Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal. I ride on the street primarily. I've loved all three of these bikes since the day they were rumors. Ive been riding for about 7 years now and Have owned everything from a Ninja 250 to a TL1000R and even a 250 dual sport.

I usually ride for about 4 hours at a time, I hate the interstate and spend most of my time playing in corners and accelerating under 100mph.

Daytona 675: Man, what a great looking bike that sounds even better. However it does have a committed riding position, and I worry about its ability to goad you into going faster and faster because it just feels right. The handling is a dream though(like any sportbike:D)

2nd Gen FZ1: Literbike power. I do love the rush of acceleration(TLR taught me that) Handling is still great, and its ALOT more comfy which might allow me to enjoy a more relaxed pace from time to time without feeling "rushed" by the bike? Also great prices on these used

XR1200: Looks great, sounds great. Handles ok power isnt awesome..but I suspect I could live with it. The thought with me is a "more fun to ride a slow bike fast" This might make it a better backroad bomber.

So to get to the point, Has anyone had the chance to compare any of these three bikes to eachother? How did YOU feel about them?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Of the three bikes you listed, I personally would go with the Daytona 675. HOWEVER, I do not know how you feel about it's riding position. For me it was a perfect match, but for you it may be a "torture rack" as others have called it. So if the Daytona turned out to be not for you, go with the FZ1. Seems like the best bike judging how you wrote your post.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Only input I can provide is that the XR1200 is crap. Do yourself a favour and steer clear.

Haven't ridden the other 2 listed, but have lusted after the 675 in the past.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
I think you're kidding yourself a little bit if you think that an FZ1 won't make you want to ride fast. I've seen guys that put exhaust and a tune on their gen 2 FZ1s and make in the neighborhood of 140-150rwhp. That is just like any other liter. I imagine too that with the 675 you'd find yourself wanting to ride it faster and faster because they just sound so good. If you really want to go slower you'd need to get something tamer with crappier suspension. I know that going from my bike to an SV1000, I started riding A LOT slower. The suspension was so crappy and all the fun was under 5k-6k rpm. It really wasn't that fun to go wide open on that bike. It was a lot more fun to get on the power hard coming out of slow corners.

But based on the bikes considered, if I were you, I would go with the Daytona. You're only young once. Might as well ride the bike now that you won't be able to ride when you're 50 or 60. That is my thought.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If the daytona is a torture rack, maybe get the street triple or get the daytona and put dirt bike bars on it.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Given that list, I'd suggest taking a close look at the Triumph Street Triple R, and at the Kawasaki Z1000. I've testridden all three that you mention, plus several others, and the two I mention were the best IMO. The other bike I've tested in that general price range that I really liked was the Ducati HyperMotard 796.

Test ride all six (plus anything else you can get your hands on), and buy the one that makes you smile the widest.

If you are interested, I can post my riding impressions of all six bikes.

PhilB

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I put 15,000 miles on an 09 FZ1 until a Prius driver decided I didn't need it anymore. I loved the bike, it did everything, backroad bomber, two up tourer, commuter, you name it. But that bike is FAST. My only real issue with it was the high frequency vibration that made my hands go numb after a while but I have carpal tunnel so that has a lot to do with it.

I also had a Street Triple, the naked version of the Daytona, I love the motor, and once I got those shitty OEM Dunlops off it it handles like a dream. Race Rep bikes just aren't for me, which is why I'm glad I can still enjoy bikes like Daytonas, R1s, and RSVRs without actually having to live with them by buying their naked cousins.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given that list, I'd suggest taking a close look at the Triumph Street Triple R, and at the Kawasaki Z1000. I've testridden all three that you mention, plus several others, and the two I mention were the best IMO. The other bike I've tested in that general price range that I really liked was the Ducati HyperMotard 796.

Test ride all six (plus anything else you can get your hands on), and buy the one that makes you smile the widest.

If you are interested, I can post my riding impressions of all six bikes.

PhilB

Phil, Ive read some fo your reviews of bikes, I like them. Instead of posting in individual threads, you might post links to a thread where you you review them in a master "phils testride link thread" Along with a quick bio of your riding experiences and bikes...as well as your general usage and wants out of motorcycling. It would save you alot of time, and really make for good reading for lame ass virtual testriders, like myself. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But based on the bikes considered, if I were you, I would go with the Daytona. You're only young once. Might as well ride the bike now that you won't be able to ride when you're 50 or 60. That is my thought.

This train of thought has been sneaking up on me lately. I hate regretting stuff.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Phil, Ive read some fo your reviews of bikes, I like them. Instead of posting in individual threads, you might post links to a thread where you you review them in a master "phils testride link thread" Along with a quick bio of your riding experiences and bikes...as well as your general usage and wants out of motorcycling. It would save you alot of time, and really make for good reading for lame ass virtual testriders, like myself. :D
I've got them all saved in a Word document, which is up to 44 pages now. I've never put them all into one thread, but I guess I could. Hey, any mod, do we have a place for such things where I could put that all and people could find it easily?

PhilB

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On a side note..how does the Daytona 675 deal with bumpy roads..not like potholes..but playing around on roads with surfaces that are less than perfect? How about the FZ1?

Im concerned mostly with bumps while cornering..I have grit and determination to deal with the straight up and down bumps;)

Phil I also noticed you are on ADVrider.. you might consider doing something similar there?

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
On a side note..how does the Daytona 675 deal with bumpy roads..not like potholes..but playing around on roads with surfaces that are less than perfect? How about the FZ1?

Im concerned mostly with bumps while cornering..I have grit and determination to deal with the straight up and down bumps;)

Phil I also noticed you are on ADVrider.. you might consider doing something similar there?
Just like any other sportbike. Stiff suspension won't absorb a lot of the bumps that the less sporty bikes do.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
On a side note..how does the Daytona 675 deal with bumpy roads..not like potholes..but playing around on roads with surfaces that are less than perfect?
Probably like any other SS bike. Not bad if the suspension is set up properly. Get a 675R with full Ohlins and some helibars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts