Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

New to this board, long time rider. I got a buddy that needs some dough. He has a 2000 ZX-12R with 3,000 miles (bike hasn't even been registered since 2001). It is pretty stock, just a fender eliminator kit, custom wind screen, etc ... not much else. He told me he would sell it to me for $5K.

Seems like ALOT of bike for the money, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds really damn cheap! You better make sure you have a little experience and don't let that right wrist get your @$$ in trouble...

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
For 5G's you better snag it. How much would back taxes be??? Or can you slide around that...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZXLNT said:
For 5G's you better snag it. How much would back taxes be??? Or can you slide around that...
That is a good question...hadn't thought about that. I'll check it out.

Also, he said he had to replace the rear tire already and it only had 3,000 miles on it. What's up with that?

I asked him and he said that he wasn't doing burnouts or anything like that. He said he wasn't sure why the tire got used up so quick, thought it might be spinning sometimes and he didn't realize it?!?! I know it was the stock rubber that came on the bike.

You guys got any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zang said:
Sounds really damn cheap! You better make sure you have a little experience and don't let that right wrist get your @$$ in trouble...
Yea, I hear on that. I weigh a whole 165 pounds so I am gonna be like a flea on the back of a Cheetah!

:lol

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
ronhix said:
Also, he said he had to replace the rear tire already and it only had 3,000 miles on it. What's up with that?
The millage is about right bikes with alot of torque burn tires very fast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any major issues with the first generation ZX-12R that I should be concerned about? I am pretty sure it is a 2000 model, that is first generation right?

By the way, thanks for all the insight. You guys rock!

·
Registered
197 Posts
There were a lot of "major issues" that they addressed in '02. The '00 is still one heck of a bike and the changes were mostly minor (over a 100 different changes though). They varied from handling to throttle smoothness & responsiveness. If you had a choice between both bikes for $5K I would choose the newer version. Still better is the '04 & '05. Bottom line is that $5K is a pretty much unheard of price for a bike in that apparent condition and you would be a fool not to jump on it! I would if I had another $5K. You won't loose any money on it - it's about as low as it will go IMO. It's also the only "unrestricted" version of the 12 made and has the 220 mph speedo (which it won't use) but it also doesn't shut off at 186 - if it gets there.

Basically, you won't find a better deal if this bike is like you said and only has 3000 miles on it. Get it if you want a good price before someone else does!

BTW - if you want more info, there is a BUNCH @ www.zx-12r.org .

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Not anything else out there as new as that for $5K unless it is a 600 cc bike. I agree, that you will lose little if no money on it over several years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Finally got a chance to ride my friend's 2000 ZX-12R on Saturday. Good news and bad...

Good news is that the bike is unbelievably fast. You guys obviously know this since you own one of these. But for me, it was definitely a pleasant surprise. I expected it to be strong, but not ridiculously strong. Oh my...all I can say is wow. It felt like it was trying to pull my arms off, no joke. On a lonely straight deserted country rode, I ran it through the gears and before I looked down at the speedo it was well over 150...it was still pulling...HARD! On the straights, the bike was just awesome...tons of power.

The curves however were a nightmare. At first, I wasn't sure what the problem was but the bike was VERY loose in the curves. I looked the bike over good before we got out and started riding and the tires looked like they had plenty of tread and everything looked solid on the bike. The tires had dust and spider webs on them from the bike not being ridden, so at first I thought maybe the tires were just kinda slick...so I gave them some time to heat up as we rode pretty aggresively down these country roads.

Some of the roads we ride have nice twisties that I ride all the time. I could not get comfortable on this bike at all in the corners. It just felt very loose and even wanted to wobble at times. I was baffled so I pulled over and asked him about it (he was following me on my 1995 Honda CB1000 while I rode his bike). He told me I was spinning the rear tire as I was going through the curves. WHAT?!?! I have done power slides before, and they felt much different than this loose feeling that I was currently experiencing.

We went out again and I intentionally lugged the bike in a higher gear to prevent any possibility on spinning the rear end. That's when I realized what it was...the front tire was kinda bouncing a little and then slipping...big time! I wasn't experienced on this bike and it took a little time for me to tune into what it was, especially since it wasn't noticeable until the bike was leaned over agressively.

I immediately stopped again and inspected the front wheel more closely. I realized that the front tire was "ridged up" slightly along each tread pattern. The bike had the stock front tire (Dunlop) on it with 3000 miles on it and the tire looked fine! But, when I rubbed my hand from the bottom of the tire up toward the top I could definitely feel the ridges all along the front tire. I can only guess this is cause by a combination of the soft compound of the tire, the weight of the bike and the very strong brakes on the big Ninja.

There is a lesson here! The tire looked fine, but wasn't...inspect the tires, rub them...don't just look at them. Since the owner was selling the bike, he just bought a rear tire but didn't replace the front...BIG MISTAKE!

He agreed to replace the front tire and I plan to ride this bike again soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
ANOTHER THING: When you replace the rear tire with a 180 or 190 the handling jumps light-years! The 200 looks cool but SUCKS in cornering. To be honest, the bike is almost "flickable" like the smaller bikes when the smaller tires are on it! It is "A life changing event" to ride it with the smaller tire. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zang said:
ANOTHER THING: When you replace the rear tire with a 180 or 190 the handling jumps light-years! The 200 looks cool but SUCKS in cornering. To be honest, the bike is almost "flickable" like the smaller bikes when the smaller tires are on it! It is "A life changing event" to ride it with the smaller tire. :)
What brand tires and what sizes are you running Zang? Are you doing any track days or just terrorizing innocent citizens on America's streets and byways? :lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
To answer the original question: yes.

I'm on my 2nd, 2000 ZX-12R.

$5k is a great price for a '00 with that mileage. Like what's already been stated, '00s are unrestricted. It'll use up every bit of that 220mph speedometer... but that don't mean you're actually going that fast :)

Get rid of the Dunslops. I've been using Metzler M1s. Went from the stock 200 to a 190, had a M1 and two Pirelli Diablos, then I went to a 180 M1 and haven't looked back.

12s are outstanding motorcycles. The only known weakness I know of is the clutch basket, and it'll eat clutches if you abuse it. Only a concern if you're drag racing it alot. Other than that, the engines are dead reliable. I know of several with 20k, 30k and even 40k miles. I know one that was ridden off a cliff at Deal's Gap, and is still running to this day... matter of fact it put down 184rwhp, lol.

The same upgrades you can do to any bike help the 12 alot. Upgraded brake lines and rotors, and lightweight wheels make a world of difference in the handling dept. Personally, I have some Magnesium Marchesinis, Steel braided Galfer brake lines and Galfer wave rotors. Huge difference.

...of course you can add the pipe/pc/filter, and re-gear it. -1 on the front makes a difference. Stock gearing is tall.

Go for it, especially if it's the faster '00 candy lime green :D

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Those tires were probably dry rotted, add torque and slippyville. For the price, hop on it!
At 3k you should change all the fluids to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know it is an old thread but what the heck.

00 12R's are great. I picked up one recently and love it. I only put about 250 miles so far but man you can't beat it for constant power thru the RPMs and the weight is great for me, as i do alot of highway riding. Hell this is a great excuse to show my bike

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, I think you should jump on it. One of my friends has the 2000 model and it is very fast. I think will be happy with it and the power it has. Just learn the bike and ride smart.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Glad I found this thread. My buddy called me about a 2000 ZX12R he's looking at. The guy is asking $5600, Green, 16000 miles, new tires (not sure what size or brand), don't know about any other mods. The seller got it in March of this year after moving up from a 900. The seller wants to go back to a 900. Not sure if this would be a good deal or not. Isn't the valve service due pretty soon? Any comments will be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts