Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been looking to sell my R6 and get a b***** bike. I've put over 12,000 miles on the 6 in the year and a half that I've had it. I have ridden numerous other bikes, other 600's, my roommates TLR1000, and a handful of different liter bikes (R1, gix1k, ducati 996). I want to get a b***** bike, that's all there is to it. Yes I know I'll give up some in the handling department, but I can only have one bike, and I will deal with the loss :)

Anyway, while looking around at the new and used liter bikes out there, I also started eyeballing the 04 gixxer 750 that's at a couple of the dealers. I've never ridden a 750, how does it compare power wise to a 600 or liter bike? I can wheelie the snot out of my R6, but I'd like to be able to do power-up sit-down wheelies in more than just 1st gear (i.e. my current bike). Can anyone who went from a 600 to a 750 chime in here? Or should I just get a used liter bike and be done with it? I mean from what I hear and read the 04 750 is a really great bike, but will I be happy with it when I really want 1000cc's under me? :twofinger

thanks y'all
Drew
'03 R6 <--- been around the block a few times!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
The power of the 750 is (wild speculation) probably somewhere in between the 600 and 1000 class.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i've heard nothing but great things about the 04 gsxr 750.. they say its very very close to the 600 in handling, and great power. not 1000 power, but great power.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It would be a good bike if you wanted the next step up. Actually you would like it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a cheaper solution to you wheelie problem......and it doesn't involve a liter bike(or any other bike for that matter)........change the gearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never ridden the 750, however I have been told that the power is closer to the 1000 then the 600, it's not dead in the middle as you would think. I'm actually considering this as my next bike when I'm through with my 600rr. Like you, I want a bit more power, but I don't think I want to go to a litre bike. Not that I don't trust myself, but I don't want to insure a litre bike$$$$$

J

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I have ridden the 04 750. I was expecting more. I couldn't tell that much difference between that and my bike. I say go for the 1000 all the way. I wanted the 750 until I rode it. You have to remember the 750 is not really a between bike. It's closer to a 600 than to a 1000. I rode my buddies R1 and that had me sold. Much more fun not having to shift all the time and the 6th gear power on the highway was incredible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nevrsumr22 said:
I have ridden the 04 750. I was expecting more. I couldn't tell that much difference between that and my bike. I say go for the 1000 all the way. I wanted the 750 until I rode it. You have to remember the 750 is not really a between bike. It's closer to a 600 than to a 1000. I rode my buddies R1 and that had me sold. Much more fun not having to shift all the time and the 6th gear power on the highway was incredible.
See now this is what I was afraid of, since they don't really let you test-ride bikes, I'd be afraid I'd be expecting more, like you. I mean it's only 150 more cc's than my 600, and still 250 away from 1000...

Dang, if only I could convince a dealer to let me take a 750 out for a spin...

Thanks for the replies y'all, I haven't ruled it out just yet!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
taziscool said:
I have a cheaper solution to you wheelie problem......and it doesn't involve a liter bike(or any other bike for that matter)........change the gearing.

I've definitely considered this, but to be truthful, I really want a different bike altogether... Don't get me wrong, I love my 6, but you know what they say, "variety is the spice of life"! Just like girls, I'm never happy with one for very long.... ;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
all i have heard about the 750 is great things. it is supposed to be the perfect sportbike, however, i sat on one at the dealership and the seating position and comfort is absolutely AWFUL!! I feel like I am curled up into a little ball on top of the bike.

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
StretchNutz said:
See now this is what I was afraid of, since they don't really let you test-ride bikes, I'd be afraid I'd be expecting more, like you. I mean it's only 150 more cc's than my 600, and still 250 away from 1000...

All the dealers around here let people test ride bikes. Maybe you should look somewhere else. Side note-- You listen to ICP? My friends call me stretch nuts.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
StretchNutz said:
I mean it's only 150 more cc's than my 600, and still 250 away from 1000...
Those 150cc's equate to about almost 30 more HP...The R6(stock) is just over 100hp...The 750 is right between 125-130hp...Quite a jump...

Read any bike mag, and they have nothing but positive things to say about the 750...Most call it the "perfect sportbike"...Good luck with your choice, either way...

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
StretchNutz said:

Thanks for the replies y'all, I haven't ruled it out just yet!
I'll even tell you one more thing since it looks like you may stunt a little. I can do sit down wheelies pretty good on my 600. Probably about a quarter mile if I get it up high quick. My friend has both the 04 750 and the 04 R1 and we took those out for about 4 hours a week ago trading back and forth. I never rode a 750 or 1000 before. I got on the 750 and popped one and it was just about the same feeling as the 600, came up with power easy in first, couldn't get it in second. Got on the R1 and holy shit! That thing is a monster. It felt like someone was lifting the front end with a finger. That thing lifted like a feather and I could go forever. It doesn't shift out of first until about 100 mph so you could go forever in first if you wanted. Second powered right up as well. All I can say is I fell in love with that thing. Not that bike just the power.

Talk to my friend who has both. He will tell you better -

R1OneWheel

he doesn't post much here, mostly on the R1 forum but if you PM him he will get it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I personally haven't ridden an 04 750. I have ridden my roommates 04 R1. It's pretty nasty. But I think the 750 is a great in between bike. The have almost exactly the same peak hp as an 00 R1 at about 2K more rpm. That's pretty impressive. It doesn't have the torque, but that's always going to be more of a displacement issue. It all comes down to what you want. Nobody NEEDS a liter bike, but that holds true for a lot of other things in life also. Get what you want, be careful, and call me if you crash it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:

R1OneWheel

he doesn't post much here, mostly on the R1 forum but if you PM him he will get it.
Somebody call for me? :lol

First off, I can assure you, if you get the 04' 750, you will love it. The reason nevrsumr22 wasn't impressed with the power was because I made him keep it under 7,000 rpms cause the thing wasn't even broken in yet. Like most in line 4's, the power hits more on the high end. I've played with it and the 750 has all the power you need. 130 rwhp on my 04' 750 vs 155 rwhp on my 04' R1. The difference is, the R1 pulls raw. The 750's power creaps up on you. Both bikes are very user friendly, especially the R1, considering how much of a punch it packs. The 750 handles much better, has a shorter wheel base, etc. 1st gear power wheelies are actually easier to pull up on the 750 IMO. The R1, I have to be going at least 40mph to get em up cause the power doesn't kick in until 7-8,000 + rpms. 2nd gear power wheelies, you have to be going 85-90 on the R1 for them to come right up. You can carry them for days though, unlike the 750, which redlines to quick.

A guy I rode with Sunday that also just bought a new 750 gixxer (who just stepped up from a 600 gixxer) said he had to keep the rpms at 12,000+ on his 600 to keep up with the litre bikes on rides. On the new 750, you can keep em right around 7,000+ and have no problems.

Now if you are just looking for shear power and feel the need for insane pulling and torque, go for the litre bike. Insurance isn't all that bad if you shop around. I have my R1 insured with State Farm now for $275/year! (State Farm rocks!)

I love both bikes and I don't think you can make a wrong decision here. PM me if you have any questions.

Here's my 750, before the mods....

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
f4igrad said:
all i have heard about the 750 is great things. it is supposed to be the perfect sportbike, however, i sat on one at the dealership and the seating position and comfort is absolutely AWFUL!! I feel like I am curled up into a little ball on top of the bike.
That's because you're used to your F4I!!! That thing is like a friggin couch! Nothing is gonna come close to the ergonomics on that bike as far as comfortability. The 04' GSXR 750 is very comfortable, I can assure you. Much more comfortable than last year's gixxers with that wide gas tank. The new one is much narrower, the seat is cushy, and it's a short reach to the bars. The gas tank is low (plenty room to stretch out and rest on) and doesn't come right up on your nuts. The pegs are a little high....17" from the seat, but I don't mind that at all. I thought I would, being 6'2", but I don't at all. My R1 isn't anywhere near as comfortable as the 750.

Again, you can't go wrong with this bike.

·
Registered
531 Posts
From my understanding the 750 has almost as much HP as a 954rr.

·
Registered
117 Posts
blueyedevil said:
From my understanding the 750 has almost as much HP as a 954rr.

That may be, but you have to take into account the tq. curves and appropriate powerbands alloted to each bike. They also have different gearing/rev ranges/throttle response/and weight. They would still be very differnet bikes in many different ways... peak output isnt the only factor when comparing the performance (powerwise) of different bikes.

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
I'll even tell you one more thing since it looks like you may stunt a little. I can do sit down wheelies pretty good on my 600. Probably about a quarter mile if I get it up high quick. My friend has both the 04 750 and the 04 R1 and we took those out for about 4 hours a week ago trading back and forth. I never rode a 750 or 1000 before. I got on the 750 and popped one and it was just about the same feeling as the 600, came up with power easy in first, couldn't get it in second. Got on the R1 and holy shit! That thing is a monster. It felt like someone was lifting the front end with a finger. That thing lifted like a feather and I could go forever. It doesn't shift out of first until about 100 mph so you could go forever in first if you wanted. Second powered right up as well. All I can say is I fell in love with that thing. Not that bike just the power.

R1OneWheel

:3eek i haven't ridden the R1, but if it doesn't shift out of first until 100 that's a monster!! but i still wouldnt trade my 600 for nothing, i love that thing!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts