Sport Bikes banner

You guys ever thought about just quitting?

2K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  Twinsen 
#1 ·
I am seriously considering either staying here in Europe where motorcycles are respected on the road or quitting street riding when I get back to the US. I'm just going to have a full race bike that I tow around and race in the 250/400 class or just open track days. I've just been slowly realizing over the last couple of years how dangerous riding on public roads really is. Whenever I go out I hate having to put my mind somewhere else besides the bike, I hate having to be constantly looking into driveways and intersections and oncoming traffic just waiting for someone to take me out. I refuse to have my mom or dad, or future wife and kids get a call one day saying some a$$hole talking on their cell phone reading Newsweek took me out in their Ford Excursion because they weren't paying attention. If I am going to die riding a motorcycle it is going to be doing what I have grown to love, RACING, on a closed course.

I'm sorry to go off on a rant, but the more I get serious into track days, the more I hate street riding. I like to just have to think about my bike and the road ahead of me, I don't want to worry if some jackass spilled oil on the road or a gravel truck dropped debri on the road. I want it to be me, my bike, the road, and other bikes. Anyone feeling the same why I do, because I really don't think I'll be street riding much longer.

Jason

See less See more
#27 ·
I can't ever see myself giving up something that I love. I've done it before, and still to this day, I could kick myself in the butt for it. I've been in accidents on my bike, and I thought at one time that I would give it up. But the sound, the feel, and yes even the smell of a bike starting up, I knew that I couldnt just walk away from it. But I did learn something from all of it. I learned not to ride like a squid. To have respeck for the speed and the shear complexity of the machine. I ride to ride, not to show off. Not riding, would be like someone taking away my soul. And that, I will never give up!

#28 ·
Usually I ride every single day, but when I get those thoughts I let it sit and don't even look at the bike for a couple of days to a week.

Typically it doesn't take me long to get worked up and ready to ride again.

#29 ·
After seeing a friends face wired closed with a broken jaw because he t-boned a squid on open track day doesn't make me want to go out on a track ever. The streets are a place for quick reflexes, high beams and balls of steel! If you ride in the states avoid So. Calif. we still have street racers that like to brush motorcycles out of their lanes at speeds the autobahn is famous for! Go someplace like Olkahoma where everyone drives the posted speed limit and you'll feel right at home.

#30 ·
I guess it all depends on where you ride on the street. I just moved to West Virginia from Northern Virginia (the fastest growing area in the country). WV has nearly the best roads in the country AND the fact that the state actually promotes motorcycle riding, kicks ass!

I hate riding in the city (washington DC area) and maybe do it once a year.

#32 ·
I plan on riding on the streets wearing as much or as little gear as I felt like at the time until I have people that depend on me. If I had a young family, there would be no way that I would ride on the streets. Far too many risks I think but until then I plan on riding because it's the best way to get around. It's so much better than taking a cage.

I'm doing my first track day on Sunday and I have a feeling that I'm going to get the track bug really bad. I love the speed but I hate the uncertainty of riding on public roads. On the track I'll at least know what to expect and can go all out. I can hardly wait.

#33 ·
I've watched more than a couple flat line.

You cannot hide behind responsibility like it is some type of shield for being what you truly are. I am a single responsible father, and I ride a motorcycle on the street. I also practice medicine and have for many years now. Too dangerous? I can show you pictures and tell you story upon story of how stupid and needlessly people check-out of this dance. Sorry to break everyone's bubble, but the leading cause ain't bikes! On the highways and by-ways, hands down it's poor conditions, two or caged four! Rain (rarely do I get caught in it) logging trucks.......... 2am, bars close, you're on the road......congratulations your risk factor of a fatal car crash (sober or not) just went up stratispherically! Sure I've seen bikers crunched, crunched good too, scary? Sure. Just recently had a 4 car nasty, two young kids decapitated, 18 wheeler involved, kicker was one of the eye witnesses was a sport biker that rode through the accident happening, yup, zipped through it, stopped and stayed until the rescue squads arrived, ended up telling the trooper what happened!

You have no idea how many nurses, physicians, physical therapists see me ride in to the hospital and shake their heads, "You drive so fast, all the time, you are going to get it some day". "Damn crotch rockets".

If any RESPONSIBLE, SAFE, DUTIFUL, WIMP thinks I am going to buy a tank to drive, so that Polly Behive doesn't adorn her Hummer bumper with me, pulllllease!

Can we please define this idiot line, "too dangerous" Chisakes folks eating peanuts down at Sammies Suds is dangerous, yup, peanut is aspirated into your trachea, obstructed airway, brain damage ensues in 4 minutes, death in 6-9 minutes. Dead of the ridiculously dangerous combination of peanut and beer consumption??!!

Love the rush of a ride up on two? Learn to do it right, get on a bike that you can handle and practice evasive/corrective actions.

Me....... I'll die living, I see hundreds everyday that are walking/driving around caged........ already dead.

#35 ·
No, I've never thought of quitting/converting. I've had plenty of close calls on the street, and witnessed a 3 bike accident at 100mph, and still have no fear of riding, because it's just in me I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.