Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Commented on a Facebook post from somebody I know at work. Just was so floored by the pretentiousness, I had to share with you all. To clarify, I don't know the Bill guy who had also commented on the post.

:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor

Just can't deal with all those squids at trackdays. You know, those 5% or whatever of sportbike owners who actually do them... But its his first race?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
...yea.

Those track day squids get me every time. I know when I think of riding track I think of t-shirt, jeans, reckless abandon and a total disregard for the rules. :rolleyes

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
the term squid is being used all wrong too often anymore.

he's probably using the term correctly actually.
it was made up because some riders resemble a squid in how it moves.

I mostly think of a squid as in that picture above with no riding gear on whatsoever.
and the guys who think they're bad asses doing stunts down the highways and being a general douche in public (close proximity to crowded areas and highways) with their bike as in speeding, wheelies, posing at bikenight and thinking they're the shit (the cool kid attitude) when in reality they'd probably crash trying to keep up with any decent rider just out for a brisk pace stroll on some mountain road.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

he's probably using the term correctly actually.
it was made up because some riders resemble a squid in how it moves.
Nah, there's a difference between a noob and a squid. Everyone starts off slow. At least people who make the effort to go to a trackday are at least interested in gaining skill and experience.

The true squid has no skill, and keeps it that way.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Squid to me has always been someone only in to it for the image and cool factor. Possibly the desire to go fast. The rest of the symptoms are caused by their lack of actual real interest in the sport.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Squid to me has always been someone only in to it for the image and cool factor. Possibly the desire to go fast. The rest of the symptoms are caused by their lack of actual real interest in the sport.
I agree. Might want to amend that to: "desire to go fast IN A STRAIGHT LINE" :banana

·
Registered
507 Posts
LOL! The term "anymore" is being used all wrong too often nowadays.

But yeah. Had Bill said, "too many amateurs" it might have been less offensive. Even then most track days are grouped by experience, so I don't see his objection.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But yeah. Had Bill said, "too many amateurs" it might have been less offensive. Even then most track days are grouped by experience, so I don't see his objection.
After one race, being all elitist about being a "racer" compared to regular trackday goers is just BS. Its like a college freshman scheduling classes for his first semester, and talking about highschool kids like they're disgustingly immature.

All I had said was "trackbike" and the guy has to correct me and say its was a race, not a trackday. Duh, its a RACEBIKE not just a mere dedicated trackbike like all the other squids. :laugh

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is good for anyone to go to a trackday to learn and get experience (notice i didn't say more).

But all too often, kids that want to go fast or even look cool don't listen and don't pay attention to the rules on trackdays.

.........Only if they grew up faster.....

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Question: If a squid on the street goes to a trackday is he still a squid?

If the answer is yes, then there are some squids at some trackdays.

But I agree that Bill was basically just being a douche and trying to talk down to measly trackday riders

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Speeding quickly? Can you speed slowly?

Reactions: scythe08

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That always annoys me when police try to sound all official... "he was traveling at a high rate of speed".

Speed is already a rate (distance per time). Rate of speed would be distance per time, per time. In other words, acceleration. So if the guy was tearing ass from a stoplight, then it may be an accurate description. But thats not usually when its used.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
LOL! The term "anymore" is being used all wrong too often nowadays.

The distinction of "any more" and "anymore" seems to be recognized by many, but not all, US users and by dictionaries published in the US.

AUE: "anymore" and "any more"

so basically i didn't use it wrong.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts