Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 02 R6 with 17k miles & a 1994 intruder with 6k miles, both excellent condition (r6 could use a new rear tire). I have wanted a newer sportbike for awhile, and my local dealership has a 2007 cbr 600 with 2900 miles, looks all stock, bright orange. They replaced the plastics they said after light rash. I would not have known, had they not told me, no biggie looks new.
Cannot be told from new. They want 5k. They are fixing a tire on my intruder, when I thought of the idea. So they have the intruder, and then I rode my R6 down for them to look at. They said they are interested and they will call me. I like the Honda and they would probably make out better and I would have something newer without the hassle of selling anything, what do you guys think. Would you do it? Here is pic of my 2 and you know what an 07 cbr 600 looks like.
Thanks

Attachments

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Do you like and use the cruiser? Will you miss having the option between the two bikes for different riding purposes?

If it was me, and I wasn't using the cruiser much, then yes, I'd do it. If the cruiser serves a different useful purpose than the sportbike, though, I'd stick with the two bikes.

PhilB

·
Registered
700 Posts
Your bike +5k? that seems like a lot but I don't know.
If it were me, I would go to cycletrader and look up how much people are selling Intruders for and how much people are selling 07 cbr600rr in your area/state and if you think it's a fair trade, then ask if you can have a third party mechanic look it over because you never know with dealerships.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Someone always loses on a trade. If you're trading with a dealership, they aren't going to be on the losing end.

That only leaves you.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Your bike +5k? that seems like a lot but I don't know.
If it were me, I would go to cycletrader and look up how much people are selling Intruders for and how much people are selling 07 cbr600rr in your area/state and if you think it's a fair trade, then ask if you can have a third party mechanic look it over because you never know with dealerships.
I think what he means is that they want 5K without a trade-in, and he's thinking if he trades both bikes, he might not have to pay anything, or only a small amount.

Someone always loses on a trade. If you're trading with a dealership, they aren't going to be on the losing end.

That only leaves you.
No, someone doesn't always lose on a trade. If each party wants what the other has more than what he has, then the trade is mutually beneficial. Indeed, ANY business transaction should be mutually beneficial, and most of them are.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
No, someone doesn't always lose on a trade. If each party wants what the other has more than what he has, then the trade is mutually beneficial. Indeed, ANY business transaction should be mutually beneficial, and most of them are.

PhilB
I don't count feelings in the equation. Very rarely, like practically never, do trades work out evenly all around financially.

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am a sportbike guy, I took the crusier on trade (long story). I have been saving for newer sportbike, but $$ keeps going other places. I thought this might be a good way to do it. The dealership will make out ( I have clean title on both, (r6 has salvage title) but never frame damage or anything like that & is completely mechanically sound, with no more then a couple of small paints chips here and there. The Suzuki is a 800 and is like new.
And I will have a practically new sportbike for the Summer. I actually think that 5k is a great price on a 07 cbr 600 with 2900 miles.

Yes, Phil you are right , I m looking to trade both of mine for the newer cbr.

I copied a pic from their ad of the Honda,
of course 1st thing I would do is get an undertail kit and a pipe lol. Probably get a custom paint job to, but maybe not until Winter. Oh & frame sliders a must for me.

Attachments

·
Are we not men?
9,005 Posts
Do they know the R6 has a salvage title? They probably won't want it.

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Do they know the R6 has a salvage title? They probably won't want it.
Yes of course they know, they looked it over hard,( bike speaks for itself, completely straight and runs perfect) and said they were interested, so, I guess well see. Their is some particular interest as well because as it turns out the Intruder was bought new from them.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I don't think you are gaining much by going from an 02 R6 to an 07 RR the honda had very few to no upgrades since its initial release it usually takes manufactures a minimum of three generations to have a significant impact on how the bike performs IMO anyway.

Have you ever ridden a CBR600RR? as a road bike they are a fairly horrible thing although again this is IMO. You want to get and an then pour a heap of money into it again not sure about that one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Personally I wouldn't do it. You have 2 bikes which are totally different riding styles which provides you with options. You could convert the R6 to a dedicated track bike and avoid the hassle of changing it back to street when you want to just take a lazy ride. Or even just weekend twisty duty with it and using the cruiser for daily commute / cruising.

So long as both bikes are mechanically sound and haven't turned into money pits, you've got more value in what you have in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think they're going to lowball you on the R6. It's really up to you. As someone said, going from an R6 to a CBR is meh. If there's nothing wrong with the R6, you're essentially giving away one of your bikes, plus money, for something similar. You won't gain a whole lot except something newer. If it's what you want, go for it!

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
None of this discussion is worth a shit until you know how much they will give you for the bikes. If they'll do a straight trade and you want their bike, then great. However somehow I highly doubt they will do that, especially with a salvage title bike. Doesn't matter if it "speaks for itself" the title speaks loud and clear to any potential buyer that the value is a LOT lower than an equally nice non-salvage bike.

We can all talk back and forth all we want, but until there are some real numbers we cant know if it's a good deal or not.

·
Human After All
4,676 Posts
"2007 cbr 600 with 2900 miles" so ~400 miles a year.

Have you taken a look at my brake rotor thread about what a barely used motorcycle has happen to it over time or...?

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I'd stick with the R6, its a known bike. Odin only knows what you'll have to do to a garage queen CBR. Yeah, the newer bike will likely be a bit faster, but only a bit. Just not worth trading a whole 'nother motorcycle. If you're that tired of having a cruiser sell it and pocket the money. Better yet, use the money to further trick out the older bike, then it will be considerably faster than the new one.

I actually like the lines of the older sport bike better. Never liked the undertail exhaust of the CBR's, always looked like an afterthought to me.

·
5,454 Posts
$5k seems a little steep for the 600RR.
i paid $4,500 for a 2008 600RR (in 2012) with 7k miles on it. clean title, Akra slipon, near perfect plastics. i sold it last summer with around 12k miles i'm guessing for $5,500.

are those at least OEM plastics? i hate when people advertise "brand new fairings!!!" and they're chinese ebay crap. i'd rather have scuffed up OEM stuff that fits right.

if you're planning on a custom paint job, it might not mean as much to you, but not looking factory with that all orange look definitely hurts the value.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts