Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TOMORROW was the day that I would be picking up my 2k2 SV650s. My first bike. My parents hated the idea and were pissed off about it.

Well, tonight, at the 11th hour, my parents come to talk to me. I haven't seen my dad cry since my parents got divorced when I was 3. But tonight, both my parents cried and begged me not to get a bike. Their arguments had no effect on scaring me out of a bike because it seemed like they just talked to everyone who knew someone who was killed on a bike or hurt. It was the fact that it hurt and scared them so much that made me change my mind.

Two years I've lurked these forums and local ones. Two years I've watched motoGP and dreamed. And now on the eve of my dream purchase... snap. Oh well. Just have to wait longer. Someone buy this guy's bike though. It's really a good deal.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5222

·
Registered
114 Posts
It sucks to hear that dude, but you can't let other people make your decisions for you, even if they are your parents.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sorry to hear that but don't give up on the thought of owning a bike.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Go buy a Ninja 250 and show them it'll be alright.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^I'm going to next semester. Hell, my gear is already ordered! I never thought I'd puss out, but I never thought I'd see my father cry either. God I've wanted a bike for so long, but it's not worth the emotional struggle it would put my parents through.

I had originally thought they were just going through the motions that most parents do when their kids get a bike. "Oh you'll kill yourself! blah blah blah" But it wasn't just that. I could just feel the fear they were sensing and the worry. I just don't want to cause that to them.

I'm down, but not out! I will own a bike soon! Who knows, maybe this was a blessing and I'll find a better deal on a 250 down the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I repect your decision a great deal. Most people have to deal with the 'typical' worry that comes from parents about a decision to get a bike, but when they are really that worried that's something different. I'm sure you'll get your bike soon enough, but kudos to you for doing something that great for your parents. I'm sure it means more to them than you can imagine. (And I'm sure that one day they'll accept the fact that you have a bike, but today just wasn't meant to be it.)

·
old member
13,079 Posts
It takes maturity to look at the situation the way you are. Things will work out. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not this year, but one day. It's called "delayed gratification" and it's a sign that you can keep your wants in sight for when the time is right. You'll remember this day and so will your parents.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Sorry that you're not getting your bike, but I respect your decision...Your maturity really shows and that is always good when you get in our sport...Good luck in the future and keep us updated...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I went through the same thing with my parents...except my father rides so he was just contradicting himself with everything he said, so in the end they came to see that I was more mature then they thought originally...but I must abide by their rules while I am living in their house. So it will be. You'll get your bike eventually man.

In the meantime I'll keep a look out on good deals for bikes for you.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I HATE when they bring up the "well so-and-so died on a motorcycle, and your aunt knows so-and-so who is now paralyzed" EVERYONE KNOWS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS SOMEONE WHO DIED OR WAS HURT BADLY ON A BIKE! It's bs that they bring up that argument, my dad pulled that with me, but I just explained to him that the decision to ride was up to me and if I get hurt doing it, I'm sorry, but it's on me.

I'm not saying to defy your parents, but do not let them make you feel guilty by coming into your room crying about you getting a motorcycle. You sound like you want one pretty bad, you've selected a decent first bike, got the gear, etc. GET THE DAMN BIKE!

·
Registered
205 Posts
You know, parents are there just to give you that guilt trip. If i did everything my parents wanted me to do, i wouldn't have gotten my motorcycle license, nor would I have my driver's license. Tell them that its your moeny, your life, your insurance and that unless they are putting money into this bike, they have no say over what you can or can't do with your money.

Cry? Sympathy play. My grandmother cried when she learned i was riding a motorcycle. And started to race within the last year. There is nothing she can do but warn me as to how dangerous it is. And i tell her that all I learn on the track helps me to be a better and safer rider.

They do not have you on a leash. Sorry to be "cross" but im tired of people blaming their parents for ruining their reasons. My 2nd cousing died on a motorcycle. I nearly died on my motorcycle. And I still ride.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I HATE when they bring up the "well so-and-so died on a motorcycle, and your aunt knows so-and-so who is now paralyzed" EVERYONE KNOWS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS SOMEONE WHO DIED OR WAS HURT BADLY ON A BIKE! It's bs that they bring up that argument, my dad pulled that with me, but I just explained to him that the decision to ride was up to me and if I get hurt doing it, I'm sorry, but it's on me.

I'm not saying to defy your parents, but do not let them make you feel guilty by coming into your room crying about you getting a motorcycle. You sound like you want one pretty bad, you've selected a decent first bike, got the gear, etc. GET THE DAMN BIKE!
their house, their rules..........move out and get the bike.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I feel bad for you bro. It's hard to buy a bike when you get a response like that from people who love you. It only shows that they really care for you.

However, life is dangerous. There is nothing you can do to prevent freak accidents whether it's in a car, on a bicycle, a scooter or whatever. We all know cycles are dangerous but we can't live life scared.

My parents too begged me not to get a bike. I respect their opinion, but it comes down to my decision. It's something I wanted from an early age and I decided to wait until I was thirty before I bought my first street bike. Had I bought a bike at age sixteen there is no dought I would be dead. Maturity plays a big role in riding motorcycles. KNOCK WOOD I hope to be riding for the next thirty plus years.

Take care!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
good things come to those who wait. of course i got my gixxer at 15 and Ca$h got his R6 at 14, but hey, its all good! :twofinger

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just couldn't come to terms with inducing such worry on them. Maybe it's that I'm just now moving out of the house and they have some empty nest syndrome or something. Maybe this will happen again when we revisit the issue next semester.

When you guys defied your parents, was it an emotional deal or was it just anger?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
doct0rxnick said:
I just couldn't come to terms with inducing such worry on them. Maybe it's that I'm just now moving out of the house and they have some empty nest syndrome or something. Maybe this will happen again when we revisit the issue next semester.

When you guys defied your parents, was it an emotional deal or was it just anger?
Their reaction is probably related to all the changes going on at once. You need to decide if this is the issue over which you want to take a stand. It really depends on the type of relationship you have with your parents and the level of independence. Sounds like you are moving out to go to shcool. Are you counting on them for any financial support? Is so, they still may feel that they have some say in your life. Maybe that's close to blackmail, but it's their choice really. If you are truly totally on your own, then it's up to you how far you want to stretch this.

Anger is a strong emotion. I would suggest not doing anything in anger that may forever effect your relationship with your parents. In the overall scheme of things, it just isn't worth it IMO.

Good luck at scool BTW.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I do not respect your decision. If you have decided that you are going to get the bike eventually anyway, then caving to their emotional pressure is only offsetting the conflict to a later date. Therefore, not only have you wasted some time that you could have spent riding, but you have decieved your parents into thinking you have given up the idea altogether.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I also do not respect your parents methods of persuasion. You should talk with them rationally early in life if you want to have close ties in the future.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RayOSV said:
Anger is a strong emotion. I would suggest not doing anything in anger that may forever effect your relationship with your parents. In the overall scheme of things, it just isn't worth it IMO.

Good luck at scool BTW.
Thank you. I did not mean the rider acting in anger. I meant were the parents angry, thinking it is simply a dumb decision, or were they truly worried and scared for their son/daughter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts