Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so yesterday I was cruising along at about 25 miles an hour and my bike starts chugging so I turn on the reserve and stay on that for a while. I look at my odometer and it hasn't even reached 100 miles on the tank of gas, so I turn it back to the on position (the petcock) and no more chugging. I get to a stop sign and shake the bike around and it sounds like it has enough gas. Then when I go to take off the bike won't really go it felt like I was pumping too much gas in and it wouldn't combust, so I close the throttle, the choke was off, and start again and it feels like there is too much gas again. I pull over to the side of the road and it idles just fine then when I take off it's back to normal, after 5 minutes or so. I always turn the petcock off after I'm done riding, anybody have any idea on what to do?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
10% ethanol in the gas.

Ethanol is alcohol.

Alcohol is hydroscopic. Meaning it absorbs water out of the air at a pretty high rate.

Means you have water in your fuel.

Drain tank.

Look for gas stations that sell gas with no ethanol or look for a commercially available gas drying agent to mix with your fuel on a regular basis.

Reactions: rhinoak

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Yes.

I'm sure leaving it in there will cause condensation inside the engine over time, which will eventually cause rust in the engine.

Get it checked out or follow the advice above if you're mechanical. Pretty easy to drain tank, refill with some dry-gas in the tank.

Check for leaks around tank fill cap.

Of course it MAY be something else entirely.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
buddy of mine had the same problem. he assumed it was dirty carbs, so he ran 2 bottles of "Seafoam" through the carbs and that pretty much fixed it. not sure what he meant by through the carbs tho, i guess in the tank? idk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
buddy of mine had the same problem. he assumed it was dirty carbs, so he ran 2 bottles of "Seafoam" through the carbs and that pretty much fixed it. not sure what he meant by through the carbs tho, i guess in the tank? idk
Yeah, I'm runnin one bottle of carb cleaner through the carbs (you dump the carb cleaner in with the gas and it's suppose to clean it as you ride)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts