells in the battery. The unit will turn on a red LED if it finds that the battery may be potentially defective. If the battery is good, the charger will start to charge the battery which is indicated by a yellow LED. Once the battery is charged to 14.4Vdc then the unit moves to "Float Mode" which is indicated by a greed LED. It's that simple. If you leave the battery hooked up like this for 6 months, that's just fine. That is exactly what the unit was designed for. Just unhood the quick connect fittings between your bike and the charger whenever you are ready to go for a ride and you will know your battery will be fully charged and ready for that first start of the spring riding season.

I've had this unit hooked to my bike all winter. There were a few days where there were some breaks in the cold weather. I went out to take the bike for a ride and had no problem with starting the bike up after it had been sitting for an extended period of time. In the past, before having the charger, I could always tell that the battery was drained some because it either was very slow to start or sometimes I even had to jump start the bike, which is never good on a battery. After going through batteries prematurely because of this, I'm glad I went with this Smart Shot charger/maintainer. It's about half the price of me getting a new battery, and will defiantly keep me from buying more batteries too often, so the unit will end up paying for it's self in no time at all. I don't know why I waited so long to get one of these. It's a really simple product to use that most people should have in their garage.

Pros: Compact unit, VERY simple to use, extends the life of batteries that get stored over the winter.

Cons: I really can't think of any. This unit works perfectly for what I, or most people, need it to do.

Compared to: Battery Tender is probably a more popular model, but the YUASA has basically the same general features. I went with the YUASA because my bike originally came with a YUASA battery and I was getting a replacement YUASA battery at the time, so I figured I would go with the YUASA charger. I haven't actually had any experience with a different model of charger to compare this to.

Purchase price: $47.00 up to $60.00 depending where you purchase from.

Available to purchase from: I bought from MotorcycleBatteriesUSA.com. They had a great price but I had some trouble with their customer service. I would suggest avoiding them just to save a few bucks. http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2135733#post2135733&conly=

Quality: I would give it a 9.
Ease of install: I would give it a 9. Very easy to install and use
I would rate it 5 out of 5 stars. This unit is very simple to use, and if it keeps me from having to buy a new battery any time soon, then it was worth every penny. Plus, I won't have to worry about having a dead battery the next time the weather warms up and I want to hop on the bike for a quick ride. That alone is almost priceless.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts