Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well, my first season riding is starting to wind down, and its got me thinking about next season. I've been riding a 1981 CB650 (about 65hp), which taught me a ton about both riding and maintenance. I put a bunch of miles on it, and I'm looking for something faster, sharper, and more reliable. Budget is sub $5500, ideally in the 4-4.5k range. I'm looking for a streetfighter/naked bike. I want to be able to take if for a blast with my sportbike riding friends, maybe even do a couple track days eventually, but also be able to throw some bags on it and commute/go for a bit of a distance ride. Not a huge fan of big fairings though, and I like something with a bit crazy styling.

Some options I've been looking at:

2002ish Speed Triple 955i
2003-2006 Z1000
Honda Hornet 900 (not a fan of the big round light though)

Any thoughts? Feel free to suggest other bikes. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How many miles did you put on the CB? Going from 65 hp to 120 on the speed or z1000 is a pretty huge jump. Definitely possible if you're careful. Out of those three I'd pick the speed triple but I wouldn't discount the street triple, it'll still be a big jump in power

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm certainly open to other suggestions, but I'm looking for something around the 100hp range, and I want a bike I grow with a bit. I put around 4k miles on the CB. I've also got some dirt bike experience from when I was younger. Very interested in hearing some other suggestions! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Well you could always change the headlight on the hornet. And if you can find a rashed 600 for cheap you could take the fairings off and fighter it yourself. Dirt bike experience helps with knowing the controls but that's about it. And 4K miles isn't a whole lot, I wouldn't consider that a full season. A lot of guys do that many miles in two months

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I'm certainly open to other suggestions, but I'm looking for something around the 100hp range, and I want a bike I grow with a bit. I put around 4k miles on the CB. I've also got some dirt bike experience from when I was younger. Very interested in hearing some other suggestions! Thanks!
The Street Triple is right up your alley. It has 107 crank HP. Wheel hp is about 97hp. But is really a do it all bike. Commute, canyons, track, and still comfortable.

Not to mention the triple bellow. That sound is addictive.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'd take the Triumph over the others. You'll have a hard time putting bags on it with the undertail cans. I managed to get a tailbag on my Street Triple, but that's it.

An SV1000 or first gen FZ1 would be decent compromise bikes, they can do everything you want except maybe the track very well.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
For me a toss up between the S3 and the most recent generation FZ if you could get one at that price level. I would still likely go the S3 route.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
An Fz1 would be way too much power for someone with only 4K miles under their belt. An fz6 would be a better choice

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
990 superduke .. No fairing , 100ish bhp , razor sharp handling ,wants for nothing top notch equipment out the crate , even better if you find one that has the dealer fitted akra system .... like mine .. mmm audio delights .

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
How many miles did you put on the CB? Going from 65 hp to 120 on the speed or z1000 is a pretty huge jump. Definitely possible if you're careful. Out of those three I'd pick the speed triple but I wouldn't discount the street triple, it'll still be a big jump in power
Lol @ triumph fanboy

To the OP, for around $5k you will have a lot of choices. I would read up as much as I could on what models are available in your price range that do what you want. A track bike that is good for touring is asking a lot.

The bikes you mentioned are good, also check out the fz1. all of them you may want to upgrade the suspension later on if you do a lot of track days but that is no big deal. i would worry more about comfort and how well it performs on the street and the track performance as a secondary thing. you can always buy a track bike later if you get into it big.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Wow. You listed 3 great bikes, and you'd be happy with any one of them :dblthumb

Personally, I'd pick either the Z1000 or Honda. They both provide great reliability and easy to work on. And parts aren't as expensive as the Triumph. And I like the Honda undertail exhaust but hate that it doesn't have race spool adaptors :(

And you said you hate fairings, but a VFR would fulfill everything thing you stated and one that's in GREAT shape would be in your price range.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Those bikes would be fine. My vote would be a Street Triple R. I loved mine until I couldn't put up with the wind anymore. It definitely has more than enough power to get you in trouble.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Those bikes would be fine. My vote would be a Street Triple R. I loved mine until I couldn't put up with the wind anymore. It definitely has more than enough power to get you in trouble.
i stripped my 650R and did many iron butts...getting used to the naked wind was no big deal. you just ride it in a more aggressive position like everyone always says, and having had supersports, I was already used to it.

I rode a speed triple (LOVED IT) and I would think that the street triple would also be similar...wouldn't take much to get used to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts