Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one, I ride a 1998 Yamaha yzf 600. I am very frustrated because my bike will not shift into first gear. I can take off from the light in second, but that is no fun. Any one have any ideas on how to put some joy back in my life? Any help appreciated.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Hello every one, I ride a 1998 Yamaha yzf 600. I am very frustrated because my bike will not shift into first gear. I can take off from the light in second, but that is no fun. Any one have any ideas on how to put some joy back in my life? Any help appreciated.
That sounds like bent shift forks, not an easy fix. Considering it's a 1998 bike the easiest and cheapest fix would be to get a newer engine in better conditions.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's either a shift fork or the shift shaft. It's not hard if you are mechanically inclined. It just takes a lot of time (Hour and a half for shift shaft, about 4-8 hours for shift forks).

·
Registered
205 Posts
You'll find that bent shift forks, while not super common, they are not rare either. My thought leans toward shift forks as well.

To fix them, you have to split the engine case, while not hard... it is, as previously mentioned, very time consuming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts