Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

I was wondering if any of Yamaha Super Sport motorcycles(2009+) come with stabilizers,if not what brand would you recommend?

Is the maintenance high?
Is it easy?
How comfortable are they for long(er) rides?(2 hours+)

I'm sure I had more questions,but these are the main ones that I can remember.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
prolly not the bike for you if you're asking about comfort. Look into a fz-07 for something like that. R6's are about the best race bike out and have been for a long time. But racing and street are different things.

Don't start on a bike with 100+ HP either, that's like giving a 16yr old a car with 1,000hp.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey there!

I was wondering if any of Yamaha Super Sport motorcycles(2009+) come with stabilizers,if not what brand would you recommend?
By stabilizers do you mean training wheels or a steering damper? Either way, your answer is NO.

Is the maintenance high?
Yes.

Is it easy?
If you're mechanically inclined, yes.

They're fine, but not what the bike is built for. Both the R6 and R1 are meant to win races, and as such, they make fine canyon carvers. Long-distance running and commuting is possible, but not ideal.

Is this your first bike?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By stabilizers do you mean training wheels or a steering damper? Either way, your answer is NO.

Yes.

If you're mechanically inclined, yes.

They're fine, but not what the bike is built for. Both the R6 and R1 are meant to win races, and as such, they make fine canyon carvers. Long-distance running and commuting is possible, but not ideal.

Is this your first bike?

It will not be my first bike.
Started on a 250,moving up.

I've been on the R6,but it's very uncomfortable around the groin area.

I didn't like the friction zone on the clutch.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Hey there!

R1 does have an electronic steering damper as standard, R6 doesn't.

Is the maintenance high?
They have longer valve adjustment intervals than other brands, the rest of the maintenance is the same.

Is it easy?
Depending on your skills, it could be easy or you could ruin the engine.

To me both R1 and R6 are torture racks. Kawasaki and Suzuki build more comfy bikes.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Steering stabilizers aren't an important thing for street riding. They are more of a race thing and a luxury on a street bike.

Something like this pictured bellow is much more practical if you are wanting something sporty but comfortable on long rides. I commute on a race replica and it is far from ideal. You can't see around you well hunched over, your back gets tired, and first gear is so tall they are slow bellow 30 unless you are slipping the clutch. If you are willing to live with all of those compromises for the fun of riding a full blown race machine, go for it. I enjoy it. Just don't have any illusions of comfort.
Maintenance is not that bad. Keep the chain adjusted and tire pressure right. Oil and rear tire every 3000, a front every other time (yes rear tires last about as long as oil and average $120-180. Alternative is sport touring which last maybe 7k...) and valve checks + misc fluid changes every blue moon..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steering stabilizers aren't an important thing for street riding. They are more of a race thing and a luxury on a street bike.

Something like this pictured bellow is much more practical if you are wanting something sporty but comfortable on long rides. I commute on a race replica and it is far from ideal. You can't see around you well hunched over, your back gets tired, and first gear is so tall they are slow bellow 30 unless you are slipping the clutch. If you are willing to live with all of those compromises for the fun of riding a full blown race machine, go for it. I enjoy it. Just don't have any illusions of comfort.
Maintenance is not that bad. Keep the chain adjusted and tire pressure right. Oil and rear tire every 3000, a front every other time (yes rear tires last about as long as oil and average $120-180. Alternative is sport touring which last maybe 7k...) and valve checks + misc fluid changes every blue moon..

Thanks for that info!
What kind of motorcycle is that?

·
Registered
337 Posts
It will not be my first bike.
Started on a 250,moving up.

I've been on the R6,but it's very uncomfortable around the groin area.

I didn't like the friction zone on the clutch.
ABORT

My buddy got a ninja 300. His first bike, he's 12 years younger than me, started telling me all about his bike vs my cbr 600. One of the things he mentioned was where the friction zone was on mine vs his. It was something like, his bike was a commuter so his friction zone where x and mine being x because it was a sport bike, more for racing.

It never dawned on him that you can change where the clutch engages. I chalk that up to inexperience.

In the same conversation he tried telling me how you have to "push" the bike down to take a corner. Exactly how you would in The Box, except he was doing this in EVERY corner. When I tried explaining how to lean, he said thats how they taught him in class...and my way was prolly the 'old school' way of doing it and the new way is better. This also, was a mark in the inexperience column.

On a side note, you should see the road rash on his bike! He's averaging one crash per quarter.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yamaha FZ-07
Yep, MSRP 7k brand new. Not really a good beginner bike either though as it's pretty powerful and light at under 400 lbs and 70 hp. A good all around forever bike for people who want a general purpose bike though.

One other thing to consider if you do decide to get that R6, get an insurance quote. Where I love I could buy a fz07 or other middle weight naked and insure it for about the same price a month as just the insurance on an R6, unless I get liability only, which would be a terrible idea for a beginner who is likely to drop or wreck it while learning.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
that's. . .essentially what I was thinking.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I don't think an R6 is possible to make comfortable. The main problem for me was that the distance from the seat to the clipons was too short, or it felt that way anyway. this gives a cramped feeling, and raising the bars or lowering the rearsets won't help that much.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Riverside, CA huh? Well as long as you don't hop on a Kawasaki, then my insurance rates shouldn't be bothered by your shenanigans.

On a serious note, what were you honestly expecting when considering supersport bikes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Riverside, CA huh? Well as long as you don't hop on a Kawasaki, then my insurance rates shouldn't be bothered by your shenanigans.

On a serious note, what were you honestly expecting when considering supersport bikes?
Top kek.

Not sure to be honest.

It's going to be a track/canyon bike. Not a commuter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts