Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to rant...

So I'm out getting some coffee and a bundino (amazing Italian chocolate mousse) tonight, and I go park in a spot close to the entrance. I always like to park towards the end of a space, on one side of a spot, to discourage others from trying to park half in the space. Anyway, imagine my bike to the left side of the parking sport with an open spot to the left. A nice family van decides that they want to park in that spot to the left. No problem, I walk to the right side of my bike, so they can feel like they wont be running me over to park.

As they park, I can tell he is turning sharper than he really should and I see the back half of the van (complete with man, wife, and kids) coming ever closer to my bike. He barley missed hitting my bike with the side of his van, and his right, rear wheel is on the line in my spot. So his van is incredibly close to my bike. Does he try to move and align with the spot? Nope! He shuts off the engine and they just sit there for a couple seconds, I guess waiting for me to leave?

So then I had to reposition my bike into the center of the parking spot, so that his kids wont bang their door against it when they get out. The van is literally that close. As they leave, I just locked my bike up without a word. If there weren't kids there I would have had very choice words to say. Is it really that hard to try at life?

Stupid cagers... End rant.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Time to rant...

So I'm out getting some coffee and a bundino (amazing Italian chocolate mousse) tonight, and I go park in a spot close to the entrance. I always like to park towards the end of a space, on one side of a spot, to discourage others from trying to park half in the space. Anyway, imagine my bike to the left side of the parking sport with an open spot to the left. A nice family van decides that they want to park in that spot to the left. No problem, I walk to the right side of my bike, so they can feel like they wont be running me over to park.

As they park, I can tell he is turning sharper than he really should and I see the back half of the van (complete with man, wife, and kids) coming ever closer to my bike. He barley missed hitting my bike with the side of his van, and his right, rear wheel is on the line in my spot. So his van is incredibly close to my bike. Does he try to move and align with the spot? Nope! He shuts off the engine and they just sit there for a couple seconds, I guess waiting for me to leave?

So then I had to reposition my bike into the center of the parking spot, so that his kids wont bang their door against it when they get out. The van is literally that close. As they leave, I just locked my bike up without a word. If there weren't kids there I would have had very choice words to say. Is it really that hard to try at life?

Stupid cagers... End rant.
Most people are idiots and have zero respect for others property. As for the cagers comment, you do not and or have never owned a 4 wheeled vehicle?

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I guess I dont really see why you wouldn't park in the center of the space to begin with. People park on, or over the line all the time, even when there is a car in the next space. Parking your bike in the middle leaves the most buffer space on all sides. Parking off to the side like you did just puts it that much closer to ignorant assholes. Sorry to not jump to your defense, but this seems like a problem of your own making.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I always park my bike in the middle of the space at a diagonal. It makes it easier to see so some douchbag doesn't come ripping into the space without seeing my bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I often park to the side so if another bike comes around they can use the spot as well. I dont get close to the line but I do get off to one side or the other.
This as well. I've had other bikes join my in my spot before. So a combination of leaving space for other riders and like I said, to discourage cars from trying to park half in my space. Sometimes it works, then again like last night some drivers are just unable to park within the lines.

·
5,455 Posts
i usually park a mile away in an end spot, bike or car. i don't even want people walking by my stuff. i found a long, fine scratch on my car door the other day. guess someone had to squeeze by and drag their bags on it :(

·
Registered
951 Posts
Wait, you guys use real parking spaces?

:skeptic

(OK, I mostly ride to/form work these days, and we have motorcycle parking here...)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i usually park a mile away in an end spot, bike or car. i don't even want people walking by my stuff. i found a long, fine scratch on my car door the other day. guess someone had to squeeze by and drag their bags on it :(
I sometimes do that, it depends. Last night I was not too trusting of the part of town I was in, and wanted to have my bike close to where I could see it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
oh i see the OP is in fairfax ... there's the source of the problem right there. the majority of the people in the dc area are douchebags and don't realize they actually share the world with other people.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The way people park is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. I'm going to start carrying eggs to throw on hoods on a sunny day.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
At my old apartments I used to park my bike in the front of an "open" parking space and then park my truck in the same space so that the bike was perpendicular on my front bumper. Imagine my surprise when I came back from a beer run and someone parked in that spot behind my bike. I mean seriously? Inches from my bike. I called the manager and told them I wasn't going to be liable for any damage to their car when I pulled my bike out in the morning as there was a very thin ledge that I always had to swing the bike out of. Fucker was still there in the morning so needless to say his brand new car ended up with pretty mean dings and scratches.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

(OK, I mostly ride to/form work these days, and we have motorcycle parking here...)
Yeah it is odd but some people ride their bikes more than just to work and back. It is pretty rare but it happens in some parts of the world. At least I have read about it and seen it in movies before.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

I have motorcycle parking at work too. At stores or whatever I park on the sidewalk right by the door.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I generally try to not park in normal spaces. Lots of stores I'll do the sidewalk thing, but only if it's easily accessible and I wont be in anyones way. A lot of shopping centers around here have lots of landscaping separating the parking lot from the sidewalks in front of stores, making that rather difficult, and kinda forcing you to actually use parking spaces.

Leaving room for other bikes makes reasonable sense, but I dont see any logic in your "discouraging close parking" argument. People dont park farther away because you are on one side or the other. They see the line and call that the boundary (if you're lucky) it doesn't matter if you're parked 3' or 3" on the other side of that line. For most people as long as they are inside the lines they are parked properly, regardless of how close they are to you. IMHO, fuck other riders that may or may not show up. If you care about your bike, that space is yours, use it. There's no reason to put your bike closer to the most likely risk (car next to you) just so that another biker that you dont know, and who might not even exist at all can share your space. Hell half the time I've left room for other bikers they parked like assholes and blocked me in anyways.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just park on the sidewalk, that way I stay out of the way of all cars. Like I'll just park around to the side or back of a building up against the wall. No one usually says shit to me about doing it, even cops. I definitely won't stay for long (a few minutes at most) before leaving. I purposely do not park my bike outside the garage for hours on end (good way to get it vandalized or stolen).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts