Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bitchslap I got hit with the big one today by the police and the bike may be up for sale. I got a reckless driving ticket today on the bike. I was riding in my favorite twisties when I came up on a mega slow moving van with an old man driving it. I followed him for quite some time. Me being impatient and thinking there was nobody around I decided to pass him. Unfortunately it was on a double yellow and I had to speed up to do it. Wouldn't you fucking know it. I passed him on the double (yes I know that was dumb) a cop was the first car coming the other way and saw everything. He passed me and I pulled over immediately knowing I was busted. I did so before he even turned around or even had his lights on. I was already pullled over with the bike off when he came back ........ to his surprise. He gave me the lecture about killing myself and taking me to jail. I received the reckless ticket for passing on a double yellow and speeding. I have ZERO points or tickets on my driving record. I plan on getting a lawyer. So, am I fucked and should I put the bike up for sale now? Will I be able to pull a plea/deal with my attorney based on my clean record. What's more likely people? Anyone else deal with a reckless ticket? I couldn't have been more stupid and have done it at a worse moment.

·
Official Forum Killjoy
3,642 Posts
Dude you should be able to plead it down, but getting the lawyer involved is a good idea

·
Registered
376 Posts
Is just one reckless driving ticket really worth selling your bike??? I don't know much about sportbikes and insurance, but I don't see how only this is worth giving up your bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
get the lawyer, let him talk to the officer, perhaps he will plead it down to a non moving violation or something given the fact you were polite and knew you did something wrong enough to the point you pulled over volunatarily. Having a clean license should help you in this situation as well, let the lawyer plead your case, admit your stupidity for passing where you did. See how it pans out, I would not put the bike up for sale just yet. I have had good luck with officers just for being polite and having a clean license. Good luck and keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Jason Jason Jason. Man, getting a lawyer was a good idea, but don't let this one ticket make you think about selling your Tiller.

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping my actions play a positive role in what happens. The only reason I'm considering selling it is because I got pulled over last week as well. I was let off with a warning that time. I guess I'm just feeling like I can't keep myself out of trouble lately and the amount of police around is ridiculous. My failure to contain my need for speed may end up getting me killed eventually. Maybe this is a sign to give it up. If the ticket is put under advisement/probation with fine I may keep it. If I get the points then my insurance is sure to soar through the roof to an unaffordable rate. I don't know what to do at this time.......... I know it's going to cost me some $$$ though.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would get a lawyer, but not put the bike up for sale just yet, wait and see how things turn out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it as much as you are, my friends roommate got pulled over a little while ago doing a wheelie on the interstate at 90+ and then took and exit that was blocked up with traffic and did and endo with out knowing the cop was behind him, the guy didn't have tags showing, they where under his seat, no signals and didn't have proof of insurance, the judge threw out everything except the speeding fine, and as for your insurance going up, they don't run your record unless they have reason too, just tell the judge you'll go to traffic school and the points will not show up when you go to renew your policy with the insurance company.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Stuff happens. You obviously learned your lesson and probably won't pass in a double yellow again, right?

Fine, points on insurance, etc., whatever. Don't sell the bike after two run-ins with LEO. First one a warning? Discount that. Ticket with the second incident? Still not worth selling it.

While back I was with a couple of friends, went up skiing in Maine. No kidding, our driver gets pulled over by the state police on the way up and gets pulled over again by local coming down. Two tickets in one day. He didn't sell his wheels.

You fell off your horse. Just get back on and don't let this phase you too much.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Man, you figure the guy would give you a break because you showed that you knew what you did was wrong. I know, "you play you pay" but he could have just knocked the ticket down a notch or two. Unless you were really close to hitting the cop, then I'd say you got what you deserve.

Don't give up riding, you will regret it. And as the old wise men of SBN like to say "take it to the track" if you feel like you can't contain yourself on the street.

Next time RUN!! I'm kidding...

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Well that just sucks Jason but don't sell the bike,in fact I think maybe it's time you buy yourself a track bike.An SV1000 with some race plastics on it should do the trick.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Differed Adjudication.....I got a reckless ticket a couple of years ago. Pleaded Guilty with Differed Adjudication. 6mo w/o another stop and No Points, Insurance Hike..ect.. The Only Kicker is..... I had to pay close to $600 in fines... :bitchslap ..... Ask your layer about this... And see if its a viable solution in your state.

Good Luck :dblthumb And Don't sell the bike you'll only regret it later.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
i had a reckless for doing a wheelie past a cop at 100mph+ lawyer got it reduced to a non-moving violation and io payed about $1000 including the lawyer fees - money well spent...

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
damn your story makes it sound so tempting to run. Or at least hide in the bushes or something. lol Too bad the cop didn't cut you a break.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
Hmmm, the 'Run or Stop' thread comes to mind in this situation, but what's done is done so where to go from here is the dilema. In '02 I got pulled over in a traffic sting where they were having problems with people blowing past an unloading school bus everyday that was on a 6 lane road with outside turn lanes and a center turn lane as well (this road is literally 9 lanes wide at this spot). I was driving my F-250 Crewcab pick-up at the time and was attempting to get into the center turn lane as this school bus is driving parallel to me 3 lanes to my right. As I started to go into the turn lane (turn signals were on for a few seconds before initiating the lane change) some asshole 16 year old idiot that was tailgating me tries to fly around me down the same turn lane in his wanna-be Fast & the Furious piece of crap during bumper to bumper rush hour 4pm traffic on the busiest road in our city. I luckily saw him accelerating up along side me and yanked my 7500 lb. truck back into the lane I was coming from before we collided (I would have easily knocked his little 2800 lb. car into the oncoming traffic). While I was busy avoiding this accident apparently the school bus 3 lanes to my right (which was parralleling me) had flipped on it's lights to drop off kids along this busy road, I in no way could see the lights from where I was at and the the bus was still moving as I continued on.

A Secretary of State cop was running the sting and he pulls me and another guy over for passing an unloading school bus. I tell him that I had just avoided an accident with the vehicle that was across the street at the gas station (but from his perspective he couldn't have seen it), he claims that I am lying to him and that I am getting a ticket! I tell him that I was paralleling the school bus and there was no way I could see the lights from that position and that the bus was not stopped yet as I continued on. He said it didn't matter and wrote me the $125 ticket and tells me that with my spot less driving record I can go to court and get court supervision, he also EMPHASIZED I didn't need a lawyer for this and it would be a problem free action at court. Since I have learned not to trust cops from past experience I checked into this before the court date and found that in Illinois ANY school related offense is NOT able to recieve court supervision. I also found out that this offense is considered to be as bad as reckless driving and that I would lose my license for 3 months! I was furious that this asshole cop was trying to set me up to lose my drivers license so I got an attorney. I knew of the attorney who had got my brother out of 3 tickets at once (drag racing, speeding, and fleeing) by paying fines and accepting a non-moving violation ticket so I went with him. I told him my story and he ended up getting my ticket reduced to a parking ticket for double the fine and his fee of $150, all together this jerk cop cost me $400. If I had shown up in court unrepresented I would have lost my license, had something as bad as a reckless driving ticket on my record, and would have started paying huge insurance bills. My trust in cops dropped even further after that whole deal! :angry

I would think with a good attorney you should be able to get that either dropped to a non-moving violation or something less severe like a minor speeding ticket or improper lane usage. In Illinois 'careless' driving is a much lesser charge that won't screw you so bad. I would remember exactly what you told the revenue collector (pronounced cop) and if you could use this as a REASON you did what you did. I would say that you couldn't see around the van and that they were driving very erratically for the last several miles changing their speed constantly, they had been weaving in the lane sometimes even going in the gravel and kicking up rocks (if it applied). Say that you saw an opportunity to get around this dangerous driver safely so you took advantage of it. Say that you were so focused on making a safe pass that you hadn't noticed the double yellow line and had'nt realized that you had gone over the speed limit while passing the now slow moving van since you knew that you were going at a speed that you could easily respond to an emergency situation within your view. I would also constantly repeat whatever your going to use as a reason to yourself out loud, this will help to get you comfortable with saying what your response to questions will be and you will sound much more convincing (just don't sound like you've rehearsed a speech). Good luck and get an attorney, it will be cheaper in the long run and help to keep that record looking good (which can influence future decisions in court). :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Why would you sell your bike because of a wreckless driving citation? Seems irrational to me. I don't see it as a sign to give it up, I see it as a sign to quit acting stupid! ;)

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
How did the cop get by this van? I would be interested in wehre the cop passed him (if applicable).....

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's just one of those days Jason, and has nothing to do with "Sign" telling you, you should stop riding/sell your bike. (If you do, I got the first dip :p)

Just chill out for a while and ride like "you DIDN'T steal it" and don't get all worked up. Play classical music over a loud speakers and plants some flowers in your back yard, start a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, take your wife on a cruise, have some sex, invite people over from SBN for a nice BBQ and you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
KIMO-R1 said:
invite people over from SBN for a nice BBQ and you'll be fine. :)
:dblthumb That way you can show us that road you call your favorite.

Just don't make any rash decisions until things play out. You have just a small run of bad luck. Expensive bad luck, but just bad luck. I like that classical music idea :lao , maybe you should put some of that on your mp3 and listen while you ride. Good luck, and have patience.

·
Registered
819 Posts
take it like a man u know what you were doing was illegal so dont get a lawyer save the money that a lawyer would cost for the increase in insurance... :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts