Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd put this here instead of in the Yamaha room, because the general Yami room doesn't get too much traffic, and there's no specific sub-forum for it.

Does anyone here have a V-Max?? If so, do you like it??

I'm beginning to really like the way it looks. This guy by where I work has a pretty new one, and I like it more and more everytime I see it.

If you have one, post up some pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do have one. I love it. It's more or less my daily rider. I've upgraded the brakes with R1 brakes, and I'm currently looking into a USD fork conversion. They're extremely comfortable, and very docile for street riding as long as you keep the RPM's under 6k. At 6k the Vboost kicks in and watch out...

If you're considering one, I'd suggest a '93 or later. They upgraded the forks to a larger diameter in '93, and you can mount R1 brake calipers without an adapter.

Sorry, No pics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man that bike rocks, I'm looking at getting one, here are some good v-max links. Hard part is trying to find a good used one under $4-5 thousand. Even the 85's sell for $5000. Yamaha did right by this bike. Virtually unchanged for 20 years, definately one mean muscle bike. There was a V-max rally here at Deals Gap 2 weekends ago saw some nice custom Max's out here.

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html

http://www.v-max.com/

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa...that vmaxoutlaw.com site has some pretty wicked looking bikes.

I really REALLY like the bike. I would like to try and get one sometime in the future.

Mojo, are they expensive insurance wise, or just normal??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Almost got the VMAX, I really thought they were a sharp bike!! But the ZRX was the winner at about $3K less. Maybe a good thing, because now I do trackdays with it. Don't get me wrong, I bet with a few mods to the suspension, the VMax can hit the track and haul ass. Don't have to have a crotch rocket to have a blast at the track. The rider has allot to do with it. Sure would be cool to see one out there!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just dont buy one thinking they 'handle' like a dream or anything comparable to a sportbike. I considered purchasing one but changed my mind after researching the bike and how few modifications have occured in the past 20 years. If you currently ride a sportsbike, MAKE SURE you test drive it before buying it. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe the 85s put out the most power, after 85 the began to limit the power in accordance to some silly law. IIRC, one of the original V-Maxes ran a 9.9 in the 1/4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
Mojo, are they expensive insurance wise, or just normal??
It's about $10 per month more expensive than my Aprilia at about $59 per month here. My insurance company rates solely on CC's.

The bike is no corner carver, but it is a whole lot of fun. It's an easy bike to do a few hundred miles on without too much fatigue. There is also a huge aftermarket. The only problem with the aftermarket is that the designs on almost every aftermarket part is pretty dated. Unchanged since the 80's. I've actually been considering manufacturing some aftermarket stuff with more up to date design.

·
Registered
297 Posts
v-max

Hello friends
i have a 88 that i have done a little work too, with a little fork spring help maybe a seat redone moves pretty good, dragged the pegs this past june at the dragon. am a member of the vmoa also under yahoo groups several chat groups, i am houston chapter leader of the vmoa. can get u any info u need.
[email protected]
Michael Hansen

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
it's OK as long as you don't mind 20 year old suspension and brake technology.

But that motor ROCKS..

My friend has one with a Vance and Hines header and it sounds very good.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
I always thought the bike looked good and had performance, too...But the price tag is just too much (brand new)...

·
Registered
297 Posts
L8 Braker said:
I always thought the bike looked good and had performance, too...But the price tag is just too much (brand new)...
Hello friends
as ther has been no changes since 92 u can find some great used maxes, if u look, most mid to late 90s models less than 5k. as there are tons of used parts and aftermarket guys nothing to do anything u want. from blowers to chain drives 300 series rear wheels.
later
Michael Hansen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts