Sport Bikes banner

Talking on the phone while riding?

• I would use the phone while riding. I can handle it.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Wouldn't use a phone while riding, but I support other's right to do so.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Prefer that phones be banned while riding/driving.

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked a fight with someone over this, and I'm wondering what you folks think. Here's the scenario: wireless bluetooth headphone to go with your cell phone.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
I wouldn't. But I also hate talking on the phone in the car. Besides, I'm too much of a social retard to have anyone to call. :)

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I wouldn't ride while talking on the phone. I hate doing it while in my truck!

Even though 'I' wouldn't do it for safety reasons, maybe some people can and I would hate to take away that right from someone else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You're already facing the big boat/little boat scenario with a lot of inept captains at the helm of the big boats. Here in CA you need all of your attention on the road. Plus, the only thing that scares me more than little old ladies driving big cars are people driving and talking on cell phones.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok...looks like i am the only one who supported this! not that I feel I have to justify my vote, but would like to clarify! would never use a phone on shortish urban rides..too much to concentrate on already. However, on longer trips, couple of hours of riding, don't think it is a problem taking the odd call. But keeping it short and not just gabbing! my .02 !

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Sure would. With the phone hooked into my intercom and set to auo-answer, I would receive calls.

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
I never use a cell phone while driving, and certainly never while riding. Being handsfree has nothing to do with the mental distraction that occurs while engaging in a phone conversation. People, in general, are already barely qualified to be behind the wheel, let alone with distractions.

I use every ounce of perception and concentration while riding, paying attention to all the idiot cagers drifting unconsciously across painted lines while engrossed in their phone conversation. Why would anyone want to distract themselves by using a phone while riding?

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I'd take calls if it was that easy... Only time I"ve ever talked on my phone was at like 11 at night, sitting at a stoplight that came from a lowes (which was closed, so there was no traffic) my GF called me cause my bike had broken down a few minutes earlier and she had lost me (ran out of gas.... I fucking hate that haha) so I put her on speakerphone.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The risks of cell phone use while riding were shown to be worse than drunk driving a few years ago. A more recent study confirmed it.

The impairment with a cell phone was later shown to be no better with hands-free technology.

Of course individuals differ, but if the effect in the general population is this bad it probably should be banned. Cell phone use in cars has skyrocketed in the past decade and as cell phone/driving fatalities (~2600/year) close the gap with alcohol-related highway fatalities (~17000 in 2003), cell phone use by drivers will eventually be banned.

·
Registered
676 Posts
How can anyone be so important that they MUST be reached when riding their motorcycle? I've been using a cell phone since 1990 (big heavy, installed in truck) and there is no way, hands-free or not, that one can carry on a conversation and drive/ride safely...period.

One of the biggest reasons I like to get out and ride by myself is so that I don't have to hear a phone ringing, or anyone else for that matter.

If you (anyone) think you're so important that you can't be anywhere without being in cell contact perhaps you should be driving in a car and sell your motorcycyle. You're much too important and valuable to subject yourself to the everyday inherent risks of motorcycle riding.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
I guess it also depends on the conversation. I can bias my concentration between the phone and the road pretty well in a car, but I dunno about a motorcycle. I can be talking to someone, but I'll pause when I'm stopping for a red light or whatever. And my conversations are usually less than 30 seconds but important, like: "Dude, where are ya? Ok, I'm on my way". I have never had a 10 minute conversation in a car. What I dont like to see is every driver at an intersection is in a heated debate with their passenger or someone on a cell phone. Makes me uncomfortable on the bike. Especially when they're angry and drive angry.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I had read a study where phone/driving takes 4 times more concentration than driving alone. I have experienced the hazards of phone/driving myself in my cage.

I would NEVER phone/ride. Besides, one reason for being on my bike is to escape.

If I am expecting a call, I where my cell phone on my belt with vibration mode turned on. When the phone vibrates, I pull over at the next pull-off and return the call. Easy and safe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The problem that I see with this is that when you ride and talk on the cellphone the preponderance of risk is on yourself. When you drive a car and talk on a cellphone the risk is on those around you (especially bikers)

Although I admit, wireless headsets and autoanswer make me think that taking the occasional odd call would be interesting during a long ride, it could be just as interesting to extend a gas break by a couple of minutes to take care of missed calls.

I am definitely on the fence, but I support free choice. Where there's no law against it, go ahead IMO.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I know i could ride and talk but I dont think people could hear me, they already have problems with my headset and the windows down on the auto. I also wear earplugs and a cd or radio and even to hear that over road noise (but still able to hear cars around me on the road) I have to turn it up pretty loud so i dunno if i would even like it !

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
My voicemail message:

Hi, I'm ignoring my phone right now so leave a message and I'll call you back.

I own a business and people call me constantly, but I dont talk and drive. I just pull over and call them back. I've nearly gotten in several wrecks talking and driving and one day I just said forget it. I's not worth killing someone over.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Do I think you should be on long conversations on the phone? Probably not, but to use the phone as was mentioned before "hey, when you gonna get here" "hey, could you pick me up some chocolate on the way home?" (GF) and stuff like that I think should be fine. If you can't talk for 10 seconds then you shouldn't be on the road.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
DJuanHouston said:
I know i could ride and talk but I dont think people could hear me, they already have problems with my headset and the windows down on the auto. I also wear earplugs and a cd or radio and even to hear that over road noise (but still able to hear cars around me on the road) I have to turn it up pretty loud so i dunno if i would even like it !

This is where a good intercom is very helpful, that and custom earplugs. I pipe music into my intercom from a PDA and a minidisc player and the quality is real good. I have not tried the phone yet on my Starcom but, I imagine it would be of the same quality as te music.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
MrVvrroomm said:
How can anyone be so important that they MUST be reached when riding their motorcycle? I've been using a cell phone since 1990 (big heavy, installed in truck) and there is no way, hands-free or not, that one can carry on a conversation and drive/ride safely...period.
That is your opinion...

Some of us can do more than one thing at the same time. You know, like chew gum and walk...

MrVvrroomm said:
If you (anyone) think you're so important that you can't be anywhere without being in cell contact perhaps you should be driving in a car and sell your motorcycyle. You're much too important and valuable to subject yourself to the everyday inherent risks of motorcycle riding.
It is called risk assessment. We all choose the level of risk we are comfortable with and are willing to take.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
UGGG!!! I just had a long response typed out, and a burst of pre-hurricane lightning killed my power! :rolleyes Let's try this again...

Here is my argument: What is the difference with talking on the phone while driving or talking to a passenger while driving? Does talking on the phone require more skill? Is it more distracting? I say no. I say talking to a passenger is MORE distracting because drivers often will take their eyes off the road to look at the passenger. (obviously, I'm talking cages here)
I believe that if someone really can not safely talk on the phone while driving, they probably shouldn't be driving at all. I mean, if one can't handle the distraction of a conversation, how do they handle all of the other distractions (radio, passengers, climate controls, nav. system, hot blonde jogging down the sidewalk, chewing gum, breathing, blinking, etc. etc.).

"What about that soccer mom in the SUV that almost ran me down because she was on the phone?!?" EXACTLY! She would have had another reason to almost run you down if it wasn't the phone. She'd have been putting on lipstick, eating a Big Mac, adjusting her boobs in the rear view mirror, plucking her chin hair with tweezers... yes, I've seen all those scenarios played out. Some people just don't have the ability, the attention span, or the concern for others to pilot any type of vehicle safely. Some people just SHOULDN'T drive... period. It's not the phone that's the problem. Take it away, and it will be something else.

If I had a good hands-free in-helmet system would I take a phone call while riding? If the conditions were such that I thought it was safe to do so, ABSOLUTELY. Obviously, I wouldn't do it while riding aggressively through twisties - or in a torrential downpour - or any other situation where 110% has to be given to the ride. But cruising down the road on the way to work? No doubt.

Disclaimer: This is in no way intended to be an insult to those who said they couldn't / wouldn't use a phone while driving or riding. It IS intended to be something to think about though...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts