Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case anyone is wondering no I did not crash the bike w/ intentions of selling it and am probing this question to see if I can pass it off as not crashed.

I just got this bike last weekend. I was told it has never been down and now that Ive had more time w/ the bike and looked it over really well while waxing it today I discovered a few things that seemed not quite right. Id just like to know your opinions on if you think this bike has been down at some point and then repaired.

These are the things that first made me wonder. The gaps in the intake cover and tank do not quite line up and I tried adjusting it today and it still comes out looking like this, also the gap in the plastic between the seat and the tail section, I dont remember it being like that on my 05.

Also today I noticed these things. Inside of the front end is not painted, it is very light as compared to the paint on the outside

And I noticed these paint runs as well, this one on the right hand side upper fairing and the second below the tail section on the left side

The bike has no visible signs of rash anywhere other then the left hand side cover where it says HONDA but it is not crash rash, it looks more like the bike was dropped in a garage or on the street it is not deep gouges more like light scuff marks as though something you could do w/ sand paper.

So with all of this presented would you think this bike has been down and now has aftermarket fairings hence the gaps in some plastic and been repainted due to the runs I found in the paint today. Another thing is that the 600RR sticker is missing from the tail section as well as CBR RACING on the front Fairings. I do realize that some people remove decals but I just thought I would mention this. Also is there anyway to tell the original color of a bike from the VIN?

·
Registered
971 Posts
If there are no gouges in the metal, then I don't think you can say with certainty that it's been down.

With regard to the plastics not fitting together, unless you pull them off and then put them on correctly, it'll be hard to get them to fit right. I've had dealers install my plastics incorrectly doing service on a bike, and more than once I had to pull pieces off and put them back on to get them to seat up correctly.

I don't know if you can tell the original color from the VIN. A dealer might though.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
it's been down. in one way or another.

No one gets aftermarket body panels/paint for a bike, unless they have to, really.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Meh....kinda the same thing I am thinking. The guy I bought it from seemed like a pretty decent guy ( I'm a reasonably good at judgement of character ) He bought the bike with 12K on it ( It now has 25K ) so its possible that it was sold to him as "never been down" or he in fact down it and is just lying about it. I do know bikes do not have crash records like car fax. I am waiting to receive the title from the previous owner we went to the bank and he paid off what was left on it now hes just waiting to get mailed the title so he can sign it and give it to me but the point is that I'm sure it is not a salvage title b/c it is easy to down a bike and fix it w/ out insurance and then no one is the wiser to begin with.

Overall the bike rides fine, mechanically it seems quite sound other then the few appearance blemishes it seems to be a pretty good bike.

Here are the scuff marks on the cover.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Here are the scuff marks on the cover.

It fell over. My 954 fell over in the garage and has worse scratches than that.

A general proviso. Before you buy the bike is the time to look for this stuff, not after. And if isn't clean enough to tell, walk. A bike that isn't clean isn't worth a look. Guy isn't willing to wash and wax his bike prior to sale what else is he not willing to do.

Can't say much about the OP's bike, I just can't tell from the photos and my monitor. Doesn't really matter though. It's the OP's bike now. Hope it rides good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does ride good and it was hard to tell how clean it was or was not on the day I looked at it. It was a very bright hot and humid day outside and there was a lot of refection off the bike. I did look the bike over, checked the chain slack check for the forks leaking looked it over but as you know you cant find every detail / blemish until you really spend time w/ something and fully look it over in and out of the sun light.

The exterior is not 100% perfect considering the fairings are gaped and the paint runs but its stuff you dont notice unless your up close and the bike does ride good so overall I'm not displeased but just a little bummed. I will see the previous owner again b/c I am going to go grab the title from him as soon as he gets it so I'll mention all this to him and see if there is more to it then he let on before, if not he got duped when the bike was sold to him

I have tried to track down the first owner, there was a packing slip in the box that the slip on pipe came in w/ an address of a town right next to me. I found the persons online and sent an e-mail but I have not heard anything, its for a women so I assume it was not her that was the first owner but must be someone she knew if she had parts sent to her address b/c it did appear to be a business from the website I found.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Id assume any bike with 25k miles has had an adventure or 2. Wouldn't bother me in the least unless I overpaid to get it in pristine condition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid $3,900 for it. He was asking $4,300.

One thing I would like additional thoughts on is even though it looks as though its had some stuff in the past why is it that the engine covers are pristine? I figure a crash bad enough to warrant the replacement of plastics would have left some good markings on one side of the bike on the engine side covers the subframe or the swingarm?

What I'm getting at is it plausible that someone just really liked the tribal orange and despite the fitment of aftermarket kits they went this route VS having the OEM fairings painted which would cost more in the end by the time you have that done and have the decals put back on.

Not saying the bike had not been down, just trying to see both sides of the coin as well.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I paid $3,900 for it. He was asking $4,300.

One thing I would like additional thoughts on is even though it looks as though its had some stuff in the past why is it that the engine covers are pristine? I figure a crash bad enough to warrant the replacement of plastics would have left some good markings on one side of the bike on the engine side covers the subframe or the swingarm?
Frame sliders.

What I'm getting at is it plausible that someone just really liked the tribal orange and despite the fitment of aftermarket kits they went this route VS having the OEM fairings painted which would cost more in the end by the time you have that done and have the decals put back on.
Sure. If that makes you feel better to believe.

KeS

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
That bike has been wrecked and the fairing was replaced with cheap Chinese fairings...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frame sliders.

Sure. If that makes you feel better to believe.

KeS
I didn't say it to "make myself feel better" I said it as just a possibility. All I care about is that the bike rides fine which it does, the fact that a few fairings dont line up is not a huge concern to me. I'm just asking for peoples thoughts and opinions good or bad and not trying to paint a "best case situation" as to convince my self that the bike had never been down.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
If there are no gouges in the metal, then I don't think you can say with certainty that it's been down.

With regard to the plastics not fitting together, unless you pull them off and then put them on correctly, it'll be hard to get them to fit right. I've had dealers install my plastics incorrectly doing service on a bike, and more than once I had to pull pieces off and put them back on to get them to seat up correctly.

I don't know if you can tell the original color from the VIN. A dealer might though.
Honda panels don't fit that way. Honda's known for their fit and finish. The bike's been down.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
You do realize that the engine side covers can be easily replaced right? If it was crashed and they were damaged, I'd assume they were replaced. At this point who the fuck cares though? You bought the bike, and it rides well. Bikes get crashed and repaired all the time, it's really not that big a deal. Fairings are delicate and easily damaged, but also just as easily replaced. The bike underneath doesn't care. Yours are probably aftermarket, oh well. Get over it and go ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I do resize engine covers can be replaced after all they are held on with bolts ....... But I also know that it is not always possible to 100% cover up crash damage either so that's why I asked.

For those of you that actually read my posts you can see that I'm not crying or whining about the bike, I was about 90% sure it had been down but I wanted to ask others just to get their thoughts it so I don't know where the "get over it" type responses are coming from since I never led on that I was truly pissed off or anything. I thank those who gave their thoughts and opinions without a condescending attitude.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Honda panels don't fit that way. Honda's known for their fit and finish. The bike's been down.
I had an F4i, and that is one of the bikes (F4i, F2, ex250, Hayabusa) I had in mind with my response. When the panels are installed incorrectly, the seams don't match up and you get gaps and wind noise.

However, now that I see the picture of the stator cover, I agree it has been down. The engine covers, bar ends, pegs, and levers are what I look at for evidence. Plastics are an indicator, sure, but they can be damaged in other ways. I get what folks are saying about 'no one replaces OEM fairings with aftermarket unless the bike's been down' and in the majority of cases, I agree that is true. But there are other cases where one would do so as well (damage while trailering for example). My point was I would need to see scratches in the metal (like on the stator cover) to be certain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The scratches in the cover seem like more from a drop in a garage or the pavement more so then crash damage but its always hard to tell. They are not deep gouges at all as if the bike slid but more like surface scratches. The bar ends and pegs are fine but those are also replaceable. Ill probably never know for certain but I'd point more towards it being crashed at some point then not. Ill see the previous owner again either late this weekend or early next week to go and get the title to the bike so ill bring all this up and see what he has to say.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Yes I do resize engine covers can be replaced after all they are held on with bolts ....... But I also know that it is not always possible to 100% cover up crash damage either so that's why I asked.

For those of you that actually read my posts you can see that I'm not crying or whining about the bike, I was about 90% sure it had been down but I wanted to ask others just to get their thoughts it so I don't know where the "get over it" type responses are coming from since I never led on that I was truly pissed off or anything. I thank those who gave their thoughts and opinions without a condescending attitude.
Unless the frame was damaged everything else can be replaced and crash damage can be fixed. Usually frame damage, even just a little scratch on the frame, will have the bike totalled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's pretty much what I figured as well. I'm anxious to see the title now buying suge it's not a salvage title since the bike was being sold as not being down. I figure the bike wa out down but insurance was not involved so the title won't say it was totaled or it was not just bad of a crash to begin with that would not have totaled it anyway but it does not take much either.like I said it rides fine, runs well and unless you look ode you can't notice the imperfections. Yes I could have taken longer to look the bike over but there were very few CBR's in my area to choose from. Overall I'm happy with the bike so that's all that matters

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
The reason I told you to get over it and ride is because you're going to all the trouble of starting, and continuing a thread with no actual purpose. It's an exercise in futility. If the bike runs, and rides, and you like it then ride it. WTF does it matter if it was ever down? New plastics and cases make the thing 100% fixed. Obviously it hasn't been crashed hard enough to do serious damage, so why care at all? It's not like asking questions repeatedly on a forum is gonna get you a complete blow by blow description of every time someone farted on the seat or sneezed on it.

BTW, carfax is a load of crap even on cars. People that dont pay for full coverage still crash cars, and bikes, and fix them. I see bikes on Palomar mountain crashed every weekend, and most of them will be put back together with spare parts from ebay and be back on the road the next weekend, good as new. People seem to think that dropping a bike makes it worthless, and always ask this silly "has it ever been down?" question. Look at the bike, is it seriously damaged? No? Ok then.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts