Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say Hi...

I'm new to the site and I heard about it from a car forum. I finished my MSF course about 2 weeks ago and I have a '01 GSX-R600 (white/blue). Before I get ripped for starting on a suzuki, my husband use to race CCS while I was still in college.... so basically the bike is a "hand me down." Although it's a rather nice hand me down and more important, it's a paid off "hand me down" :)

So far I've just been riding around the neighborhood because I haven't gotten to fixing the kick stand yet (dropped the bike 3 inches so I can flat foot it).

But anyways, HI :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
aloha and welcome ^_^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,321 Posts
Welcome to SBN:D!!! How tall are you??? I swear I'm the only chickie on SBN w/o a lowered bike and I'm probably the shortest one too, lol. I'm only 5'2" :). Added: No one is going to rip you for riding a Suzuki, we will however say that you should have started smaller, which is true.
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
welcome. make sure to get to an MSF class. you might save your marriage, by having somebody else teach you how to ride.......i'm serious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,759 Posts
Don't worry, that is Racer X's default message :)

Hey there, Welcome to the site :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SicFLgirlR6 said:
Welcome to SBN:D!!! How tall are you??? I swear I'm the only chickie on SBN w/o a lowered bike and I'm probably the shortest one too, lol. I'm only 5'2" :). Added: No one is going to rip you for riding a Suzuki, we will however say that you should have started smaller, which is true.
I'm 5'4" (long torso, short legs :()

The bike is dropped VERY low though. I'm hoping that the more comfortable I get with the bike and the whole idea of riding, I'll be able to start jacking it up some. The lowering links I have can drop the bike between stock, 1", and 3".

I would've actually liked to have started on an older ZX6R... we have one ('98) in the garage but its a full race bike and can't be converted to street :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,321 Posts
Yeah you'll get comphy with the balance, might take about a year until your comphy enough to raise it up a good bit. Does he have frame sliders on the GSXR? Oh yeah what kind of helmet, jacket and gloves did you go with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Jay-D! said:
LOL I noticed. It's true though.
Racer X is an MSF robot remember guys?! :nerd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,767 Posts
welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Bad choice in first bike SIZE/power......but you probably KNOW that already. Good luck with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SicFLgirlR6 said:
Yeah you'll get comphy with the balance, might take about a year until your comphy enough to raise it up a good bit. Does he have frame sliders on the GSXR? Oh yeah what kind of helmet, jacket and gloves did you go with?

Yes, that was the first thing I bought for the bike (the lowering links were second) :) The gixxer was actually pretty nice to ride after I lowered it...

I already had a KBC helmet from when I rode passenger. I bought the Alpinestars GP Plus gloves only because I've seem a lot of people at the track go down on them and the gloves held up extremely well. And as far as the jacket, I bought the Powertrip San Jose textile jacket (it's summer here in AZ). So far, I'm trying to save up for a set of leathers and some riding boots. Some people might say it's overkill for street but I work as a nurse and the road rash I've seen just ain't pretty....
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
Bad newbie bike and terrible newbie rider companion.

Remember, always ride at your own pace. I think your housband might be capable of riding circles around you, let him do it, never try to ride with/like him, trying to keep up with more experienced riders is a pretty common reason for newbies to crash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,321 Posts
xoxo1981 said:
Yes, that was the first thing I bought for the bike (the lowering links were second) :) The gixxer was actually pretty nice to ride after I lowered it...

I already had a KBC helmet from when I rode passenger. I bought the Alpinestars GP Plus gloves only because I've seem a lot of people at the track go down on them and the gloves held up extremely well. And as far as the jacket, I bought the Powertrip San Jose textile jacket (it's summer here in AZ). So far, I'm trying to save up for a set of leathers and some riding boots. Some people might say it's overkill for street but I work as a nurse and the road rash I've seen just ain't pretty....
Nothing is over kill chickie, atleast you care about your skin. I think I'm going to pick up those gloves you got, I got a pair of Joe Rocket gloves in February of this year and already theres a hole in my right glove :(...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Süsser Tod said:
Bad newbie bike and terrible newbie rider companion.

Remember, always ride at your own pace. I think your housband might be capable of riding circles around you, let him do it, never try to ride with/like him, trying to keep up with more experienced riders is a pretty common reason for newbies to crash.
Actually he doesnt' ride the street (he went from dirt bikes to road racing) and pretty much the only thing he tought me prior to the MSF class was just where the controls were... I asked him to teach me how to ride but he said NO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SicFLgirlR6 said:
Nothing is over kill chickie, atleast you care about your skin. I think I'm going to pick up those gloves you got, I got a pair of Joe Rocket gloves in February of this year and already theres a hole in my right glove :(...
The gloves are awesome. They didn't take any "breaking in" as I had initially thought... they're very soft. Only bad thing was that the smallest size they have is small (they don't go xtra small).
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top