Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you stop riding if a friend got into a back accident? A girl I know is afraid to get back on her bike after her ex was paralized from the shoulders down the other night. Even for me, it was a scary night and I don't even like the guy. Hopefully, I can convince her to keep riding though. The whole story is in the dating/marriage/sex life section if you want to take a look.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's a mind over matter thing for most people that are in situations like that, it doesn't necessarily happen to just sportbikers, but you get the point. Eventually, their nerves will cool and they'll start riding again or they'll just give it up for fear of it happening to them. It's all in the individual person really.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I see it, if you give up riding because you fear that same thing might happen to you, then how do you know you won't give up everything else you like to do. I mean, people can have life altering accidents doing anything from walking down the stairs to going to the grocery store. You just can't let fear rule your life.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I would not give it up since I could get hurt in a car or walking down the street. Life is full or risk and the way I see it life is not worth living if you are not having fun.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I admit I have considered giving up riding but not because I am afraid that I will do something stupid that will get me paralyzed or killed, but because I am afraid some cager is going to do it for me.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
bpmull said:
Would you stop riding if a friend got into a back accident? A girl I know is afraid to get back on her bike after her ex was paralized from the shoulders down the other night. Even for me, it was a scary night and I don't even like the guy. Hopefully, I can convince her to keep riding though. The whole story is in the dating/marriage/sex life section if you want to take a look.
Was the back injury related to a motorcycle accident?

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
no.. I wouldnt give it up.. That would be living your life in fear.. We are all gonna end up dead, its the ride along the way that gives you something to remember.
If I ever got hurt in an accident, I would be pissed if my friends gave up riding...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
the way i see things is, anybody can get hurt or killed even sitting at a picinic table eating a nice lunch, just the other day a lady died b/c she was at a picinic table and a tree just fell on her, and she ended up dying. as far as i am concerened the big man up stairs in complete control of your life. if i died tomorrow it was my time to pass, and if i get seriously injured, then the big man did it to teach me a lesson in life. bad things happen every day, and there is nothing we can do about it, so i would say just go ahead and get back on that bike and enjoy life

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If the guy got hurt on the bike then what she is feeling is perfectly normal. Maybe right now is not the right time for her to get back on. If her head isn't on straight I don't know that riding a bike is the best bet for her right now. Believe it or not this goes against what I believe, I'm from the school of if you get knock off you get right back on but then again it wasn't her who got knocked off. I just think if your head is not in to it, being on the bike might be the worst place to be.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If someone gets hurt bad in a car accident would they stop driving? No. I had two people I know die in bike accidents but I never thought twice about riding. I wont live in fear because of others misfortunes.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the guy crashed his Road King a couple houses away from where he lived. The whole time me and this girl were at his house and didn't even realize he was laying unconcious a couple hundred feet away. It could have been prevented as he was hauling ass in the dark. No matter how good you know the roads, you can obviously still crash.

I have no problem with her taking a break from riding. That's why I'm giving her this entire week before I confront her about it. The day after the accident, I asked her if she was gonna stop riding and she said no. A couple days later, I talked to her sister's fiance (they're all very close with each other) and he said that my friend was done riding. I'm dragging her out of the house Saturday whether she likes it or not.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I'd like to say no but I really can't how I'd react until I've been put into a similiar situation.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
A friend of mine, obviously older(32) yet still so young, looks like a mummy now. He was runnning from the cops at 140 and hit a pothole with a T-shirt and shorts. SKinned to the bone. I saw him in the hospital and well damn. I still continue to ride despite his carelessness.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Time usually heals all wounds. Hopefully she will soon realize that life itself is a risky proposition, but we must go on nonetheless.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
nope, I wouldn't give it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts