Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It's the surprisingly simple things that can make the biggest differences in riding.

Vouching for CSS as a very big reason for my advancement in the last season. :)

Trying to work coming out for Lvls 3 & 4 into my schedule this season, but looks more like it may be more like another 'season opener' situation that would work best for me.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Neat video but I feel you could go more in depth even for a basic video. Maybe clarify what you mean by "control" as most don't realize how limited they are in their ability to simply open the throttle when they are holding it like a baseball bat while in a corner. I suspect this fact alone leads to many throttle control and body position issues for people in right handed turns.

Thanks for the vid though... :) Hopefully I can take your guys school one day...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ah, Dylan! Want to ask you a couple of ?'s while you're online. Is it pretty safe to use previous years' school schedules to try to get a general dates plan for 2014? I want to come back for Lvls 3 & 4, either returning to Sonoma/Infineon/Sears Point with my own bike, or possibly doing the school at Laguna. Have to have time off requests in by early Jan and I know he schedules aren't out by then.

Other question is does CSS ever do the single day events at Laguna (to allow use of your own bike with OEM exhaust), or is it only limited to the 2day camps (using the school bikes)?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for posting the vids!

-Christian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Christian,

Yes, the previous year's schedule is a pretty good indicator of what will happen for the year following. Our schedule is usually finalized around mid-late November.

However Laguna Seca is much harder to predict as their scheduling system is not like other tracks for the most part. Sometimes have to wait longer before we know on those dates.

Laguna has certain time restrictions and other difficulties connected to it where running a single day school there is difficult and Keith decided to only run the 2 day camps to ensure that the students have a 100% experience. The 2 day camps have two groups instead of three at a single day school.

The sound restrictions there are being enforced strictly--so strictly that bone stock exhausts are going over the limit. It's not an easy place to run a school at...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Thanks for the super quick response, Dylan.

Honest opinion: out of the two, which track do you think is more beneficial to the student?

I LOVED Infineon, as it has a bit of everything: uphill blind apex, couple of sweepers, downhill carousel, double apex, esses, bustop/chicane, hairpin, high speed kink. I felt Barber was a lot like that as far as technical riding, as well.

I'm sure Laguna definitely has its challenges as well. Would love the opportunity to ride and begin attempting to learn that track.

-Christian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Infineon is a better learning track than Laguna. Laguna has grip issues if it's cold. The corkscrew is fun and everyone needs to ride there at least once. Personally I would do a track day at Laguna and a school at Infineon/Sonoma Raceway/Sears Point--whatever they are calling it nowadays.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This was an interesting video, and something a friend and I were talking about recently - that we both 'prefer' left turns over right turns, and the reason was that the right hand get's all jacked up. I never thought about adjusting the grip to accommodate!
I've been trying to practice this just during normal road riding, and I'm finding it difficult to make the transition smoothly without making any abrupt throttle inputs. Also not exactly sure when the transition should be made - doing it before the turn makes it much more difficult to get on the brakes - but during the turn causes unwanted throttle or steering inputs. Guess I just need to keep practicing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most turns you are off the throttle when leaning the bike into the turn. Try moving your wrist as you are finishing your lean into the turn. See if that works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts