Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask if anyone noticed how the growing rate of helmetless sportbike riders around the lakeland area. I just sit in front of the LYCC and half the sportbikes I see are guys without helmets and even worse guys with girls on the back and neither have helmets....just have to vent....if you are "that guy"....have to tell you....your not to bright.
Barry

·
Registered
894 Posts
You have a right to vent if you pay insurance. When the dumbasses crack their skull your motorvehicle and health insurance premiums go up. I take it personal when somebody rides without a helmet. No gloves or jacket, that's one thing but protect your skull man!

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
Yup, happens around summer time. You think its bad in L-town, you should drive around the Tampa area. Just sad. Just had a good friend of mine go down. Actually she is still in Tampa Gen, gona go see her 2nite. She's fine and out of ICU. Her and her boyfriend (cop for Wachula) were ridin, not fast-no helmets, he lost track of what gear he was in-hit throttle and looped it. She was airlifted due to head injury-bleading/swelling in her head. They both knew better but things just find a way of happening if you get too careless.

Protect yourself! Wear the gear-it works, trust me I know.

·
Registered
470 Posts
B.E.T. said:
ridin, not fast-no helmets, he lost track of what gear he was in-hit throttle and looped it.
Hope they make it out o.k.. I do have to ask, is that the "official"story??

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I had a clinical at the Medical Examiners office to view an autopsy. Turned out to be a guy who was intoxicated and not wearing a helmet that went head on into a pick up truck on his motorcycle over the weekend. We also had a 21 year old over the weekend with out a helmet go through the back of a womans car who pulled out infront of him. On the way home I was on ISB in Daytona when this stupid squid on a bike comes flying up the SIDEWALK dips into a gas station to take a short cut and then takes off on a side street, the kid had no helmet on annnnd didn't even look to see if any cars were coming!! Its a sad thing, I see so many people in Daytona who ride w/o helmets and ride like crap!!! I'd feel like a total ass riding around w/o a helmet, I mean you must really not give two shits about your own life to not want to protect yourself. Its like suicide and russian roulette combined, its only a matter of time...

Venting!,
Courtney

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
I will admit... I used to ride without my lid more frequently before I started hanging out with alot of you and other sportbikers. Now I wear my lid all the time, even when no one I know is around. It's just not cool to risk your life like that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't get it, if we are what they want to be like.
Why don't they wear gear.
Conceved only by the notion that most large groups riding together, wear lids.
Chkn?

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Were you working there Tues day night around 7ish? I pulled in there on my Silver SV

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
What irritates me more then anything is the guy that rides without a helmet that have one strapped on the helmet lock!!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Eh.. its what you get. Squiders buy thier cycles to look good and be seen. I personally am not going care one way or another if they crack thier head open. Thier insignficance in life has already been deteremined by stupidity.

That being said I do care for the fact that theses idiots are also prob going be responsible for 75% of cycle related accidents thus possibly bringing in other people.

Bottom line: if you can't put a freaking lid on for yourself at least do it for the people that do love you. If you can't do it for the people that do love you I guess no one loves you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Below The Bottom Line

EricKC said:
Eh.. its what you get. Squiders buy thier cycles to look good

Bottom line: if you can't put a freaking lid on for yourself at least do it for the people that do love you. If you can't do it for the people that do love you I guess no one loves you.
Wear your "Gear" so that when the bike is fixed you'll be able to ride again.
Chkn

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like The Hand of an Angel on my Shoulder.

In my some 39 yrs. of riding I have laid down bikes many times. Most of it during my ammiture racing days. In streat riding, I have seen every bike I have ever owned at one time or another laying on it's side. To date, the cow bike that I have only owned a few years, I've lost count how many times I've laid it down.

My Mom bought me my first lid. Either wear it or no bike she said. From bad experiences I also learned the importance of other things ie.. gloves, heavy pants and a light jacket.

Most spills happen very fast. Oh yeah most of us can say how when we went down "everything seemed like slow motion" but it happened to fast for us to react. But during that time wasn't there that 1/100 of a second when your head hit the ground, you became aware of your lid. I wish I still had the lid Mom bought today, mainly cause She's gone now. Oh well, I still have the memory of the night I was being stupid. Was a bad high side from locking up the rear brake. My first real moment of fear and looking Death in the Face. Like one, two, three I became aware of Moms Love. One when I went to the ground head and shoulders first. Two as the bike hit me plowing me under the gaurd rail. Three when it was all done, I went to get up and bumped my head on the bottom of the Rail.

Then as now, looking back at my most resent downing. What sticks out most was that 1/100 of a second. When my lid made contact with a surface. Like the hand of an angel on my shoulder, saying, I'm here....

I wish there was a way to get peeps to protect themselves, God knows I try.

Chkn

·
Plunder, THEN burn!
314 Posts
It's a matter of style and how cool you think you look. I have ridden many, many miles with either a 'beanie' or no helmet on a cruiser, in just a tank top. Thats just the way it is. You're a bad-ass -- no one would dare hit you :D .

Thankfully, we never lost anyone to a head injury, and we're talking maybe 100,000 miles over the last 15 years. Maybe a bug in the eye or a rock scar or two, but 'knock on wood' ... no head injury. Depends on how you ride, the risks you do/don't take, alcohol (or the lack of it) is a big factor there. But it was simply peer pressure. I would bet that many peeps here , sitting on a hawg, would be tempted to just throw on a pair of shades and pretend they are Jesse James while cruisin up to the Dairy Queen. The danger is just not as apparent at low speeds, and maybe more controllable.

Sportbikes, and Sportbikers, have just the opposite influence, and it is for the good. I have graduated to a $500 lid, full leathers, and honestly, it is through the ... encouragement ... of all of you -- on rides, thru posts, and just by example.

There will always be doods that show up for a ride in loafers and T-shirt. Take them aside, explain the facts of life, and your influence will be felt for the better. But its one rider at a time. There are some that wont listen .. sorry for them.

All I can say is THANKS for the words, example, and discussion. It has saved my skin more than once! Group Hug!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts