Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) announced today that it has written to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative opposing a plan that could double the cost of some European motorcycles imported into the United States.

The plan being considered by U.S. trade officials would impose a 100 percent import duty on more than 100 European goods -- including two engine displacement categories of motorcycles, 51cc to 250cc, and 251cc to 500cc.

The federal measure is designed as retaliation to the 27-member European Union's continuing import ban on American beef treated with growth hormones. EU officials haven't lifted that 20-year-old ban, despite a World Trade Organization (WTO) order to end it.

If U.S. officials imposethe retaliatory tariff, it would double the price of a host of under-500cc on- and off-highway machines from brands such as Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Bultaco, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, TM and Vespa.

"There is no logical link between European motorcycles and the dispute over beef," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations, in his comments submitted to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. "Imposing these stiff tariffs on motorcycles would do nothing to resolve the trade dispute, but would punish American buyers of European motorcycles."

The AMA's comments make a strong argument that motorcycles have no business being used as a lever in a dispute over beef.

"Trade disputes residing concretely within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be resolved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products," Moreland said. "A 100 percent ad valorem, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles will cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the vehicles. Additionally, citizens will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreation motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and well-being of millions of American families."

The United States wants to impose $116.8 million in import duties to equal the amount of money it claims the U.S. beef industry loses each year because of the ban. The WTO has agreed on that amount.

Interested parties have until Dec. 8 to comment on which European goods should be subject to the 100 percent tariff in the dispute. It isunknown when U.S. officials will make a final decision.

About the American Motorcyclist Association

Since 1924, the AMA has promoted and protected the motorcycling lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life and they navigate many different roads on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycle organization with nearly 300,000 members, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition events than any other organization in the world. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. For more information, visit American Motorcyclist: The Official Site of the American Motorcyclist Association.

MOTORCYCLING - NASCAR News, F1 News, and Racing News on SPEED - SPEEDtv.com

Also the AMA is pushing to get a law passed saying if a car hits, and kills a motorcyclist the person who hit the motorcyclist will be charged with murder.

:upyours AMA!

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
hahahaha

wut?

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
Well, what's being proposed has the potential to drive European bike manufacturers out of the country, in turn driving dealers out of business. That leads to possible hardships getting parts for bikes already sold in this country. Seems KTM would be the hardest hit, it may not affect Ducati and others who don't play in those markets.

For all of that, there is no guarantee that this action will in any way help reopen the beef markets in Europe. Just pissing in the wind.

And for your other comment, does a $70 ticket for failure to yield sound equitable for killing someone and claiming "I didn't see him/her"? Because that's what happens now more often than not. Murder may be over the top, manslaughter maybe more in line. If a motorist runs down a pedestrian, you can bet they don't get a $70 ticket, even if the pedestrian was jaywalking.

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
Ok I can see your point.

I just skimmed the article at first thinking it was a joke.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hold up somethings not right. It says the AMA proposed this idea and it was designed as a retalitation on the Euroupean duty on imported American beef. Then the v.p. of the AMA says it is not a retalitation against the European beef duty, non-agricultural boundaries should not be levied against agricultural boundaries, and says it would be harmful to business owners to put this in place?

Am I missin something?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Hold up somethings not right. It says the AMA proposed this idea and it was designed as a retalitation on the Euroupean duty on imported American beef. Then the v.p. of the AMA says it is not a retalitation against the European beef duty, non-agricultural boundaries should not be levied against agricultural boundaries, and says it would be harmful to business owners to put this in place?

Am I missin something?
Yes, you missed something. The motorcycle tariff was proposed by U.S. trade representatives (not the AMA) in retaliation for the beef tariff. Typical government -- person A does something wrong, so the solution is to punish person B. WTF? The AMA is opposing this dumb plan.

The AMA guy is exactly right on this. It's just stupid. The main effect of the beef tariff is to make beef more expensive to Europeans, which is not our problem. Free trade is beneficial unilaterally; we don't need to be running around punishing other countries for their own self-damaging stupidity. And especially not screwing with entirely unrelated industries; what the hell do they think that's going to accomplish?

Also the AMA is pushing to get a law passed saying if a car hits, and kills a motorcyclist the person who hit the motorcyclist will be charged with murder.

:upyours AMA!
a) The article you cite is a prefectly proper response by the AMA to a proposal to make small motorcycles much more expensive for no good reason. What's your problem with the AMA position?

b) Your second charge isn't true either. The AMA has and does spend effort to make penalties stiffer for hit-and-run, vehicular assault, and negligent death, but is not and has not worked to get murder charged to people who have or cause accidents.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Lemme go get a hit of crack and maybe the original post will make sense.:eatpop

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
This is particularly foolish since the EU is RIGHT on the matter.

I did a fair amount of research on this one for a Biology course. American cattle ranchers are using growth hormones aka STEROIDS while growing most of our meats. Since cooking doesn't deactivate the steroids cooked at the FDA recommended 165*F we are ALL running around with low levels of steroids in our systems. Ever wonder why as a nation we are a herd of fat-asses, there you have it.

If you don't work out and take steroids you don't get muscle you get fat. That is the reason that the Aussies and Europeans are so much skinnier then we are (trust me they are) I think.

·
Registered
355 Posts

I did a fair amount of research on this one for a Biology course. American cattle ranchers are using growth hormones aka STEROIDS while growing most of our meats. Since cooking doesn't deactivate the steroids cooked at the FDA recommended 165*F we are ALL running around with low levels of steroids in our systems. Ever wonder why as a nation we are a herd of fat-asses, there you have it.

If you don't work out and take steroids you don't get muscle you get fat. That is the reason that the Aussies and Europeans are so much skinnier then we are (trust me they are) I think.

Your right about Americans being fat. I also think you have to look at the different countries in Europe to see why they are so skinny. In some of the countries their daily meals consist of the amount of caleries an average american has for breakfast. Other places they walk everywhere while the majority of Americans sit at work for 8+ hours a day eat like a cow & then go home and sit around the house some more. We pass on our habbits to our children and its no wonder that we have a massive problem with children diabetes. How many 150+lbs 8-10 year olds have you seen in the past few years. Short life span & health problems are the only sure thing that these people are going to achieve in life.

·
Apprentice wheelieist
833 Posts
I agree the R1100S rider seems off his rocker unless he read everything in that article backward somehow.

If it weren't for the AMA motorcycles would probably be banned in this country.

BTW as far as I'm concerned more steroids in my meat is better for me anyway. It keeps me from having to buy them, and I get some of the effect at a much lower and safer dosage.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Well I suppose this is as good a time as any for a first post.

1) Growth hormone != steroids. Two completely different things.

2) Running around with steroids in your systems would not make you fat. It would make you horny, mess up the hormone balances of prepubescent children, deepen the voices of women, enlarged clitorises and improve body composition. All with improved self confidence and sense of well being.

3) Running around with growth hormone in your system would have numerous positive effects on the body with likely no negative effects whatsoever.

4) People like you scare the hell out of me.

5) Have a nice day

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
So why is it you hate the AMA?

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts

2) Running around with steroids in your systems would not make you fat. It would make you horny, mess up the hormone balances of prepubescent children, deepen the voices of women, enlarged clitorises and improve body composition. All with improved self confidence and sense of well being.

3) Running around with growth hormone in your system would have numerous positive effects on the body with likely no negative effects whatsoever.

5) Have a nice day
Welcome to SBN :twofinger (< traditional SBN welcome)

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Your right about Americans being fat. I also think you have to look at the different countries in Europe to see why they are so skinny. In some of the countries their daily meals consist of the amount of caleries an average american has for breakfast. Other places they walk everywhere while the majority of Americans sit at work for 8+ hours a day eat like a cow & then go home and sit around the house some more. We pass on our habbits to our children and its no wonder that we have a massive problem with children diabetes. How many 150+lbs 8-10 year olds have you seen in the past few years. Short life span & health problems are the only sure thing that these people are going to achieve in life.
Yup huge lifestyle differnce, they have coffee for breakfast, a slice of bread and meat for lunch, or small piece of cake, small well portioned dinner. ride their bikes and walk. Its basically lifestyle differnce on just about every level.

·
Banned
19,161 Posts

We actually do have hormonal imbalances, children are hitting "puberty" younger with women having englarged breasts at younger ages as well.

although we have natural levels of HGH in our body in youth that does decline with age, like anything, taking extra messes up how your body operates but IM sure your basing your opinion on the 1990 article that was a marketing ploy proved wrong by the New england Journal of medincine and other organizations. Growth Hormone Schemes and Scams

5) Have a nice day
Ditto, but I really dont give a shit if you have a nice day or not.
Oh but welcome to SBN.:eatpop

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to SBN :twofinger (< traditional SBN welcome)
Ditto, but I really dont give a shit if you have a nice day or not.
Oh but welcome to SBN.:eatpop
Thanks for the welcome guys. I signed up a few months back, been lurking for a little while. :boink

although we have natural levels of HGH in our body in youth that does decline with age, like anything, taking extra messes up how your body operates but IM sure your basing your opinion on the 1990 article that was a marketing ploy proved wrong by the New england Journal of medincine and other organizations. Growth Hormone Schemes and Scams
I am not familiar with the content in the link. You really have to be careful when researching this sort of thing - and you must research for yourself if you want to form an educated opinion. Most studies that the media and politicians take as gospel are the equivalent of:

I had orange juice for breakfast this morning. This afternoon I sprained my ankle. Conclusion: orange juice weakens connective tissue.

And yes, I should have clarified better - I was referring to otherwise healthy adults (men, mostly). Children can get pretty messed up when you screw around with their hormones.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
haha I'm scary

1 - 20 of 62 Posts