Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bike 2 months and not a scratch on her, was at the movies and some kids thought it would be fun to push my FZ6 and a mates FZ6(02)
over, when I stopped cursing after picking the bikes up. Saw that the yamaha frame sliders I had bought had just sheared right off. I was wondering if anybody else has used them, or are they designed to do that on impact?

There was minimal damage to my bike, but my mates was a bit trashed.

Attachments

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
Over here, movie theatre parking lots are a really great place to get you bike either stolen or molested. It says "I'm all alone for two hours".

Sorry to hear about your bikes, glad yours wasnt damaged too much, what kind of sliders do you have?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I'd like to think that a stationary "fall" over shouldn't shear (new?) frame sliders. Maybe Yamaha had a bad batch of aluminium and owes you some new sliders?

+2c

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, going to see my dealer tomorrow! will see what they say! not going to fork out another $130 on this type if they don't replace them! Will have to wait and see! Good point about leaving the bikes alone for 2hrs..going to be a lot more carefull in future. Still would hate to know what would have happend if I had spilled it while going at a moderate speed? the slider probably would have done very little to protect my bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just asked my deal for a set and they said they can't get them for two months... this is in the USA though... but now might go aftermarket....

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
after seeing and hearing that, I would stay as far away from those as possible. Get you some REAL sliders man! Thanks for sharing that. I wouldn't use them now if they were given to me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to my dealer today! they said they would talk to yamaha, but not to hold out much hope. Don't think I would use them again even if they did replace them. Going to try and get some better ones this week. Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the yamaha sliders on my fz6. I live in Greece and I asked my dealer about them. The yamaha sliders are made from a different material on purpose. that way if you drop your bike all the power will go to the slider(slider will absorb the fall) and that way you won't haveanydamage to the aluminum frame(die cast). Believe me it's better to spend another 130$ for the sliders than damaging you aluminum frame. Becausei if the frame bends a little bit then the money you will spend will almost be like buying a new bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the post mwellbel. I'm still undecided on which ones to get - but they won't be from Yamaha.

·
Registered
205 Posts
greece said:
The yamaha sliders are made from a different material on purpose. that way if you drop your bike all the power will go to the slider(slider will absorb the fall) and that way you won't haveanydamage to the aluminum frame(die cast). Believe me it's better to spend another 130$ for the sliders than damaging you aluminum frame. Becausei if the frame bends a little bit then the money you will spend will almost be like buying a new bike.
Your stealership was spinning you a crock of lies, the sliders are not meant to break of in an impact, they are supposed to wear down, and slow the forward motion of the bike with using friction.

They are as useful as tits on a Bull if they break off on impact, as all that is left is the frame and all the nice plastic bits to grind down.

Now, if Yamaha designed them this way it would make sense as they will make a s*it load of money in selling replacement parts from very light crashes.

Run from that dealer, or the moron that told you that, what they know about sliders can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

Skippy

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think I ever said in my post that the sliders will break off!!!You said that, not me!!! All I said is that they are from a different material. They are not aluminum like the frame.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the info. They are the same as mine btw, just the right hand side of the bike! Yamaha has designed them differently for each side.

I have decided to go for RG Racing http://www.rg-racing.com/sports-bike-protectors/yamaha-frame-sliders/Fazer 600/fazer600-04.html, some of the guys at work have them on there bikes and they seem to have survived a number of low speed slides..without breaking off! ;)

And I am more keen on protecting my baby than looking good only!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts