Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have one or riden one? I have some dirtbike experience but have been out of riding dirtbikes for 5 or 6 years now...

I was planning on getting an sv650 for my first bike but after looking around youtube and seeing videos of people riding enduro bikes through the woods it made me want to do it again... Now getting a full on enduro bike like a wr450f AND a street dedicated bike is out of the question right now

So I was thinking id get a wr250r put all the performance shit I possibly can on it to squeeze everything I can get out of the bike and ride it for a year then next year ill get an sv650 or another street only bike and have both

My main concern is highway riding... Ill probably only ride it 20 or so miles on the highway at a time to work and back most of the time... I have no doubt the bike can handle it but im afraid It will be a sucky ride for me and ill be back in my gas guzzler for commuting

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'd go for a drz400 or crf450x. A 250 dirtbike on the highway isnt unheard of but would probably suck. Look at the dr650 and klx400 too.

The crf250l looks sweet though

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A non street legal bike like the crf450 cant be made street legal here in NY if that wasnt the case id go with a wr450f

As far as the drz goes from what I hear it really needs a 6th gear on the highway

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
There is a guy on youtube his channel is "mototrippen" he road his wr250x for 3 or 4 hours to key west if im not mistaken. I don't have any experience my self but it should be fine on the highway. Granted I know how you upstate new yorkers drive so Idk. Lol jk

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a guy on youtube his channel is "mototrippen" he road his wr250x for 3 or 4 hours to key west if im not mistaken. I don't have any experience my self but it should be fine on the highway. Granted I know how you upstate new yorkers drive so Idk. Lol jk

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

Yeah Ive seen mototrippins vids.. that guy is crazy lol...

This video of his is what really sparked my interest in the wr250r

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
The WR250R looks awesome! I've been lusting after one for awhile now. I've never ridden one before, but if it's like other dualsport/dirtbike 250 singles, highway riding will be doable, but not exactly fun.

If you're going to be regularly commuting on the highway, you might want to adjust the stock gearing (either go up a tooth in the front sprocket or down a 2-3 teeth in the rear). On advrider, it seems that's almost a necessary modification if the bike is regularly ridden on the highway. Speaking of, you should ask this question over on advrider.com. You'll find a lot more people over there with personal experience with this bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts