Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last spring I went to start up my bike and realized the battery was toast. So I bought a new battery and started to ride. Last august I went to ride and realized the bike wouldn't start. Charged the batter up over the next couple days with the battery tender and road for about a month. Came back out and it was dead again. So I jumped the bike and went for a ride figuring i would charge it up with a long ride. Came back and the next again the bike would not start. Is it possible that the bike is not charging itself and that I am running on the battery alone? Or would i be better off assuming it is just a bad battery?

I haven't gotten the bike back out this spring yet since its still snowing here in vail. However I am planning a fairly long road trip in june and really don't want to end up stuck somewhere with a dead battery. Any help would be great. I just bought a manual for the bike and plan to dig into it but would like suggestions on places to start.

Thanks guys

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
1. Borrow or buy a good multimeter
2. Charge the battery
3. Start the bike
4. Measure voltage across battery with the bike at idle and with the engine RPMs at 5,000
5. Tell us what voltages you are reading.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is in Denver right now. I will revive this thread once I get down there to work on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. So With the bike off 12.30, Idle 12.28, 5000rpm is between 12.25-12.28. The book I have sorta walks me through checking the stator next. Didn't have time today to do it. Could a bad voltage regulator give me this resolt or is it more likely the alternator? I am guessing I am going to have to follow it through the system to find out?

Spent most of the day trying to get my tires taken care of (UPS miss placed them and later found them on a truck...once I found the truck the rest was easy) so I didn't have time to work on the electrical problem which I am now certain I have :(

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
the normal voltage for a fully charged battery is 13.6v or higher...anything under 12.3v needs a charge

to check if the battery is being charged turn the bike on and headlight to low beam, start the bike and using the multimeter check the voltage of the battery with the engine running at 5,000 RPM's

the voltage should be between 13v-15.5v

if the voltage you get isnt within that range here are a few possibilities

1. poor connection in the wire harness
2. short within the alternator
3. bad voltage regulator

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Straight out of the 2002 R6 service manual so do what this says to do.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts