Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want gear. I've been procrastinating, and its time I got off my ass :)... I set aside some money and want to pick up boots, gloves and a 2pc suit that will be for the street and track days. Since this stuff isn't exactly cheap, I wanted to run it by you guys and hear what you though.

Boots: I like the Sidi Vertigo (water proof, apparently have vents for when its hot and the way they fit my calves is nice).

Gloves: Held Profi or Galaxy? Anybody here have either? Whats a good alternative ~$150?

2pc suit: I'm still lost. What is the best quality 2pc suit I can buy for ~800? I'm not so much into the bling/fashion statement, but rather the protection, functionality and quality of product.

Am I missing anything? (back protector?)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i need to find boots that fit my fat feet. I had to get 13's or 14's because I have a wide foot. they almost slip off my heel when I'm walking.

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
The Vertigos are pretty nice, I would definately get those over the Vert 2's.

For gloves, I have Alpinestars GP Plus'. Nice gloves and I got them dirt cheap ($90) The GP Pro's are pretty much the same glove but have venting for another $20. They tend to fit a little smaller, but I still wear a size Large like I do it all gloves.

2 Piece suits? Hmm... For the track I would do a one piece, and buy a jacket for the street, but to each their own. Unfortunately, I do not know much about 2 piece suits.

Back Protector is a must for the track. I use a full upper body armor piece from Velocity Gear. www.highvelocitygear.com

They sell just back protectors too. Dirt cheap because they are not a big name company, and the back protector is CE Level 2 approved. You can get their stuff on ebay cheaper than what they sell for on their site. I think the seller name is velocitygear.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I went to corse motorsports and found an AGV 1pc that fits great on me. I think I'm going to get it. It has a hump on the back; Does that not sufice as a back protector? Should still get separate one?

I'm getting my Sidi boots from there too and all said and done, it'll be as good a deal as I found online (for new stuff).

I tried some Held Ninjas while I was up there, and don't like them very much. Didn't try the AStars gp pros... need to find a places that carries them. BTW, I really liked the Dainese gloves but they are over 200... maybe i'll splurge.

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
Yeah, that hump is nothing more than something for style, and slightly for aerodynamics. It really doesnt do much of anything in the event of a crash. The foam pad in the suit is also not really doing to do much either. A seperate back protector is what you will want to get.

What AGV suit was it? I have the Photon, just a beginner suit, but some of their higher end stuff, like the Podium (I think thats its name) is supposed to be really nice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC, its the sp-4. Also a beginner suit, as far as I can tell. The Podum is kind of expensive isn't it? I'll upgrade if I actually start racing. Besides, I need the extra money to get another jacket for daily use! Hmmm what to get, what to get.

For the back protector, should I get the 6 or 7 plate?

Thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey now, RavenR1 can attest to the fact that my "speed hump" makes me 10 percent faster.

Actually, I thought it was to keep your helmet from snapping back too far and risk breaking your neck. Surely football players don't wear them for aerodynamics. :confused:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anybody is interested...

I thought about it for a while, stared into my wallet, and ended up with the following:

1) Sidi Vertigo (red, US size 11)

2) AGV Trident 2pc Leather suit (red, size US 46)

3) Knox KC2000 X1

4) Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves (red, XL)

Anything I should rethink?

·
Registered
252 Posts
What about this...

dorao said:
If anybody is interested...

I thought about it for a while, stared into my wallet, and ended up with the following:

1) Sidi Vertigo (red, US size 11)

2) AGV Trident 2pc Leather suit (red, size US 46)

3) Knox KC2000 X1

4) Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves (red, XL)

Anything I should rethink?
Have you thought of a set of full body leathers, I know a site that has the Laser one piece racing suits for under $250 any color sizes up to 52, I would recommend a one piece for the track. :banana

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I had been thinking about it quite a bit.

I was torn between getting an sp-4 or aegis, then also getting another jacket for riding, as I currently am still 'borrowing' one from a friend.

The thing is, I'm planning to go to 3-4 track days this year and I'm not sure if I can actually justify the cost of getting a 1pc suit that won't get much use. The 2pc seems the way to go, plus easier to get in and out of... I always struggle getting out of 1pc suits.

·
Registered
252 Posts
dorao said:
Yeah, I had been thinking about it quite a bit.

I was torn between getting an sp-4 or aegis, then also getting another jacket for riding, as I currently am still 'borrowing' one from a friend.

The thing is, I'm planning to go to 3-4 track days this year and I'm not sure if I can actually justify the cost of getting a 1pc suit that won't get much use. The 2pc seems the way to go, plus easier to get in and out of... I always struggle getting out of 1pc suits.
Well the two piece still is going to cost over 300 hundred so the one piece Laser Leather 1PC Suit would be safer and cheaper. Also, you can do what I do, just take it down and tie it across the waste when not riding, I usually just wear an undershirt beneath. I would recommended if you do a track day, one piece is a lot safer I think...

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't pick up on this thread earlier...

A 2-peice will work well (maybe better) for the track as long as you have a full circumfrance zipper. Vansons, for example, are excellent quality. Plus, you can take off your jacket between sessions, and you have the jacket for street use. If I had it to do agian, I would likely go this route.

Fully custom leathers (Syed... etc.) start around $800 - so don't write that option off.

Also, MotoGP offers $800 Kangaroo Skin leathers... Construction seems pretty sound.

I am personally a big Dianese fan - Corse has some at very low prices (<$800) if you get lucky and your size is in stock.

I have a Joe Rocket Speedmaster 1-peice. I'm impressed, but it's pretty heavy. If you go that route, I'd suggest a 2-peice.

Don't bother with any other boot than the Sidi. I got Joe Rocket Speedmaster boots and they sucked. I was able to get the Vertebra Race for the same price as the Vertigo standard... something worth looking into.

As far as trackdays go - you'll likely be okay in the entry level stuff. I'm not talking crappy Technik stuff here - but a mid-grade AGV suit will work fine. It's not a matter of protection, it's more surviveability of the suit. A $400 AGV will require significant repair after a good trip down the road. A $2200 Dianese will take 40 trips down the road before you have to consider repairing it. Reasonably, though, you will be roughly equally protected in both for that first fall. This is a real issue for tarmac happy racers... significantly less so for trackday riders.

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
I don't know about the Trident... I'm not fluent enough with the suit market to recognize all but a few names... but it should be in the promotional literature.

You might want to give Alexia a call - she does professional leather repair with her company "Spyder Leatherworks" (she's in the Milwaukee area).

Check http://www.spyderleatherworks.com/

She posts on nesba.com as SpyderChick. If anyone could reccomend the best suit for your purpose and budget constraints - she'd be the one. I wish I sould have leveraged her input when I bought my leathers...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Emailed Alexia instead.

Also found out from a vendor that the AGV trident does have a 360 zipper.

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
dorao said:
Excellent!! That was exactly what I was looking for!
Good - glad to help!

dorao said:
Does she know you by name? or Murf99?
I don't think she'd know me at all. I know her daughter a little, though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts