Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currrently ride a 1999 Honda CBR600F4. I recently found an 04' Yamaha R6 with 230 miles on it. I am thinking about getting this bike. My main reason for upgrading is for Fuel Injection (my bike takes a couple tries to start sometimes) and performance. I purchased my CBR for 5,500 and getting this R6 might mean adding an additional 2,500 dollars on top of my current bike. Would getting the R6 be a discernable performance increase even though the bike is for street purposes? Or should I wait to see what Honda and Yamaha have for 05? What would you guys do in this situation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
As often as 600's change... unless you hate that F4 I'd hold onto it for a while longer. But I can understand the desire for a new machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
bartzx9r said:
its hard to resist a new bike
Yeah, sometimes I like trying new things simply for the sake of trying new things. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
If it were me- I would wait till the 05's are out, and if none of them give you a chub... then get a nice 03 or 04 left over or barely used... youll save lots of money that way- and the bike will still be as fast as it is now.

Like Mykl said, unless you really dont like the F4, wait it out a bit...its not gonna depreciate that much in a year like the 04's and 03's....

I also think the differences in performance are gonna be if you are a good rider or a great rider....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I kind of wanted an undertail exhaust, usd forks, and radial brakes... even though I probably will never see complete use of them. And the point about getting it cheaper later works well too. I think I'll wait for next year. Does anyone know when the new R6s and 600RRs are on sale? Wasn't it like March 05?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and what is the trick to starting carburated bikes? SOmetimes when i thumb the starter, it just cranks and does not start. I hold it for a few secs and stop to not overheat the starter. The choke is always on when I start it up. I also found that if I twist the grip like an 1/8 turn while thumbing the starter it helps but then the revs go up to like 5k when the engine finally turns over. Will that cause long term wear?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or sometimes it starts but starts to die shortly, so I have to keep revving the engine for a couple seconds to keep it alive until the choke takes over and holds the revs at 3k. It is like 80-90 degrees outside. If it is this difficult to start when it is warm out, I can only imagine the trouble when winter hits. I know the majority of you guys have carbs too so you have the same probs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
How many miles are on the bike? Perhaps it's in need of new plugs and an air filter? Maybe run some carb cleaner through it. Sounds like it just needs a bit of a tune-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Keon355 said:
Oh and what is the trick to starting carburated bikes? SOmetimes when i thumb the starter, it just cranks and does not start. I hold it for a few secs and stop to not overheat the starter. The choke is always on when I start it up. I also found that if I twist the grip like an 1/8 turn while thumbing the starter it helps but then the revs go up to like 5k when the engine finally turns over. Will that cause long term wear? Or sometimes it starts but starts to die shortly, so I have to keep revving the engine for a couple seconds to keep it alive until the choke takes over and holds the revs at 3k. It is like 80-90 degrees outside. If it is this difficult to start when it is warm out, I can only imagine the trouble when winter hits. I know the majority of you guys have carbs too so you have the same probs?

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
True, fuel injected bikes jump to life with little effort, but your bike must need a tune up if its that hard to start. How many miles on it? I recommend you do it yourself - you'll learn tons about your bike, and its fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bike is a 1999 that has ~9,000 miles on it. It had 5,500 when I bought it. The bike is in pretty good shape, but it is 5 years old. What kind of tune-up do you suggest? I am completely lost with the carb work though that is probably what it needs. That is another reason for upgrading the bike... getting a FI one before carbs become too troublesome to deal with.
And I still have a 2 year warranty with the bike, would this be anything the dealer might cover?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And one more thing... even when the bike is at operating temp, the idle fluctuates somewhat. It kind of vacillates between 1100-1300 RPM. Would this symptom indicate any problems or is this normal? Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nig said:
Try starting it without the choke first.
This only works if I ride my bike to like the store to pick up something and come out within 15 min. Usually when I get off work (bike has been sitting for 8 hours) or start it in the morning, the bike is cold (coolant lvl reads below first tick mark) and the choke is required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Keon355 said:
The bike is a 1999 that has ~9,000 miles on it. It had 5,500 when I bought it. The bike is in pretty good shape, but it is 5 years old. What kind of tune-up do you suggest? I am completely lost with the carb work though that is probably what it needs. That is another reason for upgrading the bike... getting a FI one before carbs become too troublesome to deal with.
And I still have a 2 year warranty with the bike, would this be anything the dealer might cover?


I've got a '83 with the same miles and it fires right up every time, NP!

You sir need a tune up on that bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Keon355 said:
And one more thing... even when the bike is at operating temp, the idle fluctuates somewhat. It kind of vacillates between 1100-1300 RPM. Would this symptom indicate any problems or is this normal? Thanks for the help.
That sounds normal, don't worry about the slight fluxuation in RPM's.

Change the spark plugs and air filter. Those two by themselves should help the bike run noticeably better. But, before you change either of those spray some carb cleaner through the carbs. Search around on more specific proceedures, but I'm willing to bet that the carbs are in need of a little cleaning.

After that you should have yourself a very nice running motorcycle. Even if you paid a shop to do the work for you it probably wouldn't cost all that much in labor... a few hours at most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Sounds like the carbs were fucked with before you got it to me.

I'd plan on taking it to someone for a carb sync if I were you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
i have a 2000 and it starts with no choke with little effort, i would say new plugs might be a good idea, and your idle fluctuating is normall...its gonna move a little bit

About selling your bike...f4's are solid bikes, them and f4i's have almost a cult following with some people, everyone regards them as some of the best bikes around...it might be a little low on power compared to new bikes, so if you want a little more power regear it, go up 3 in the back or something to get some more acceleration
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top