Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a good deal on a very low millage mint condition civic. Its an 04 with 41k miles. The original owner was an older guy who got very sick and just had an aid do everything for him and the car sat for 6 years.

Owner 2 buys the car about 5 months ago, says he drained the gas, changed the fuel and air filters, spark plugs, oil, one other thing i cant remember. He has put 2k miles on it since then and says it runs perfectly fine.

I still am going to have a mechanic look at it, but wondering what your take is on buying a vehicle that sat for so long?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
lot depends on where it sat, and how much care was given to storing it and getting it going again.

if before it was put in storage they prepared it, then it sat in storage for 6 years, and when it came out they replaced/inspected all the rubber(belts, c.v. joints, brake lines) and fluids(brake, power steering, transmission, engine oil/coolant). the car should be ok, just have a mechanic give it a through inspection before you buy.

if the car wasn't prepared, sat out in a field, and they restarted it by "throw this battery in there and crank until she comes back to us". Run, run like hell. Run especially far if there is any sign of rodents living in the car, and your area has Hantaviruse.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
garage is good.
i have never been within a thousand miles of queens, so i have no clue if that is good or bad.

if there was no storage prep work done, it all depends on how much work went into getting the car going again.

at least take the car to a mechanic and tell him you want to buy the most expensive/intensive inspection he offers.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Eh, I would consider it if the price were right, but I would not pay a premium or consider it equal to any other low mileage car that’s had continuous use. I would change belts and tires too. Otherwise just go over the car closely, look for hidden rodent damage etc.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Willing to sell for 5k, tires already replaced. A civic with 40k in clean condition normally sells for about 10k here.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Get it inspected by good wrench first.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Mehh...go for something that was in regular use.

My Corvette sat in a garage for 3 years when I was overseas and though it still ran great, the input seal on the transmission leaked. Hella of a lot of work for a couple dollar seal. FWD is worse.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Just get it inspected by a professional. There are too many variables at play for any of us to form an educated opinion.

·
Registered
848 Posts
wouldn't bother me, but i also do my own work. i would worry more with a vehicle that has low mileage.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Sitting around plays hell with vehicles, seals dry out, leaks develop, condensation forms and doesn't go away. Drive it for about 20 minutes, then look for leaks, seepage, anything not right. Get it checked, like you are saying.

Was Queens affected by Sandy?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Car will get inspected, but the question is, can the mechanic really know if it won't have any major problems from the inspection? Or is there still a risk of something major if he doesn't find anything wrong?

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Some areas definitely were. My Mazda came out if queens... actually delayed me picking out up because I couldn't get into the city . It was fine... completely unaffected.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Car will get inspected, but the question is, can the mechanic really know if it won't have any major problems from the inspection? Or is there still a risk of something major if he doesn't find anything wrong?
The biggest things to me would be leaks, water in crankcase/trans, electrical damage and mold.

If you know Sandy didn't get to it, you run it and don't find any leaks, and it doesn't smell, it is probably fine.

You take a risk with any used car, just like used bikes.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Here's a thought, as scandalous as it may be. If you're getting it for 5k, and they usually sell for 10k, then get it inspected and buy it if everything checks out "decent" There still might be hidden issues, but hell, why not. Then turn around and sell it for 8k without mentioning it sat for 6 years and buy yourself something that didn't sit that long with that extra 3k you just made.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Here's a thought, as scandalous as it may be. If you're getting it for 5k, and they usually sell for 10k, then get it inspected and buy it if everything checks out "decent" There still might be hidden issues, but hell, why not. Then turn around and sell it for 8k without mentioning it sat for 6 years and buy yourself something that didn't sit that long with that extra 3k you just made.
Don't you have any ethics and/or morals?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts