Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have now officially ridden outside of a lot, and all I have to say is 'wow.' I can't describe how awesome it felt to be riding, not second up.

One question, for you guys, though... How do you start, on anything that's greater than, say, a 10% grade? I've found that if I hold in my front break, and let out the clutch slowly at 4~5k rpms, I can let out the front brakes when I feel the shocks starting to compress and I'll get up and over from a standstill at about 5mph. Is there a better way to do this?

·
Banned
730 Posts
BuRn__ said:
u talkin about starting on a hill? i just hold my rear brake then let it off when the clutch grabs
Ditto. '''''''''

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Same as a car, dude. Practice, practice, practice. If you can't let out the clutch and give it some gas (without using any brake) to get started on a hill, you need to practice. On the other hand, I see you're close to the "hills" of San Francisco. My comment doesn't count on those "hills"... but then, if you can't walk up it without a harness, rope, rope climbers and crash helmet, I don't consider it a "hill".

·
Registered
456 Posts
Drifter said:
Same as a car, dude. Practice, practice, practice. If you can't let out the clutch and give it some gas (without using any brake) to get started on a hill, you need to practice. On the other hand, I see you're close to the "hills" of San Francisco. My comment doesn't count on those "hills"... but then, if you can't walk up it without a harness, rope, rope climbers and crash helmet, I don't consider it a "hill".
if you sit on a hill and only use the clutch to keep you in place your tearing up that clutch. by doing that youll cause premanture wear and glazing.

use either front for rear brake for a newbie use the rear that way you can focus on both hands on the controls. I showed my girl in a parking lot that had a few small hills. I didnt let her go out of the lot without learning the hills. then right outside the lot there is a nice hill. she had to go up that hill before we left. she had a hard time starting up again. took forever found out she was in second gear on her 250 and it just doesnt have the power. she put it in first and hasnt had any problems on hills after that. so dont ride on main roads untill you can start on a hill

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Yeah, hills are a great place to get used to working a clutch, whether its a car or a bike. Once you're accustomed to "hill climbing", you shouldn't have any more problems stalling.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hagios said:
I've found that if I hold in my front break, and let out the clutch slowly at 4~5k rpms, I can let out the front brakes when I feel the shocks starting to compress and I'll get up and over from a standstill at about 5mph. ?
that's a good way to wheelie if you give it too much gas on accident and let the clutch out too fast

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I personally don't even hold the clutch in on a hill. What I do is hold the clutch at the friction point. Then when you start going rev it and ease off the clutch at the same time. Gets ya going and with very little roll back

·
Registered
968 Posts
vuu16v said:
Ditto. '''''''''
+1

or hold the bike right at the edge of the friction zone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts