Sport Bikes banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
these are great bikes

Dont let anyone fool you, I bought the exact bike a little over 2 years ago for $600, it still runs like new, dont let the mileage bug you, it will run forever, these bikes are damn near indestructable. the only thing ive had to do to mine is change the tires, ive never had 1 thing go wrong with it in over 2 years and i ride it at least 50 miles a day and it puts up with it great. so in conclusion, great beginner bike, great gas mileage, wonderfully smooth riding, and totally worth it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I dont care if it is a Honda, a 28 year old bike is no bike for a beginner, unless you are ready to have the wrench out quite often.

Part of the fun of gettin a first bike is being able to ride it, not worry about the next thing to go wrong.

There is a reason it is $600. Cant cheap out on motorcycling...save a bit, and find something in the $2000 range.
find me something besides a 250 in my area and il go buy it

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
A lot of good and bad advice has been thrown around in here. $600 seems to be a fair price for that bike, however it is NOT a good beginner bike. Its too old and its too heavy. I cant see how anyone could justify this as being a good beginner bike. Get it if you want it but i garentee if you do you will either drop it and never find parts for it, or you will never be able to get it running. A beginner bike should be reliable so you can FOCUS on learning how to ride. If you wanna learn how to repair, then go ahead and get it. But i bet that if you do in fact buy it, you wont even get 1k miles on that thing in a year.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'd rock a bike like that especially for the price. I'd like to find one like that around here in good shape to use as a commuter,but most older bikes around here are junk or their owners want too much if they are in decent shape.

Our Ninja 250 just isn't comfortable for me in that role as I commute 72 miles a day round trip. The ergos suck,the seat sucks,the fairing if you want to call it that...sucks. Power is OK and mileage is decent(avg. 58-60),but that's about it.

Great little back road twisties carver,but for droning on the hi-way I can think of 100+ bikes that would be better and that Silver Wing is definitely one of them.

Is it the best beginner bike?
Probably not,lots of factors to consider such as how good of shape is it really in.

Is the OP a squid or do they have their head on straight?

Is the OP mechanically inclined or willing to learn,a quick study as they say? The big problem with a lot of young riders today is they never started out riding/wrenching on old dirt bikes when they were in their teens and now want to take up the hobby/sport. Their idea of working or modifying a bike is to change out a windshield,grips or slip-ons and change their own oil.

The OPs physical size/strength. Seen lots of big ol' Hill Billy types start out on bikes just like that and they still looked like they were riding a scooter.

For the price you couldn't really go wrong and if you could get it for say $450-500 cash money and stick a few hundred in it to freshen it up then it could be a worthwhile commuter bike to own. I would keep a bike like that stock/with fairings on.

They really weren't built as performance bikes(except the Turbos which where more or less a case study for Honda),but as fitted they made great little "Baby Gold Wings" for women and smaller riders that either didn't want the weight,size,cost etc. of the Wing,but still wanted a touring machine that could be counted on for the long haul. That's the place for the Sliver Wing and that's where it's in it's true element.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Holy Old post-bumpage, batman.

I agree, it was a terrible idea for a first bike. Glad I didn't get it.

I chose another, equally terrible choice, the YZF 600!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Holy Old post-bumpage, batman.

I agree, it was a terrible idea for a first bike. Glad I didn't get it.

I chose another, equally terrible choice, the YZF 600!
why was it such a bad choice? and I want to hear your answer,not the other know it alls who post on here,I already know what theyre going to say

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Thank god you didnt get that thing. That is probably the ugliest thing you could buy. OMG that would have been bad

im sure gimp diggity picked it up so he could go over 100 MPH for the first time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
why was it such a bad choice? and I want to hear your answer,not the other know it alls who post on here,I already know what theyre going to say
meh, the reasons everyone else here would give "the bike will kill you! too twitchy! you're gonna loop it! if you panic you're going down!!!"

in all reality, I've put on about 1,000 miles since I got it, and there HAVE been panic situations, but the bike hasn't let me down. Very good, comfortable bike, with just the right amount of power, IMO. It really is all the power I'll need...and I feel that way even after 2 months (maybe I'll feel different in 2 years...who knows).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a little heavier than what is ideal for a first bike, but you could do worse. Those GL and CX series Honda v-twins have a well deserved reputation for being practically indestructible. If it's being regularly ridden and maintained I wouldn't be scared of the mileage.
I had one from new .. had it 10 years and had 95K on it when I got hit by a car... rode it every day back and forth to work and down to florida and georgia once in awhile... had plenty of power even with two people on it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My first bike was a '81 CX-500. It's not that hard to remove the side bags and trunk. Most parts are still available new from Honda except the side body panels. It's a cheap, pretty reliable bike with well known issues when they spring up. in other words, there's a ton of info on the net to help you fix something if it breaks or you have a problem to identify. They do like some choke when cold. The shaft drive is pretty bullet proof. The front fairing does make it on the heavy side, but also gives you nice weather protection in the colder, wetter times of the year.

Not knowing where you are, your age or size, I can't say if this is "too heavy" for you as a beginner bike or suggest other budget bikes in your area. What I can tell you is that it's better to drop a $600 practically indestructible bike than a newer, more expensive, fragile bike. The age and mileage is no big deal for that bike. You'll learn some maintenance procedures by owning it that will transfer well to the next bike you get.

If you buy it, change the oil & filter, (it uses a paper cartridge down low in front under a metal can). People have converted them to modern spin on filters too. Change the gear oil. Flush and bleed the brake fluid on both front and back brakes. Use a turkey baster from the Dollar store to suck out the old fluid, wipe the inside of the reservoir out, fill with clean fluid and then bleed the brakes until clean fluid is coming out w/o bubbles. Watch a youtube video if you haven't bled brakes before. There are different ways, but it's easy to do yourself with a simple kit that's cheap.

Change the coolant. Buy an owner's manual if it doesn't come with one. A shop/repair manual too if you can find one. Learn about the adjustable air suspension and set it up for your weight and riding preference.

It's not that much heavier than b***** displacement, newer bikes. It's got enough power to take you anywhere. It will be reving higher rpms on the freeway, but it won't hurt the bike any. It was built in the era of 55 mph national speed limits and that's just how it's geared. There are tons of mods possible if you like it and decide to go down that rabbit hole, but it will always be what it is, so don't try and turn it into something it's not.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts