Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is selling his old V-Max and is interested in getting a FZ1 or possibly a ZRX 1200.
What are the pros/cons of each bike and how do they compare to each other.
The FZ1 seems like a sweet bike,but the ZRX just screams "Muscle Bike".
Is there another bike he should look at also?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Hell, that's like comparing apples to apples! Both are great bikes. It really depends on which one speaks to him as he looks/sits on it. Both are way better handling than his old max. Other bikes; Z1000, V-strom, TL-S...I am having a brain-fart right now but there are others.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Jump over the the FZ1 forum and you will find many people that have switched from the FZ1 to the V-Max. There are a few that own both. www.yamahafz1oa.com

The ZRX 1200 may be a muscle bike but the FZ1 will probably beat it in a drag race and will be better in the curves. Not sure about top speed. The FZ1 will only do 155 due to the poor aerodynamics.

BTW, I have over 20,000 miles on my FZ and love it

·
Banned
730 Posts
IMO, the ZRX will be less of a change. Power delivery wise and ergos wise. The FZ1 leans slightly more towards the sportbike platforms. A little (very little) more winding out will of the motor to hit the powerband and a sportier riding position. Nothing radical, but less muscle-bikeish.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I like my FZ1. It does everything great. I do track days on it and travel around the country on it too. Its also a very low maintenance bike. Valve checks are at nearly 27,000 intervals.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
It might come down to a matter of personal style preferrence, but the FZ1 does out-perform the ZRX in most catagories. I had mine out at a couple of track days and rode with 2 guys on ZRXs. While they do say that the rider is a larger part of the equation, the FZ1 was faster everywhere around the track except the front straight since the ZRX does make more torque. It was faster there, but not able to brake as late for the first turn. If I was choosing between these 2 bikes, low-end torque was my main consideration and I rode mostly in a straight line while taking it easy in the corners, the ZRX would be a good choice. The FZ1 is solidly superior when it comes to sport riding in general and has better suspension and brakes.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys !
I wouldn't mind getting either one myself if I had the funds.
It would be a hard to decide between the two . I guess I'm lucky my wallet won't let me get either one.

My friend does a lot of Hi-way riding,going about 120 mi. round trip to work. On weekends he does go out for pleasure rides on the back roads.
He also had a back injury a few years ago while jumping a dirtbike,so he needs a bike that won't punish him.

Squid Killer brought up mantainance which could come into play with my friend. Lets just say he rides his bikes hard and puts them away wet.
It would need to be tough and take some moderate abuse/neglect.
He mentioned seeing a nice used FZ1 for sell,so I doubt he will buy new if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not to make the decision harder, but is the SV1000 an option?

Liter V-twin, decent styling. Supposed to be a real steal of a bike (Cycle World article - Best bike you're not buying.")

·
Registered
238 Posts
i'd say go with the kawi z-1000. They are sporty and i think they are one of the coolest naked bikes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fz1, the most kickass streetbike you can get. I ride my dad's fz1 around all the time, I love riding that thing. It nice and comfy, great wind protection, def holds its own on the twisties, and is very smooth! Bike is somewhat heavy, and suspension plush, but thats great when you're cruising down the highway or ripping down a bumpy road.

·
Registered
269 Posts
God, I went back and forth on this - and then I bought a Speed Triple. One thing I noticed about the ergos on these two - the FZ1 has a much longer reach to the bars than the ZRX. Vis a vis your friends back injury and comfort, something to pay attention to when you sit on them in the showroom. I don't doubt that the FZ1 is a "superior" machine. But if the style of the ZRX pushes your buttons . . . The FZ1 leaves me totally cold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts