Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Im looking into buying a bike. I have quite a bit of expierence on dirt and streetbikes but only ridin a sport bike once or twice. I was wondering to all you yamaha riders out there if you could tell me the pros and cons of your bike. Mainly Im looking at what you like and dislike about your bike...what kinda fuel eff you getting...what is insurance running you...etc...Im looking at the middle weights the 600s of the yamaha line. So Im would apreaciate a response from all you R6, 600R, and FZ6 riders out there. Thanks it advance :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
R6 is the racebike of the 3, aggressive ergos, wailing power, razor handling, light weight, the works.

The YZF-600R is the supersport of yesteryear, slower, fatter, and less taut but still competitive. The power is more tractable, and it's far more comfortable to ride.

The FZ6 is at the opposite end of the spectrum from the R6, with relaxed upright seating, handlebars instead of clipons, a functional windscreen, and other sport/tour goodies. It still has a slightly detuned R6 motor in it though, so it's no slouch.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I have a 95 YZF600R and love the bike. This was the bike they replaced with the R6. I don't know about the new 600R but they are pretty comfy. Mine had the 2 seats instead of one and diffrent sitting position than the new ones. It's a little more racey. There is nothing I don't like about the bike. The fuel milage is pretty good not sure the numbers.

The 600R also is still carbarated. The R6 is fuel injected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 05 R6 and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I've ridin just about everything in the last 5 years in the 600 class and the r6 is the most comfortable and responsive to me. I pay about 170 a month for insurance. I am a huge yamaha fan so if you're lookin for a vote in that direction you have it from me!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've got an FZ6 that I bought about two weeks ago, so I've got a fairly fresh perspective on it. I bought it because it is a great all-arounder (sporty enough, comfortable enough for distance, good gas mileage). I like the mini fairing's wind protection and the fact that I don't have a full fairing to worry about damaging. Coming from an '83 Nighthawk 650 (great starter bike), the FZ6 feels sporty, fast, and thoroughly modern. I love that the bike starts every time with no worries (the up-side of fuel injection).

Now the downside: Any review of the bike that you read will mention the grabby clutch with a short engagement zone, and this is pretty accurate. I've already adjusted to it, but it is a minor flaw with the bike. I've also read complaints of 'clunky' shifting. Yes, the shifter does tend to make a clunking noise, especially shifting into first, but I've yet to miss a shift with some pretty aggressive riding (I've put around 750 miles on it so far), and I find it easy to shift. I don't mind the clunk into first gear, as it let's me know when I've hit first (no gear indicator). The fuel injection can be a bit abrupt when coming back on throttle, and this has taken some getting used to. It's similar to the drivetrain play that would cause some abruptness on my Nighthawk, so it doesn't faze me too much. It does require some extra smoothness/attention, and could bother a new rider trying to apply power at the apex of corners. Oh yeah, I should mention that the seat isn't great for long riding days, but it's not horrible either.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the bike. It is plenty of sporty for me (plus cheaper to insure than a full-on sportbike) and also plenty comfortable for longer rides (rode it 200 miles home from where I bought it). I've been getting about 48 mpg, and with the 5.1 gallon tank you can easily travel over 200 miles between fill-ups.

I conclusion, I really like this bike, and would have no problem recommending it to someone looking for a really fun 600cc all-around motorcycle. I tend to think that sportbikes are overkill for the road, and enjoy the practical side of this bike. Besides, how many sportbikes have center-stands?

If you're interested in the FZ6, check out the FZ6 forum on this site. It has a lot of information and some very active members that are very friendly and willing to help you out any way they can.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Muerte said:
I have an 05 R6 and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I pay about 170 a month for insurance.
:eek: 170/month? That's crazy, man!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replys everyone. Its really a hard choice. Im debating whether I want the fun gorgous looks and excelent performance of the R6. Or do I want the cruising abilities of the FZ6...the FZ6 is what Im leaning toward right now as my dad is a harley owner so him and I would be going on lots of long rides together and I love going on long rides just for fun like upto the mountains etc. DECISIONS DECISIONS!

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
If you have no experience riding sportbikes, I would advise against buying a new bike. Buy a used (late nineties) cbr600, yzf600, or zx-6 to learn on. You will drop it, then you will end up paying $2000 a year ($170 a month) for insurance...maybe more.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have an r6 and dont suggest it for a first bike at all its powerful its light and will flip you on your ass faster than you can blink get something smaller until your comfortable riding around on the street an older 500 something like that if you need the freeway if not use a 250 get comfy with it then move up when you have alot more miles on the road under your belt i know im only 22 and saying this but ive ridden bikes since i could walk.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an '04 FZ6 with just over 8k miles and really love it. It's fuel injected, has great ergos and almost all the power of a R6. I was told the engine is the same as a R6 with a slightly heavier cam (resulting in about 10% reduction in power). It handles wonderfully - very flickable. Most of the other FZ6 riders I know usse it for sport touring - so for cruising with your Dad, this bike would definately fit your needs.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JedoubbleSe said:
i have an r6 and dont suggest it for a first bike at all its powerful its light and will flip you on your ass faster than you can blink get something smaller until your comfortable riding around on the street an older 500 something like that if you need the freeway if not use a 250 get comfy with it then move up when you have alot more miles on the road under your belt i know im only 22 and saying this but ive ridden bikes since i could walk.
Yea I have been on bikes since I was 2 years old so I do have expierence. Ive ridin my dads 1200 harley sportster as well as a lot of different touring bikes and a couple (as I call them) put put bike. My fav is an old yamaha 400 that bike FLYS its 6 speed and I can get it to 120 in 5th...Ive never shifted it into 6th because we never regestered it so I couldnt hit the highways. I have ridin a couple sport bikes with no problems. I road my brothers friend's GSX-R750 and my neighbors CBR600. They had a lot of power but I never felt out of control or like I was gonna flip it or anything. Only time I have gone down on a bike was dirtbikes when I decided to try and do something crazy :p I am responsible and I know my limits on the street I never push a bike farther then I can go.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
:)
dennisred69 said:
I have a 95 YZF600R and love the bike. This was the bike they replaced with the R6. I don't know about the new 600R but they are pretty comfy. Mine had the 2 seats instead of one and diffrent sitting position than the new ones. It's a little more racey. There is nothing I don't like about the bike. The fuel milage is pretty good not sure the numbers.

The 600R also is still carbarated. The R6 is fuel injected.
The new YZF600R is just as comfy as its elder brethren. I can ride mine all day without a sore butt or numb wrists and arms. Slighty heavier, slower and less sporty than the R6, but there is a good reason why the bike hasn't changed at all over the years; you don't mess with perfection. :) Ok, maybe not perfection but it's formula works.

As far as the numbers, I've read they put down @ 89 to 93 HP to the wheels. As with any bike, throw on a new sprocket set, jet kit and exhaust and you can easily boost performance. Don't let the fact that it is carburated sway you away from it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts