Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
IF the forks and frame are straight, it'd be a great track bike.

Or, buy it and part it out. The rims alone cost 3 grand.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Uhm, nope. There is no single piece of the bodywork without damage, that will be expensive to put right. Then there is the scratched swingarm, broken levers and what not. Engine already needs new belts. Title will be branded for life...

Nope. It's a good parts bike, but not at that price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
At the end of the day, its an 1198. I am not a fan of Ducatis but, I must admit, they maintain their retail value very well.

Id say this is a fair price because if you put a new set of fairings on this bike (2K?) and all the other miscellaneous things it probably would be listed for 10-11K.

So, 5K is a relatively small amount to own a Ducati. (I can't believe i'm typing this)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Meh, you can buy a mint 999 here for under $7k.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It depends on what/why you want it.

Track bitch? Certainly a good choice.

Put back into proper street regalia? No.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
What about the damage you can't see. It's there, it always is. Do you have the wrench skills to get it right? Do you own a gold mine to pay for parts?

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Generally wrecked bikes are money pits. Once you really get them right, you could have bought one that isn't smashed and not have to deal with the rebuildable title nonsense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Meh, you can buy a mint 999 here for under $7k.
Whats a CBR1K/R1/GSXR1K/ZX-10 of that vintage worth now? $4000 maybe? So the story is still the same. The Ducati has maintained its value better.

Although, in this case I too fall on the side of "i'd never buy a wrecked bike".

BUT, I am always impressed with how much of a beating bikes can take and still be more or less serviceable. I thought of them as porcelain dolls when I first started riding. They aren't tanks, but I've seen some bikes take some impressive crashes and still be "straight" (Again, not saying this bike in particular. Just in general)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if i bought this bike it would be to commute and weekend joy ride with. I'd probably throw some Chinese fairings on it and get some used headlights gauges etc on ebay.

Would the title be such an issue if I didn't plan on re-selling later? When you guys say you wouldn't buy a wrecked bike are you suggesting that it's dangerous or that it's a money pit? I thought safety wise it would be easy to spot major concerns but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Problem is that you'll spend a lot of money fixing it up, even using used parts. After all is said and done, you could have had a clean titled 1198 with a few more miles. When it comes the time to sell it, many people will not even consider it due to the branded title, and you'll never recover your money.

·
Registered
517 Posts
if i bought this bike it would be to commute and weekend joy ride with. I'd probably throw some Chinese fairings on it and get some used headlights gauges etc on ebay.

Would the title be such an issue if I didn't plan on re-selling later? When you guys say you wouldn't buy a wrecked bike are you suggesting that it's dangerous or that it's a money pit? I thought safety wise it would be easy to spot major concerns but maybe I'm wrong.
What about insurance? Do you need full coverage? Can you get it on a salvage title?

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
In the 3rd pic, the front fork (left side) looks bent, might be a hallucination, with gold and black.

You can see better in pic 7.

2nd row of pics, next to last one (looking behind the bike), either the sub frame is bent, or the swingarm. But the tire doesn't line up.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
In the 3rd pic, the front fork (left side) looks bent, might be a hallucination, with gold and black.

You can see better in pic 7.

2nd row of pics, next to last one (looking behind the bike), either the sub frame is bent, or the swingarm. But the tire doesn't line up.
The other fork leg looks like that too...bent forward, which would be strange.

I think both the swingarm and the subframe are bent. The subframe lines up with the tank but looks twisted (plastics?). I agree that the tire looks way out of line with the rest. Without looking at the pics, I was wondering if it was just because of the angle with the bike on the sidestand but they have it blocked so the bike is nearly upright.

Maybe it's just the light but the rear rim looks scuffed by the bead.

Parts bike.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
No. I also think it makes for a terrible track day bike. The next time you crash this thing you may end up with even more expensive damage. The point of a track bike (for those of us who are not filthy rich that is) is to buy something cheap to maintain and fix due to the likelihood of the bike getting crashed on semi-regular basis. A broken expensive bike makes for a shitty track bike IMO.

Granted there's no serious damage (frame, forks, engine, swingarm, etc - and I mean bent/broken stuff as opposed to scratches) it would make for a good street bike project IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts