Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok sometimes after a long drive or once it gets really hot I hear a small ticking noise coming from the engine. It's really pissing me off. I asked a mechanic and he said it's perfectly normal and if it wasn't ticking once in awhile there would be something? Can anyone back this up? I need to get a second opinion and I would like for some of you guys to respond. Thanks :) :nerd

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
Is it the same ticking noise you get from a car? I mean, since a bike runs pretty hot, and the rates of expansion for the metal in the engine block and the exhaust manifold, for example, are different, then their interactions tend to make noise.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've got the same thing, and every R6 I've heard has the same thing. I asked about it when I first got my 6 and was told it's normal.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Should be normal. My bikes ticking sound always comes from the top right hand side of the engine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok, a few things...

You have an 03, the 03's and possibly the 04's produce a low ticking noise that is normal. It is the fuel injection I believe, I forgot what the explanation was, but there is a normal ticking noise.

Now, how many miles do you have on the 03. You need to be sure that it is the normal ticking you are hearing and not your spark plugs/coils starting to arc. Around 8-10k miles the vast majority of the 03s had this problem and the coils needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DreddR6 said:
Ok, a few things...

You have an 03, the 03's and possibly the 04's produce a low ticking noise that is normal. It is the fuel injection I believe, I forgot what the explanation was, but there is a normal ticking noise.

Now, how many miles do you have on the 03. You need to be sure that it is the normal ticking you are hearing and not your spark plugs/coils starting to arc. Around 8-10k miles the vast majority of the 03s had this problem and the coils needed to be replaced.
i have just a little under 5 miles, so everything should be ok :) Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
my tick comes and goes it sounds like an internal tick like a piston or lifter or something but I guess its fine right because it comes and goes?? ? If I heard a similar noise on a car Id be able to tell what it is from but Im not extremely familar with bike engines..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts