Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine you live in a world where speed is electronically controlled, a chip mandated by the government prevents you from going even one mph over the stated speed limit. That same chip also prevents excessive wheel spin and wheelies. Removal of the chip is punishable by some godawful fine you would have to sell your house to pay.

In the world described above, what would be your dream bike? Out of currently available bikes.

Why ask such an odd question? two reason. In the not too distant future cars will drive themselves, accident rates will be reduced to almost nil, and people will get used to it. What place in that world do bikes have? if any I imagine they will be highly restricted.

Two, and the more practical reason, I'm just wondering what bike people think they could have the most fun on without breaking the law.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
So....even trackdays and/or club racing would be reduced to a max speed of 65-70 mph?

That would make for a ridiculously long day of riding at the Nürburgring Nordschleife......

I'd probably still keep the 848.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So....even trackdays and/or club racing would be reduced to a max speed of 65-70 mph?

That would make for a ridiculously long day of riding at the Nürburgring Nordschleife......

I'd probably still keep the 848.
Restrictions apply to the road only, but since the question is geared more towards the street, pretend in this dystopian future the economy has been fixed and you have enough extra money to easily have a second bike for the track so there is no need to have your street bike do dual duty and you're buying a street bike purposefully to be the most fun within the law.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Imagine you live in a world where speed is electronically controlled, a chip mandated by the government prevents you from going even one mph over the stated speed limit. That same chip also prevents excessive wheel spin and wheelies. Removal of the chip is punishable by some godawful fine you would have to sell your house to pay. .

I'm just wondering what bike people think they could have the most fun on without breaking the law.

Honestly? None. I think they would all be boring as hell. I'm sure the answer you are looking for is a 125cc sportbike, or a 250

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dream on lol. At the rate things are going, guns will be illegal before we even get to the automated cars and speed restricted motorcycles.

Honestly? None. I think they would all be boring as hell. I'm sure the answer you are looking for is a 125cc sportbike, or a 250
Nah, my personal choice would probably be KTM690SM, Duke, or something else light with a lot of torque.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Dream on lol. At the rate things are going, guns will be illegal before we even get to the automated cars and speed restricted motorcycles.
\

True

Nah, my personal choice would probably be KTM690SM, Duke, or something else light with a lot of torque.

• Excessive acceleration
  • exhibit of speed
  • Wasteful consumption of precious fuels

That would be chip limited too

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
\
  • Excessive acceleration
  • exhibit of speed
  • Wasteful consumption of precious fuels

That would be chip limited too
I commute on a 250, even within the confines of the law it has room for improvement. It has no grunt and on the freeway it doesn't have enough in reserve to shrug off the wind if mother nature is against you.
I'm also going to say a fair amount of acceleration would still be allowed, for passing and accident avoidance. At least more than a 250 is capable of without a few down shifts and revving its nuts off.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I think I would actually get the bike tha transforms into a decepticon, curses, and can hover.

I mean, who is to say that chip firmware can't be modded in the future as well?

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
This:

Or something similar. And yes, I've whored this picture multiple times.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The Orwellian world you imagine is not our worry for many decades yet; too many ambulance chasing lawyers will sue cos the vehicle couldn't accelerate to pass lol. But really I always imagine a modern big 650 single with 60hp that looks like a 1967 Matchless G80 csr on a nice back road on a lazy summer's day.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
at that rate it would have to go back to 2 strokes and super light weight small bikes and do track days on supermoto or go kart tracks

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
The European model of a Yamaha Tenere. Not the Super Tenere, the slim sexy, Dakar headlight one.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Orwellian world you imagine is not our worry for many decades yet; too many ambulance chasing lawyers will sue cos the vehicle couldn't accelerate to pass lol. But really I always imagine a modern big 650 single with 60hp that looks like a 1967 Matchless G80 csr on a nice back road on a lazy summer's day.
I agree somewhat which is why I didn't list acceleration in the scenarios limits. I can see them limiting it to some G constant to stop "jack rabbit starts", that would still favor big motors so that could still do that max for the entire legal speed range.

·
Registered
691 Posts
1125cr modified to be more like a non-hd powered Ulysses? Brammo Empulse set up more like an electric dual-sport, but maybe making it lighter?
Wait, those don't exist? Alright, how about a BMW X-moto?

They only made that for a year or so, and it's not in production any longer? Crap!

Okay, I guess i'll keep my collection of P.O.S. Jap Crap motorcycles and just move on with life; maybe take up photography. Wait, you mean any one can take a "photograph" with a cell phone and that takes no talent anymore?! Dang it!

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
i'd just forget the bike and some badass 4 wheeler.

I'm no speed demon on 2 wheels...but uhh....I like to get where I'm goin.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts