Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just putting some feelers out to see if anyone would actually attend something like this to race, watch, whatever..

A while back a magazine wanted to put on the "SEARCH FOR AMERICA'S FASTEST STREETBIKE EVENT!" Here: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/474273-search-americas-fastest-streetbike.html

If the rules were changed to be more of a true STREETBIKE would people be interested?

For instance:

1) The registered owner would have to be the rider?

2) The bike has to run the same setup (length/gearing) on the drag strip, that it does on the Top Speed/1-Mile/Roadcourse?

3) Change the events, maybe add a 50-150 or 60-130 times or roll race event? Also braking 30-0/60-0?

4) 30-minute street ride or longer?

Currently just putting out some feelers to see if it would be worth the effort to get something like this going. The cars have a bunch of events, curious if motorcycle guys/gals would also be interested...

Thanks for any feedback... :cheers

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Doesn't matter how interested I am.
the likelihood of me driving all the way down there to participate is pretty low.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Anyone interested at all?

What about 600, 750, 1000, etc.. classes?
In another country so my interest or lack there of is irrelevant but the events you listed are all straight line hero stuff. Most of us myself included if we go to a track it will be a road racing track with corners most sport bike riders its all about the corners. Most talentless knobs can nail it in a straight line and hang on (yes there is a bit more to it). Basically I wouldn't cross the road to watch drag racing.

If it goes further you need to work out the difference between sponsorship and private, does a guy who runs his own tuning shop become a sponsored competitor by default? What about someone that might get a discount on certain products?

On the flip side what is going to stop an well funded sort of person building an I win bike without sponsorship?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meh. There are plenty of trackdays and club races all over the country to see what you can do. 99% of the time it's more about the rider than the bike anyways. Put most of us on a motogp bike and we'd crash on the first lap.
This is the point, to see who can actually RIDE in a STREET based event. Launching, braking, turning, etc..like you would on the street...

In another country so my interest or lack there of is irrelevant but the events you listed are all straight line hero stuff. Most of us myself included if we go to a track it will be a road racing track with corners most sport bike riders its all about the corners. Most talentless knobs can nail it in a straight line and hang on (yes there is a bit more to it). Basically I wouldn't cross the road to watch drag racing.

If it goes further you need to work out the difference between sponsorship and private, does a guy who runs his own tuning shop become a sponsored competitor by default? What about someone that might get a discount on certain products?

On the flip side what is going to stop an well funded sort of person building an I win bike without sponsorship?
Last I checked, road racing starts from a stop....followed by a drag race down the main straight and braking into the first corner. Those categories are a given 0-150-0, etc..

Who cares about sponsored riders, this is a private event? This is about registered owners competing and seeing/proving what they can do against others on a bike they own, not a hired jockey. Besides, just because they are sponsored or own a shop or have the most expensive bike doesn't mean they know how to ride it...

Depending how things unfold, a stock bike and decent rider could very well win the event or class they are competing!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Trackday type events? Sure.

This? Meh.....

Not a dragster kind'a guy. Maybe the Harley crowd would appreciate this?

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Not even sure what this is. Drag strip stuff?

Club racing: CMRA, WERA, etc. We all have sponsors (or at least, should if you're smart and trying). I'm nowhere near the fastest when I grid up, but I still have sponsors anyways. This is far from a unique idea.

Here is how club racing works:

Top 4 or 5 experts have sponsored rides. Down here I can name 4 CMRA guys who have bike sponsors that just pay for everything. This means the rest of the expert field, and the entire novice field are all on their own supplied bikes. Sure, we have some non-stock stuff, but that's more for safety (i.e. suspension and better performing brakes). I know of one guy who does AMA and moving up to DSB next year who doesn't have a bike sponsor and does it all out of his own pocket for the most part.

This exists. It isn't unique.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Make the street riding portion significantly longer....You are in Texas, make it the Twisted Sisters route.

If this is to be something along the lines of street legal bikes ridden by street riders then gear it that way. A 250 nice twisty street ride.

Have check points, penalized time for being too early (as in running way too fast, since you would have liability issues to contend with and release waivers and insurance coverage should someone get hurt or die and decide to sue you etc....

ie... A 100 mile leg, say anyone arriving in less than 90 minutes gets a 30 minute penalty time added etc...

MAke much of the technical stuff, parking lot drills---how slow can one balance and prgress forward 100', longest elapsed time without touching the ground with anything but the tires wins
Circles, tighter and tighter
accelerate to 40, stop for 1 second, accelerate across finish line without touchdown- fastest time wins
slalom course etc...

things a bit more "safe" and yet still show some skills

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trackday type events? Sure.

This? Meh.....

Not a dragster kind'a guy. Maybe the Harley crowd would appreciate this?
This isn't going to be an event with coleslaw wrestling to see if your girlfriend can down a mustard dog while you ride under a limbo stick... :neener

Not even sure what this is. Drag strip stuff?

Club racing: CMRA, WERA, etc. We all have sponsors (or at least, should if you're smart and trying). I'm nowhere near the fastest when I grid up, but I still have sponsors anyways. This is far from a unique idea.

Here is how club racing works:

Top 4 or 5 experts have sponsored rides. Down here I can name 4 CMRA guys who have bike sponsors that just pay for everything. This means the rest of the expert field, and the entire novice field are all on their own supplied bikes. Sure, we have some non-stock stuff, but that's more for safety (i.e. suspension and better performing brakes). I know of one guy who does AMA and moving up to DSB next year who doesn't have a bike sponsor and does it all out of his own pocket for the most part.

This exists. It isn't unique.
This is not a racebike event with sponsored riders. This is a streetbike event with street legal motorcycles and not race plastics.

Make the street riding portion significantly longer....You are in Texas, make it the Twisted Sisters route.

If this is to be something along the lines of street legal bikes ridden by street riders then gear it that way. A 250 nice twisty street ride.

Have check points, penalized time for being too early (as in running way too fast, since you would have liability issues to contend with and release waivers and insurance coverage should someone get hurt or die and decide to sue you etc....

ie... A 100 mile leg, say anyone arriving in less than 90 minutes gets a 30 minute penalty time added etc...

MAke much of the technical stuff, parking lot drills---how slow can one balance and prgress forward 100', longest elapsed time without touching the ground with anything but the tires wins
Circles, tighter and tighter
accelerate to 40, stop for 1 second, accelerate across finish line without touchdown- fastest time wins
slalom course etc...

things a bit more "safe" and yet still show some skills
This is more along the lines what I'm looking for but with some high speed categories also. Trying to taylor it more towards the average street rider to get people invovled/interested. We've already got enough track events that people are affraid to even do...it would be more auto-x style and keeping it in the box, MSF style, etc. for the real slow speed stuff.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
This is not a racebike event with sponsored riders. This is a streetbike event with street legal motorcycles and not race plastics.
Quite literally the only difference between some streetbikes and race bikes are just the plastics.

Here's the biggest issues I see with this:

Unfair for all riders. If you limit it to fully stock, the people with a build designed for the stock suspension will have the greatest advantage. Additionally, you will probably have untrained individuals trying to go balls to the walls fast on public roads. Someone suggested the sisters, a very fun route, but as someone with 2 friends who have passed there who were beginner level track day riders trying to ride like it is a track on those roads it cost them their lives. Riding like it is the track, should be kept on the track.

:Edit for clarity
You seem upset about people being sponsored. Very few people are highly sponsored. Most are just sponsored in two ways:
a) Free stuff/discounted stuff. Some of my sponsors get me stuff at cost. They make no money off of me, but also lose none. I get things cheaper and then they get essentially free advertising.
b) Contingency: if you place in the top X numbers in an event, you get money for that.

Otherwise, very few have 100% free sponsors. You would be extremely hard pressed to show up to a trackday here in Texas and find someone who is. I'm not even sure if Ty Howard does. I know the few AMA guys from here do, but also know of a few AMA guys who don't and spend a lot of money out of their own pocket.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Just putting some feelers out to see if anyone would actually attend something like this to race, watch, whatever..

A while back a magazine wanted to put on the "SEARCH FOR AMERICA'S FASTEST STREETBIKE EVENT!" Here: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/474273-search-americas-fastest-streetbike.html

If the rules were changed to be more of a true STREETBIKE would people be interested?

For instance:

1) The registered owner would have to be the rider?

2) The bike has to run the same setup (length/gearing) on the drag strip, that it does on the Top Speed/1-Mile/Roadcourse?

3) Change the events, maybe add a 50-150 or 60-130 times or roll race event? Also braking 30-0/60-0?

4) 30-minute street ride or longer?

Currently just putting out some feelers to see if it would be worth the effort to get something like this going. The cars have a bunch of events, curious if motorcycle guys/gals would also be interested...

Thanks for any feedback... :cheers
No interest in this at all...

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
This is the point, to see who can actually RIDE in a STREET based event. Launching, braking, turning, etc..like you would on the street...
Sorry but my idea of the best street rider is the one who is the safest and survives the most miles. Being king of the stoplight drag race only gets you dead. If you wanna do a race, that's cool, go to a track and race. If you wanna see who is the best street rider all you gotta do is look at the odometer and check a pulse. The streets are about survival, not competition. Being smooth, predictable and making yourself visable are far more important than grabbing a hand full of throttle, slamming on the brakes, and throwing the bike into a corner where there may be pedestrians, dogs, oil, etc.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Sorry but my idea of the best street rider is the one who is the safest and survives the most miles. Being king of the stoplight drag race only gets you dead. If you wanna do a race, that's cool, go to a track and race. If you wanna see who is the best street rider all you gotta do is look at the odometer and check a pulse. The streets are about survival, not competition. Being smooth, predictable and making yourself visable are far more important than grabbing a hand full of throttle, slamming on the brakes, and throwing the bike into a corner where there may be pedestrians, dogs, oil, etc.
This. And even then the level of smoothness required to ride safely on the street is, in my opinion, laughable compared to the level required to go fast on a track.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quite literally the only difference between some streetbikes and race bikes are just the plastics.

Here's the biggest issues I see with this:

Unfair for all riders. If you limit it to fully stock, the people with a build designed for the stock suspension will have the greatest advantage. Additionally, you will probably have untrained individuals trying to go balls to the walls fast on public roads. Someone suggested the sisters, a very fun route, but as someone with 2 friends who have passed there who were beginner level track day riders trying to ride like it is a track on those roads it cost them their lives. Riding like it is the track, should be kept on the track.

:Edit for clarity
You seem upset about people being sponsored. Very few people are highly sponsored. Most are just sponsored in two ways:
a) Free stuff/discounted stuff. Some of my sponsors get me stuff at cost. They make no money off of me, but also lose none. I get things cheaper and then they get essentially free advertising.
b) Contingency: if you place in the top X numbers in an event, you get money for that.

Otherwise, very few have 100% free sponsors. You would be extremely hard pressed to show up to a trackday here in Texas and find someone who is. I'm not even sure if Ty Howard does. I know the few AMA guys from here do, but also know of a few AMA guys who don't and spend a lot of money out of their own pocket.
Other than the street ride to show that the bikes will operate in traffic and not over heat (drag bikes) this will all be done on a closed course. No one will be going balls to the walls on the street during the event.

Upset about being sponsored? You must be talking about someone else that brought it up because I honestly don't care. Some people want to cry foul if you are sponsored and by your definition, then I am sponsored. So does that mean you or I have an unfair advantage? It's about making a fun, street "style" event (not a bunch of drag bikes or road racers) coming out and dominating one category or the next. Trying to even the field a little is all and make the rules not favor anyone type of bike.

No interest in this at all...
Thank you!

You are correct,...this was going to be tailored toward street bikes but still have performance categories in a controlled environment. So between a few forums, you've got the track guys (drag and roadracers) wanting all different things and the street guys wanting all different things. Doesn't sound like anyone will be happy and it'll turn into a keyboard racer topic with no one actually coming out to ride, race, or just interact with others for fun like intended...

That's fine, if people think it's a bad idea then I'll kill it before I actually waste any money making it happen.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Other than the street ride to show that the bikes will operate in traffic and not over heat (drag bikes) this will all be done on a closed course. No one will be going balls to the walls on the street during the event.

Upset about being sponsored? You must be talking about someone else that brought it up because I honestly don't care. Some people want to cry foul if you are sponsored and by your definition, then I am sponsored. So does that mean you or I have an unfair advantage? It's about making a fun, street "style" event (not a bunch of drag bikes or road racers) coming out and dominating one category or the next. Trying to even the field a little is all and make the rules not favor anyone type of bike.
Read:

I just don't understand how you'll be evening the field. Us fast track day/slow race guys who haven't given up street riding yet could easily bring our street bikes out and win it. No offense to street guys, but most of the fast street riders I see at track days result in one of two occurrences:
a) they realize what fast is
b) they keep their egos huge and end up crashing

Earlier it seemed you wanted to keep sponsored people out of it, which I just don't see how it is possible. Even still, I think that what you're promoting still isn't that great of an idea. If it is happening on a closed circuit (public roads closed off?) I see it as kind of an amateur style IOM TT? In which case I would definitely be interested so long as some qualifications were made for the riders who entered. I know that I wouldn't do it if there were just some street riding goons out there. They don't know how to pass safely, control their bikes as well at extreme speeds, etc. That's why I have a hard time when people ask me to work with them in beginner group: the beginners at track days terrify me! However, if there were some way to control that (such as qualification periods followed by release times where individuals are released one at a time), I think it would be a bit safer and more organized and would draw me in for sure.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
When Yamaha did the FZ-1 make-over in '06, they had King Kenny ride one around for a day. One of the poser rags printed his thoughts as as an article. He thought it was OK for a street bike, a lot nimbler then it's weight would indicate but his personal bike was a FJ1200. He felt no urge to trade. His remarks on street vs track was classic and spot on.
"The street takes balls, the track takes technique." Those that avoid the track have no technique. Those that won't race on the street have no balls.
Butler slapped that 600cc flat twin on a bicycle before there were roads (1888). I'd guess that the day after the first road opened, A couple of guys raced something on it.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
When Yamaha did the FZ-1 make-over in '06, they had King Kenny ride one around for a day. One of the poser rags printed his thoughts as as an article. He thought it was OK for a street bike, a lot nimbler then it's weight would indicate but his personal bike was a FJ1200. He felt no urge to trade. His remarks on street vs track was classic and spot on.
"The street takes balls, the track takes technique." Those that avoid the track have no technique. Those that won't race on the street have no balls.
Butler slapped that 600cc flat twin on a bicycle before there were roads (1888). I'd guess that the day after the first road opened, A couple of guys raced something on it.
And trying to win in a competition of "balls" where it takes guts over skill to win is how people get killed. It is impressive, but not worth it if you end up in a casket at the end. A competition of "technique" can be developed and perfected as an artform, not just random shitstorm of people going way over their heads to win at something they don't have the ability to be doing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts