Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... their cars and bikes had aircraft style "black boxes" installed? Something that records the last 30 minuites of driving say? I don't want to get into a debate of civil privacy or nothin', but after reading the crashed Hayabusa thread it got me thinking.

So the question is "if your bike had a black box that a roadside officer could access in a pulled-over situation, would you ride more carefully?"

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hmm...I think for the first week I had it for, yes. But after that, I wouldnt think about it too much. Wouldnt even realize it was there. I mean, look at the cell fone while driving laws. No one around here pays attention UNTIL there is a cop around. For thta matter, look at speeding laws. We dont slow down just because the speed limit sign is there...That is, until the cop is on the side of the road. I dont think it would make a damn of a difference honestly in the long run.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Of course. Hell, I'd probably register "howtohackyourblackbox.com" or relevant domain simply for that purpose.

·
Registered
489 Posts
No. And the worst drivers/riders definately wouldn't. The only time this works is in the case of those black boxes that parents can buy and it tells on you if you pull too much g force for a certain amount of time, exceed a certain speed for a certain time, yada yada.

I bet it would just end up getting more cops shot.
(Cop: Let me just plug my little...
Guy: Not if I can help it! Bang bang bang!)

·
who......me????
293 Posts
a lot of cars already have said black boxes!! They record % braking acceleration...and 2 other things i forget right now

·
Registered
40 Posts
My question is about the speed limits, why have cars and bikes that can do 100+ mph when the fastest speed limit is around 80? (Except for that road in the north west where it is use your own discretion) Not to blame it on the manufacturers but dont make cars and bikes that will do shit that is illegal if you dont want illegal shit done. Dont get me wrong I would never want that to happen but it would never happen because then the state would loose so much money in tickets and other crap that it would have to figure something else out to make up for that loss. So I guess its like a catch 22, oh well F' it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Noltez said:
... their cars and bikes had aircraft style "black boxes" installed? Something that records the last 30 minuites of driving say? I don't want to get into a debate of civil privacy or nothin', but after reading the crashed Hayabusa thread it got me thinking.

So the question is "if your bike had a black box that a roadside officer could access in a pulled-over situation, would you ride more carefully?"

They do!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
trayfoe said:
My question is about the speed limits, why have cars and bikes that can do 100+ mph when the fastest speed limit is around 80? (Except for that road in the north west where it is use your own discretion) Not to blame it on the manufacturers but dont make cars and bikes that will do shit that is illegal if you dont want illegal shit done. Dont get me wrong I would never want that to happen but it would never happen because then the state would loose so much money in tickets and other crap that it would have to figure something else out to make up for that loss. So I guess its like a catch 22, oh well F' it.
My 250 tops out at 100 (significantly less then most new bikes) and it is almost unbareable to ride on the highway. I suppose bikes could be limited through ignition or something to only go 65.... but then how would the police get all their revenue?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
nope. I try to drive the speed limit, but it rearly happens. I don't need Big Brother looking over my shoulder, already kinna have one..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Cars already have them, Some insurance companies use them against you to see if you were speeding in an accident so they don't have to pay for your accident that was caused by speeding.

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
Cars already have them, Some insurance companies use them against you to see if you were speeding in an accident so they don't have to pay for your accident that was caused by speeding.

Thats been overturned in almost every case.......they can't use it against you at this point....and it's usually only avalible in cars with GPS uplink (onstar and the likes)

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
CasterTroy said:
Thats been overturned in almost every case.......they can't use it against you at this point....and it's usually only avalible in cars with GPS uplink (onstar and the likes)
I'll mirror this comment, aditionally with... The courts have consistenty ruled that since the device(s) were installed by the manufacturer without clearly informing the customer that they existed, the data cannot be used. It's a facet of illegal tapping. Much like a recording of a conversation without a proper warrant cannot be used.

·
Registered
247 Posts
trayfoe said:
What a silly set of statements. So what...the manufacturer of my vehicle should be held responsible for all of my speeding tickets and insurance increases? While we are at it I can go around killing people with my hammer and Craftsman is responsible for that, too.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. Discretion and responsibility are wonderful things. And they are up to the object's user.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
CasterTroy said:
Well then that works out well, yeah the last time I had heard anything about them was about how the insurance companies were using it against drivers. But it's good to know they can't use it.

But it does seem they got away with it in a couple cases if it was overturned in almost every case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts