Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW :eek: is all I can say... This is really impressive. I was messing around and ripped a short scene from Hitch the DVD. The end scene where they are dancing to the remake of Steel Pulse "Now That We Found Love" it was a 2 minute section of a VOB file 235Mb originally. I used the DIVX 6 Convert (it comes with the create bundle) and it compressed the file down to 14Mb !!! In under 4 minutes!!

That is amazing. The quality is outstanding also! Check it out! The very first thing I tried with it and it came out like this..... Blew my mind!!

http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=344P6UBOSVK680S8SQ82BW0V1L :popcorn

unbelievable how much it smashed it down and it still looks like a DVD. I didnt touch ANY settings, left it the way it was and just showed it the file and let it rip....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, that is impressive. How much is that thing? I've got some videos I'd love to convert to cut down on file sizes, plus it makes it easier to find a host for them. Need more info!!

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
ok KH, id like to know where you found that proggy. Looks awsome and im impressed it shrunk the video that much with that kind of quality. damn good find.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
www.divx.com they just released it. It replaces Dr. Divx which I used for the last coupla years.... The new "Create" is just fekkin amazin.... If I'm not mistaken it costs about 30 - 40 bux. They wanted 10 to update my Dr. Divx to Create but I ain't got the $$$'s So I'm usin the demo till I find a crack or find some $$ layin around :a2

*worthy of sayin.... my comp is a real POS shitbox too... The halfway decent one I had went up in flames n smoke when the cpu fan took a break and went AWOL.... This is a old P3 700 with 256ram and thats it!! When I saw the progress bar just screaming along as it compressed it I thought ya right.... this aint doin shit.... when I saw the finished file size I even more said its BS...

Then I watched the result..... and had to pick the ol jaw up off the dam floor.... I aint used to that shyt... Im accostomed to waiting half a hour or more for a 200Mb sized file to compress and then it's still a big ass file... This just floored me....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Doesn't seem that much more impressive than divx5 to me. The quality and length seemed about right for 14mb

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Pyromaniac said:
Doesn't seem that much more impressive than divx5 to me. The quality and length seemed about right for 14mb

From a Original size of 235Mb? in 4 minutes on a p3 700 with 128Mb ram? divx 5 would have taken 2 hours to compress a vob file that size and convert it... but why believe what I said.... it also mentions that it is OVER Twice as fast as divx 5 at divx's site..... :bitchslap

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Hey Krazy, I'm not too familiar with this but...

Would this mean I could compress a full video into this smaller format, then burn say, 2 or 3 full movies onto a DVD? Would that work? So the result would be 3 (or whatever) full quality movies onto 1 DVD? Know what I mean?

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You sure could. But to play it in a home stand alone player it needs to be a new divx enabled player. This is gunna be a whole new era in video compression..... I been looking into it at divx labs and it's much improved over any compressor... The benifits are many fold..... on the web alone smaller file sizes saves bandwidth by the boatload....

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ thats yet to be seen..... I'll wait till I see what the experts come up with. Check www.doom9.org they will be doing a comparasin soon and they are fans of xvid also but keep a open mind. My results with xvid have been sketchy at best. Just too many variables to make to get it just right. Thats where Dr Divx really shined, just drag what you want to the window and it did the rest. The new divx 6 create is a good bit better than the old divx 5 and then the doom9 guys had a hard time choosing which was better. Main reason they chose xvid was because its free. Divx is free too if you know where to look.

If you do alot of stuff with video like I do the one that give you the best results the quickest is a winner. So far nothing has come close to what divx 6 has shown me.... plus I just got a beta version of the next addon to it I havent tried yet.... sounds very promising. A new codec called Helium take a peek at there new stuff here www.divxlabs.com

·
Registered
402 Posts
Toms Hardware already did a review of the new codec and noticed no compression enhancement vs File Size. I haven't noticed any either from using it. I haven't used their create software. I use Virtual Dub. DivX6 adds some nice features that some people may be interested in, but I am not. Things like Menus and Scene Selections. Further, these features are only available on a DivX6 enabled player. I don't know how things work out for backwards compatibility if you already have a Divx5 Hardware player and attempt to view a DivX6 encoded video utilizing the extra features.

We (my brother and I) rip all of our DVD's with DVD Decryptor, then compress them with DivX5, and then store them on our home File Server. I prefer to skip menu and intro, and just use the search bar on Zoom player to skip to whatever part of the video I want on the HTPC. I can't remember ever having used the scene selection feature of a DVD anyway. . .

Xvid vs. DivX is kind of a tough debate. Xvid is better with solid Blacks where DivX tends to pixelate, even with dual pass encoding and a 2000kbps bit rate. DivX on the other hand does a better job of compressing with GMC and Quarter pixel, which is much better in action shots and motion scenes.

I'll be sticking with Divx5 until a new version of DivX comes along that offers either Better Compression::File Size -or- Similar Compression to DivX5::Smaller File Size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts