Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would LOVE a handlebar mount for an XM radio. I've nevr had XM, but for long trips I think that would be the straight up dookie!

Love it to be hard wired to the bike, and be loud enough to not have to be amplified like my cd player has to be (little battery operated compact disc player)

Does such an animal exist? Where?

·
Registered
813 Posts
They make bike mounts for GPS.. I would think that you would have to buy one of those and modify it to fit your bike and XM..

Or you could get a 1GB mp3 player. You just put your line out to your cd player and put the mp3 player in your pocket?

·
Registered
67 Posts
My Sirius radio came with a suction mount that I use in my truck. I'm intending on using it on long trips, so I decided to go out and do a test fit. Here are the results:

As you can see, this works pretty well. There is no interference lock-to-lock of the handlebars, which is requirement number one. It blocks the gas gauge when cruising, however you can adjust your riding position momentarily if you need to see it. What I consider to be more important is that you still have view of the speedo and tach while cruising, including the odometer, so you should have an idea of when you need to stop for fuel anyway. Of course, all of this is specific to my Bandit 1200.

Adding permenant wiring is a cinch, and this way you can take your radio with you. I don't know about you XM folk, but my Sirius receiver has a standard headphone output with volume controls on the side. I haven't actually hooked it up to try it on the motorcycle, but I suspect it will amplify adequately, especially once I get the larger windshield installed.

I don't know if this idea would work for you guys on other bikes, but if it did, it would certainly be the easiest way to do it. The only thing I would then worry about would be rain... I don't suspect these things are very waterproof.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My Sirius radio has the built in FM modulator so it will transmit over a selected radio station.

I put my sirius radio in my tank bag, antenna right on top of bag, taped down. (right now, half-ass wired to battery - soon a better wiring hook up...)

I have a small MP3 player that also does FM radio.. That picks up the Sirus signal being sent out from the sirius radio.. Stick that in my pocket with the ear buds in my ears... works beautiful!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hippie that sounds like it would work quite well except that would make it difficult to change stations, I would think. One of the appeals to my solution for me is that it makes it easy for me to change stations.

Yours keeps the Sirius radio fro mbeing exposed to rain, though.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I usually just leave it on one channel because they are commercial free...

If I really need to change the channel, the radio has 10 preset buttons across the front and a jog dial.. A quick unzip of the bag at a traffic light, hit a button, and zip up..

I have the Sirius Sportster model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts