Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was moving stuff into my new apartment and i see this guy struggling to maneuver his croachster...Do you guys ever wish bikes had a reserve gear... I am tall and well-built and i never had problems maneuvering my croachster but i can see how it would be a pain in the but specially in places like L.A where you have neighborhoods built in ridiculously steep hills.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I know at least the Honda Goldwing has an electric reverse.

My reverse gear is gravity. I usually make sure to face uphill when parking. Though with a Ninja 250 it's never that big of a problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would say on a b***** bike, and for a little shorter people it would be nice to have. I am 5' 11" with my FZ6, before I got a lowered seat, it was a little difficult because of the weight of the bike. I think it would be a nice option on every non-SS bike that start getting in 400 lb+ range (wet). The smaller bikes I have owned I didn't have any issues with, the FZ6 is the first bike I have had a little trouble with.

For reference, I'm fit but only about 155, so not crazy strong. I think that a stronger or taller person would find reverse less necessary. Also I live in Florida (quite Flat) so I would imagine It would by worse in an area with more hills.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fairly easy... don't try to walk it backward while your on it.. step off and grab the passenger strap or foot peg and push it up hill/out of the space.

Just had took my new bike to the insurance place and parked in a steep spot. Looks goofy, and people watched, but it works fine.

Alot of folks get worried they will tip it over, so they sit on it and try to back out. You'll have to get used to the tip over angle sooner or later anyway, so may as well start now. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
With a little forethought is is pretty easy to avoid most situations where a reverse would be needed. The only bike I really had problems with was my Concours. It was big and wide enough that I couldn't flat foot the bike and it's weight made it difficult to move sometimes. But when that happened I just hopped off and moved it that way.

I don't have those problems with the zx14.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
With a little forethought is is pretty easy to avoid most situations where a reverse would be needed. The only bike I really had problems with was my Concours. It was big and wide enough that I couldn't flat foot the bike and it's weight made it difficult to move sometimes. But when that happened I just hopped off and moved it that way.

I don't have those problems with the zx14.
This. I'm constantly seeing people on group rides riding into horrible downhill parking positions, and then complaining about how the bike is too tall or too heavy or whatnot. It's almost always lack of foresight in a situation where almost any bike would be a problem.

Last time this happened to me was following a lead bike into a very tight downhill spot - because I assumed he was going to go up on the sidewalk for eight feet and drop back down, facing OUTWARD, in the three spaces conveniently available. No such luck. Instead he wanted to stop in the worst possible location, get off his bike, and stare blankly at the two of us behind him as we spent several minutes trying to back out uphill. Then we got to listen to a full lunch break listening to how our bikes (and ourselves) were big fat pigs.

Then of course, when it comes time to leave and we get to see how HE is going to handle the situation, the cars adjacent have both left and he just turns his wheel and goes. :hush

But in general this is a non-issue for me. Worst case you have to do the little tippy dance, bounciing the weight of the bike off your plant foot for traction as you back up a couple inches at a time.

KeS

·
Registered
45 Posts
No, that is why I always back into a space; it makes it easier to exit the parking space.
I've noticed that the only people who consistently do that are a bit OCD/anal (or valets), particularly in cages.
Does the extra few seconds it takes to back out of a spot (a bit faster in a car) really matter that much to you all? LOL

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I've noticed that the only people who consistently do that are a bit OCD/anal (or valets), particularly in cages.
Does the extra few seconds it takes to back out of a spot (a bit faster in a car) really matter that much to you all? LOL
I know I'm not in a hurry when I pull in. I don't know if I'll be in a hurry when I pull out.

KeS

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I lost count of how many times i've heard of people dropping their bikes just backing out of their driveway, specially driveways with inclinations

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought we were talking about croachsters.
Croachster is an idiomatic expression. croach-rocket with sportster...croachster....Nothing new

1 - 20 of 39 Posts