Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering either staying here in Europe where motorcycles are respected on the road or quitting street riding when I get back to the US. I'm just going to have a full race bike that I tow around and race in the 250/400 class or just open track days. I've just been slowly realizing over the last couple of years how dangerous riding on public roads really is. Whenever I go out I hate having to put my mind somewhere else besides the bike, I hate having to be constantly looking into driveways and intersections and oncoming traffic just waiting for someone to take me out. I refuse to have my mom or dad, or future wife and kids get a call one day saying some a$$hole talking on their cell phone reading Newsweek took me out in their Ford Excursion because they weren't paying attention. If I am going to die riding a motorcycle it is going to be doing what I have grown to love, RACING, on a closed course.

I'm sorry to go off on a rant, but the more I get serious into track days, the more I hate street riding. I like to just have to think about my bike and the road ahead of me, I don't want to worry if some jackass spilled oil on the road or a gravel truck dropped debri on the road. I want it to be me, my bike, the road, and other bikes. Anyone feeling the same why I do, because I really don't think I'll be street riding much longer.

Jason
 

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
Joined
·
20,262 Posts
If you don't think like that, then I believe you need to re-asses your riding. That should be a normal thought process for everyone who rides. It's kinda like being a cop, there's alway the chance that some drugged out loser will try and kill you rather then go to jail. Is it really worth it??

Honestly I don't really see myself riding on the street anymore. There is one track here but not the best condition so I may not ride at all again.

I've read alot where people have just parked the bike for a month or two to see if there mind changes 9 times out of 10 it does.
 

·
Smiley Gladhands
Joined
·
3,050 Posts
Rascus said:
Honestly I don't really see myself riding on the street anymore. There is one track here but not the best condition so I may not ride at all again.
That should give you more time to attend Village People conventions, where wearing chaps with no pants is truly acceped!
 

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
Joined
·
20,262 Posts
freeky929 said:
That should give you more time to attend Village People conventions, where wearing chaps with no pants is truly acceped!
There's always one :rolleyes:
 

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
Joined
·
20,262 Posts
freeky929 said:
Well, I clicked on that thread, and it scared me...or scarred me...I'm not sure which.
:grinbounc Yea well that's the risk you take looking in that forum. I'm not the only one in there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I am seriously considering either staying here in Europe where motorcycles are respected on the road or quitting street riding when I get back to the US. I'm just going to have a full race bike that I tow around and race in the 250/400 class or just open track days. I've just been slowly realizing over the last couple of years how dangerous riding on public roads really is. Whenever I go out I hate having to put my mind somewhere else besides the bike, I hate having to be constantly looking into driveways and intersections and oncoming traffic just waiting for someone to take me out. I refuse to have my mom or dad, or future wife and kids get a call one day saying some a$$hole talking on their cell phone reading Newsweek took me out in their Ford Excursion because they weren't paying attention. If I am going to die riding a motorcycle it is going to be doing what I have grown to love, RACING, on a closed course.

I'm sorry to go off on a rant, but the more I get serious into track days, the more I hate street riding. I like to just have to think about my bike and the road ahead of me, I don't want to worry if some jackass spilled oil on the road or a gravel truck dropped debri on the road. I want it to be me, my bike, the road, and other bikes. Anyone feeling the same why I do, because I really don't think I'll be street riding much longer.

Jason
Well, it is like this. I want thrills every time I breathe. So, when I want to leave point A, to get to point B, I want thrills. When I ride my bike on the street, I get thrills. Speaking only for myself, I am not going to ride a boring machine on the street, and have to wait for a trackday to get my jollies off. No sir ree.

Yes, there are crazy drivers out there on the street. What you gonna do? Give the street to the crazy drivers? Well, you go right ahead. Not me.. I ain't giving shit to the crazy drivers out there. I take my place on the road, and will fight to hold my place. If a car tries to take my place, I stay there until the last possible second. Most of the time that is enough to back down the crazy drivers.

Anyway, at my age, no way, I could live off a trackday thrills 3 or 4 times a month. I can hit the technical twistees 7 or 8 times a month and ride backroads dam near everyday and all it cost is some gas money and some time. And I get off big time too.

And one more thing, if you are gung ho on track days, goodee for you.. However, everybody is different!! What is good for you, doesn't have to fit the next person. :)


So, to each there own.. :grinbounc

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I know I'm SUPPOSED to think like that, I always have, but now that I've riding for the better part of a decade, it just takes the fun out of riding for me. However I love the racetrack, and I love racing.

Rascus said:
If you don't think like that, then I believe you need to re-asses your riding. That should be a normal thought process for everyone who rides. It's kinda like being a cop, there's alway the chance that some drugged out loser will try and kill you rather then go to jail. Is it really worth it??

Honestly I don't really see myself riding on the street anymore. There is one track here but not the best condition so I may not ride at all again.

I've read alot where people have just parked the bike for a month or two to see if there mind changes 9 times out of 10 it does.
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand what you are saying, but what if you run into another driver that has the same mindset as you, he's going to win, and if he hits you, you are going to lose bad. I'm not telling you to stop riding on the street, I'm just saying from my years of riding experience and wrecks due to road conditions or stupid cagers, I don't see the benefits outweighing the risk. At least on a track the conditions are controlled. But enjoy your ride on the street, I loved riding on the street for a long time, but as I get older and get a career and a family started I don't see it being worth the risk.

Jason

cehowardrx7 said:
Yes, there are crazy drivers out there on the street. What you gonna do? Give the street to the crazy drivers? Well, you go right ahead. Not me.. I ain't giving shit to the crazy drivers out there. I take my place on the road, and will fight to hold my place. If a car tries to take my place, I stay there until the last possible second. Most of the time that is enough to back down the crazy drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Track days only? NEVER! For the $150 I pay for 2 1/2 hrs of riding on a track.....I can put on 5k miles on the street(gas money).....20 yrs and will never give up riding street! Just back it down a notch or 2 and/or pick up someting more suited for street use...standard/cruiser/tourer etc.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Maybe what you need is a different type of riding. Think about a cruiser or a standard. You don't have to go Harley but something that is a little more relaxed that you can still have fun on and don't have to be doing double the speed limit to have fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I understand what you are saying, but what if you run into another driver that has the same mindset as you, he's going to win, and if he hits you, you are going to lose bad. I'm not telling you to stop riding on the street, I'm just saying from my years of riding experience and wrecks due to road conditions or stupid cagers, I don't see the benefits outweighing the risk. At least on a track the conditions are controlled. But enjoy your ride on the street, I loved riding on the street for a long time, but as I get older and get a career and a family started I don't see it being worth the risk.

Jason
Oh, and doing trackdays are super safe?? Huh?? I understand what you are trying to say, however, you have to understand that the real world will always have risk. period. Life is a risk. And this is coming from the most timid, scareass poster in this forum. :)

Look, I understand about your family and all, and want to cut risk down. But, telling us that you are dissing street for track, is not about the danger, it is about you like the track better than the street. Nothing wrong with that. But, don diss the street, and hype the track.

Each type of riding have their pros and cons. Street riders are not dissing track. Like I said in my earlier post, to each their own. No put down of differences..

Example, I know a lot of riders who do track, and they have a air, like they are the king shit, not all trackriders, but some. Not saying you are like that.

In every sport, you have divisions, and divisions will have differences.

The real world is out there.. I think both types have the pros and cons. Each are just important to the ones that do each..

Safe riding to ya,

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)
 

·
So Sexy it hurts
Joined
·
687 Posts
Studies have shown that JUST about everything will kill you


I waiting on the long erm study on microwaves and cellphones to show memory loss to the point of forgetting to control your bladder


At least I'm HOPING thats why I can't remeber JACK anymore :mad:



ANYWAY, back on topic...I like black bikes



[Edit] Damn..I forgot what thread I was in :banme


OH YEAH.... you can't STOP riding. Not unless riding wasn't in your blood and running thru every vain of your body anyway.

It's impossible



TRUE that most racers don't even ride street......but think about it...where do they get their fix?

Kinda hard topping that don't ya think? I mean doing nearly 200 for an hour on a SICK track? HELL YEAH street riding would SUCK after that



you just as likely to die from some dibilitating virus/cancer/hoof & mouth crap than getting nailed on a bike in the streets of the US


Dude, I'mma take my chances on 2 wheels YO :bananafu:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I absolutely agree with you about one thing, Europe is a MUCH better place to live if you ride a motorcycle. it is motorcycle heaven. I just got back from Switzerland and Italy and there were bikes EVERYWHERE. The drivers were very respectful of them, plus lanesplitting was allowed all of the time. Up in the Alps I must have seen 100 999s, moto guzzis, triumphs, and Japanese bikes tearing up the curves. All decked out in full race leathers and all demonstrating the upmost confidence on their machines. Plus, the book stores probably had 15 bike magazines (with naked chicks in them at that!). If only I could read the language!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,266 Posts
I very nearly lost my leg to a motorcycle, and I'm forever gimpy for it. Two years of intense pain of multiple surgeries, halos and pins, atrophy and learning to walk again. Countless hours of therapy more painful than most tortures.
As soon as I trusted my leg to hold up a motorcycle again, I bought a crotch rocket. I still need to reassemble my ridiculously dangerous '69 chopper.

There is no choice in riding. You just ride. I can imagine a life without my leg. But I cannot imagine a life without motorcycles. I can't explain it. It doesn't make sense, I know. I'm a biker. Have been since I can remember and always will be until I eventually die on a bike. I ride, therefore I live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Wow.. two great post from cehowardrx7 and TheSollyLama.
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, quitting was the wrong word to use I guess. I'm just converting.

Another thing happened today, went for a quick ride up to Lake Barcis in the Italian Alps (I'm pretty close anyways). Was going up at a VERY REASONABLE pace, nothing crazy, I think the speed limit was 70 km/h, I was doing about 85-90. Came through a couple s-turns and entered another, made it to the middle of the S and here comes a Mitsubishi SUV cutting the corner so bad he was completely in my lane, I swerved as quick as I possibly could, ran off the road into a small water drainage ditch and his side mirror STILL clipped my shoulder. See I wasn't doing anything but minding my own business going along at a reasonable pace and this guy nearly kills me. He never even hit the brakes, and guess what? It was an American (big f'n suprise)! So, as soon as I get my truck here my RS250 is going full race, and I'm off the streets for a while, especially when I get back to America, unless something drastic happens with driving regulations. I'm going to ride in Italy for the rest of the summer and enjoy it, then I'm done.

I never said the track is more safe than riding street, and I never dissed riding street, hell I've been riding on the street for 7 years now, I'm just finally fed up. The reason I like the track over street is because there are less variables, I don't have to worry about a car cutting the corner and taking me out, no deer to run out onto the track, no gravel from someones driveway, etc. I find it alot more fun to just be able to concentrate on the bike and the road.

I apologize if I made any of you think I was dissing you, I'm simply informing you of a decision I've made, and wanted to see what people thought. I do appreciate your input, I really do.

Thanks,
Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I never said the track is more safe than riding street, and I never dissed riding street, hell I've been riding on the street for 7 years now, I'm just finally fed up. The reason I like the track over street is because there are less variables, I don't have to worry about a car cutting the corner and taking me out, no deer to run out onto the track, no gravel from someones driveway, etc. I find it alot more fun to just be able to concentrate on the bike and the road.
Exactly - you might not be safer riding the track than the street, but you're more in control of the danger you face. Don't forget that tracks have run-off for when you do loose it, and medics standing by. The other people on the track with you are at least trying to pay attention (not that they don't make mistakes, but at least it's not because they're yapping on a cell phone)

Although I have to point out, there can be deer on the track as well, but there are corner workers to warn you about them, too.

For my part, I ride mostly track these days, but the bike is always about 45 minutes from being completely legal, too. I find if I don't ride for 2 or 3 weeks I get jonesing for the sound of the motor and the feel of being in intimate control of the machine. So I put on the lights and mirrors, get out of town to the places where the traffic is lighter and ride. I've actually found that part of what I enjoy about being on the street is being keyed up and hyper-aware of everything around me. Concentrating that hard on what might kill me makes me feel that much more alive.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top